V Aberdeen, Saturday 30Th September 2014

stillresigned

Based on our last two displays I am seriously concerned that we'll face a possible right doing on Saturday. Against this, Aberdeen have hardly hit the new season firing on all cylinders themselves, however I could think of no other team a struggling team would like to facelift at the moment than Thistle. In addition to the natural pessimism of most Jags supporters, am I alone in concluding that we haven't moved on markedly from last year? In particular I feel we have serious weaknesses in central defence, which to be frank, has been found out seriously in or last two outings, only the lack of quality in the Morton forward lines allowed us to escape unscathed on Tuesday evening. That and of course the fact that Doolan was restored to his rightful place in the starting eleven. However, no matter or how hard Dools works we're still in the position we were last year of having no plan B, when our passing game is ineffectual.. As a start we should forget playing Stevenson as a striker, quite simply because he isn't one, play him in midfield and restore Doolan to the forad line. As for the centre of defence, Ballartoni actually seems to be regressing, whilst I will cut Muirhead a wee bit of slack, Ashe did have a long term injury. Nonetheless, our central defence does not exude or encourage confidence.

• Like 1

I actually think we should revert to plan A - our passing game.

Too many times we are playing the ball back to front when this time last year we were keeping possession better and making teams work hard to get the ball from us. I see the long diagonal ball, especially to Stephen O'Donnell,as a great out for us and many of our chances are created from that but is becoming too often that the long straight ball is coming in to play. Muirhead was most guilty of this at Cappielow.

I think the vast majority of fans want to see Doolan start up top instead of Stevenson. The problem will be to decide who makes way from the three in behind the striker if Stevenson is to remain in the starting eleven.

I'm not optimistic of winning at Pittodrie but I don't see us taking a doing though.

All the pressure is on Aberdeen. If Seabourne and McMillan are back we are a much better unit and a draw isn't out of our reach.

Hopefully we'll have a couple of new signings in as well.

On the other hand if we go with Muirhead, Balatoni and Keenan we could get totally rogered.

Presumably Seaborne is back, hopefully anyway, I doubt McMillan will be.

Gallacher

O'Donnell

Balatoni

Seaborne

Keenan

Osman

Fraser

Bannigan

Stevenson

Higginbotham

Doolan

Subs:

Fox

Muirhead

Wilson

Craigen

Lawless

Elliott

Duggan

Lawless unlucky to drop out but I think we could need the strength of Stevenson at the tip of our midfield for this match, he'll have to cover on the right wing as well, we lack balance with Stevenson covering the right though but it's difficult to drop one of the current 3 in central midfield.

The match preview has Osman, Fraser, Seabourne and McMillan all doubtful.

They would be a massive loss.

A massive loss that would leave

Gallacher/Fox

O'Donnell

Muirhead

Balatoni

Carroll/Keenan

Bannigan

Craigen

Stevenson

Lawless

Higginbotham

Doolan

plus Elliott and the U21s.

Thistle took four off Ross County, who only lost by a last minute goal to Dundee United, who gubbed Aberdeen 3-0 at Pittodrie. What's the problem?

Aberdeen lost home and away to Real Sociedad in the Europa League qualifiers. Well, what do expect, Real Sociedad are a top class team, aren't they? Except, this week they lost in the next round to Krasnodar. No, I haven't heard of them, either.

Gallacher

O'Donnell - Balatoni - Seaborne - Carroll

Osman - Bannigan

Fraser

Elliot - Doolan - Higginbotham

Big debate is whether to bring Doolan in for Stevenson. Ryan does not look 100% fit yet and has struggled to do the chasing down that a lone striker needs to do.

Got a feeling Archie will bring in Elliot for Lawless.

Hopefully Seaborne will be fit but on the other hand would not want to risk any further injury by playing him. He is going to be a very important player for us. If he does not make then I would keep Stevenson upfront. Any result here would be good.

Edited by Alan Murray