January Window

ayrshire jag

I would love to see us go after Lyle Taylor again but, although he hasn't been scoring a lot for Scunthorpe, he seems to be starting most weeks so I can't see it.

I wonder if it would be a backward step bringing ATS back to the club on loan for the remainder of season? Doesn't seem to have featured at all for Wigan in the league, unsure if he will be in Malky McKay's plans or not. I can't see us looking to extend Jake Carroll's loan, unless we can't get anyone else in before end of January.

Another Wigan player worth a look would be Fraser Fyvie. He's not been playing but I don't know if this is because of injury. Quality player but does play in an area that we are reasonably strong in.

Another Wigan player worth a look would be Fraser Fyvie.

Fraser Fyvie would be great, the problem is I think he would be miles out of our reach. It's a really weird position we are in because we have some good players and any player I can think of that would improve us, I also think we would never be able to sign. Think we will be getting a few more Osman, Frans, Seaborne type signings - ones we have never heard of but are up to the job.

Fraser Fyvie would be great, the problem is I think he would be miles out of our reach. It's a really weird position we are in because we have some good players and any player I can think of that would improve us, I also think we would never be able to sign. Think we will be getting a few more Osman, Frans, Seaborne type signings - ones we have never heard of but are up to the job.

That would be grand but as I just posted elsewhere we've no way of knowing just how much extending Frans's contract will eat into our budget. It wouldn't surprise me if we make only one significant further signing. a short term or loanee who, if not exactly an out and out goalscorer, plays high up the park.

• Like 1

It would be nice to see us make more signings, but unlike last season I think we're approaching the window with a squad that is capable of seeing us through quite comfortably. We don't really have any passengers and any changes may just be tinkering. Certainly don't need the overhaul of last season's mid term.

• 2 weeks later...

It would be nice to see us make more signings, but unlike last season I think we're approaching the window with a squad that is capable of seeing us through quite comfortably. We don't really have any passengers and any changes may just be tinkering. Certainly don't need the overhaul of last season's mid term.

Seriously " quite comfortably "

An attacking central midfielder is a top priority. Sick of watching us outplaying teams and then hitting a million meaningless crosses into the box. We've became so predictable in everything we do from formation to substitutions its untrue.

Get someone who can run into the box from a central position FFS. if we sign another wide player I'll cry. We ned someone who'll change our predictability.

An attacking central midfielder is a top priority. Sick of watching us outplaying teams and then hitting a million meaningless crosses into the box. We've became so predictable in everything we do from formation to substitutions its untrue. Get someone who can run into the box from a central position FFS. if we sign another wide player I'll cry. We ned someone who'll change our predictability.

I'd argue another wide player would help us, Higgy hasn't hit form, I like Elliott but he's predictable & Lawless just isn't suitable for some games. Unless McDaid is given a run of games, I wouldn't be against that, then another wide player would be ok in my book.

We don't really need an attacking midfielder IMO, we don't really play with one. In our formation we should really have both Fraser and Bannigan getting into the box, or whoever's playing centre mid, as Osman should be sitting deep. Fraser was doing this very effectively pre-injury, and hasn't been quite as good since he came back, although he seems to be working his way back into it. Bannigan is a bit more defensive minded and hangs back a bit more IMO but still gets into the box. The problem, as far as I can see, is that the service has been, in the main rank rotten for the last wee while. Higgy has been pretty crap for the last wee while, and while Elliott works exceptionally hard, we all know of his shortcomings (although he's another that gets into the box a lot when he's up the park). Clearly, the main priority for us should be a left back, and, if theres money left, a striker. The 3 options we have for left back are currently Carroll, McMillan, and Bannigan (and Christie Elliott on saturday's evidence I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't want him playing there more often). Carroll is away back to Huddersfield soon and in any case has been poor most of the time anyway. Bannigan clearly isn't entirely comfortable playing left back, and he doesn't have the pace to do it, plus we miss him too much in midfield when he's not there. McMillan is the best option for it, but he's also the best option for right back, where he's more comfortable, and is a bit too right footed for my liking as a left back, having to cut back onto his right foot takes a bit of sting and pace out of the attack when he plays there. Failing to address the left back position properly was, IMO, the major failure of the summer window. A striker would be a good acquisition as well, but IMO, if we can start providing the service more consistantly, then both Doolan and Stevenson are more than capable of getting the goals.

