International Break Thread.......post A Personal But Trivial Thistle Memory

thebiglemon

12th September 1998. Beat Stirling Albion 1-0 at Firhill. Nothing memorable about that. The Bino's player being dragged from the field by their manager after a red card, different, but not hugely memorable. What does make this game stick in the mind is that it was the last time I saw a player who was older than me score. Tommy Bryce was the player/manager and headed in the only goal. I'm pretty sure that is a personal record that will now survive.

Christ, that's a worry and a thread in itself. Mine would be Lee Mair vs Hearts last season but everyone bar Gall in the squad is younger than me now and I don't hold out much hope for him. Can we get Kevin Phillips out of retirement, I'm sure he'd knock in a couple.

Apart from that, the Airdrie fog game in the early 90s. Anyone who was there will remember that and still be bewildered how it finished but it was also the first time I'd ever thrown the ball back on to the park from the crowd. The second and to date last time was the Annan away cup game 3 or 4 years back.

Christ, that's a worry and a thread in itself. Mine would be Lee Mair vs Hearts last season but everyone bar Gall in the squad is younger than me now and I don't hold out much hope for him. Can we get Kevin Phillips out of retirement, I'm sure he'd knock in a couple.

Apart from that, the Airdrie fog game in the early 90s. Anyone who was there will remember that and still be bewildered how it finished but it was also the first time I'd ever thrown the ball back on to the park from the crowd. The second and to date last time was the Annan away cup game 3 or 4 years back.

I'm sure I was at that, wasn't it 5-1 Airdrie. Johnny Flood and Callum Campbell destroyed us. Or maybe that was another time

I'm sure I was at that, wasn't it 5-1 Airdrie. Johnny Flood and Callum Campbell destroyed us. Or maybe that was another time

The fog game was the one Campbell broke his leg playing for us, the 5-1 game was under lamont, Mitchel scored a peach and lamont done his after game team talk on the park..... we all thought he was wrapping it then

Could be the game Dick Dastardly is talking about - roughly 1998, we were playing someone like Clydebank or Stirling Albion. That kind of period. Anyway, was sitting in the JH stand and Thistle weren't playing well. A pretty big guy with a skinhead and leather jacket is standing up and screaming all the time - almost every time Thistle lose the ball he explodes ("That's f***in' schoolboy stuff" and the like). I think most people just guessed he was drunk or a bit nuts. Next thing, someone like Alan Morgan gets a hold of the ball and the guy goes "Right. Take your time. Keep it down." Then a defender tries to stop him and he goes "OK, just get past him." Then all of a sudden the player is through on goal and he shouts "Right. Shoot!" - he does and it ends up in the top corner! Also the stand was quiet enough for the player to hear him, so he must have known what he was doing after all!

Just want to see if anyone else was there and remembers this? I was only eight at the time but is a really vivid memory.

Used to go on family holidays to Butlins as a kid and I was always enrolled in the football coaching classes. One year in Clachton (?) the coach a Scottish guy called Danny was walking past our challet and my Gran asked him in for a wee whisky. Turns out he and my gran got pi55ed and he missed afternoon coaching. think he got sacked. He told my Gran he had played a month at Thistle under Bertie Auld, he was Danny Hegan http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Hegan

Used to go on family holidays to Butlins as a kid and I was always enrolled in the football coaching classes. One year in Clachton (?) the coach a Scottish guy called Danny was walking past our challet and my Gran asked him in for a wee whisky. Turns out he and my gran got pi55ed and he missed afternoon coaching. think he got sacked. He told my Gran he had played a month at Thistle under Bertie Auld, he was Danny Hegan http://en.wikipedia....iki/Danny_Hegan

0 appearances and 0 goals. :D

got a distinct memory of Denis McQuade scoring a hatrick at firhill v dundee, he was playing centre forward that day and one goal entered the net via the back of his head when the winger (lawrie or ewing ?) just managed to catch the ball before the bye line and crossed while Denis had turned around to go back thinking he wasnt going to get it !!! Typical Mcquade , hey !

I think this might have been the Arabs, rather than Dundee. And I also think all Denis's goals were headers.

I remember at Brechin in the early 80's one time we were all behind the goal and it's was frozen and suddenly we all began to almost dance in unison one foot down, one foot up to try and get warm. It just looked so silly.

The other one for me is when Roughie was dropped for a Scotland match and replaced by David Stewart, who managed to save a penalty in his only appearance for the national team. Thistle were playing about a week later and the chant came up " if you hate Davie Stewart clap your hands" ; my friends clapped the loudest!

Somebody mentioned last season the day at a frozen Meadowbank, where Gordon Dalziel was coming