We don't really need an attacking midfielder IMO, we don't really play with one. In our formation we should really have both Fraser and Bannigan getting into the box, or whoever's playing centre mid, as Osman should be sitting deep. Fraser was doing this very effectively pre-injury, and hasn't been quite as good since he came back, although he seems to be working his way back into it. Bannigan is a bit more defensive minded and hangs back a bit more IMO but still gets into the box. The problem, as far as I can see, is that the service has been, in the main rank rotten for the last wee while. Higgy has been pretty crap for the last wee while, and while Elliott works exceptionally hard, we all know of his shortcomings (although he's another that gets into the box a lot when he's up the park). Clearly, the main priority for us should be a left back, and, if theres money left, a striker. The 3 options we have for left back are currently Carroll, McMillan, and Bannigan (and Christie Elliott on saturday's evidence I suppose, but I certainly wouldn't want him playing there more often). Carroll is away back to Huddersfield soon and in any case has been poor most of the time anyway. Bannigan clearly isn't entirely comfortable playing left back, and he doesn't have the pace to do it, plus we miss him too much in midfield when he's not there. McMillan is the best option for it, but he's also the best option for right back, where he's more comfortable, and is a bit too right footed for my liking as a left back, having to cut back onto his right foot takes a bit of sting and pace out of the attack when he plays there. Failing to address the left back position properly was, IMO, the major failure of the summer window. A striker would be a good acquisition as well, but IMO, if we can start providing the service more consistantly, then both Doolan and Stevenson are more than capable of getting the goals.

Some good points there. As I've said before if the budget is all but gone on Frans then I think we can make do with what we've got for left back. Ideally tho' I'd be happier to see (as pointed out above) a naturally left sided full back as balance to the right sided Higgy. Bannigan as we saw yesterday can't handle pace and unlike McMillan isn't good at backing off to time a clean tackle. It should be added tho' it would be hard to keep a fit McMillan out of the team. In just about every game he's played this season he's been excellent and he's obviously a strong character. Very similar in situation I suppose to Welsh.

I more or less share oneteaminglasgow's last point. I feel the bigger problem is not making enough goalscoring chances rather than Stevenson or Doolan squandering that many. A player like Lyle Taylor would be different as even when he's not scoring his speed and strength can stretch a defence. I guess that sort of quality would be unlikely even on loan.

My number one priority would be a midfielder who can play both wide and central. Ideally left sided and if that was the case I'd put strength ahead of pace.

Some good points there. As I've said before if the budget is all but gone on Frans then I think we can make do with what we've got for left back. Ideally tho' I'd be happier to see (as pointed out above) a naturally left sided full back as balance to the right sided Higgy. Bannigan as we saw yesterday can't handle pace and unlike McMillan isn't good at backing off to time a clean tackle. It should be added tho' it would be hard to keep a fit McMillan out of the team. In just about every game he's played this season he's been excellent and he's obviously a strong character. Very similar in situation I suppose to Welsh.

I more or less share oneteaminglasgow's last point. I feel the bigger problem is not making enough goalscoring chances rather than Stevenson or Doolan squandering that many. A player like Lyle Taylor would be different as even when he's not scoring his speed and strength can stretch a defence. I guess that sort of quality would be unlikely even on loan.

My number one priority would be a midfielder who can play both wide and central. Ideally left sided and if that was the case I'd put strength ahead of pace.

Someone like Stevo?

I disagree. I think we're better than our results, and as someone has said before "game management" is the biggest issue. Our positive goal difference is some evidence of this. I don't think we're in a position to make individuals signings that will significantly improve our team. If we are relegated, or even threatened, then it'll be down to a failure to win games that we have dominated, it won't be down to having poor players.

• Like 5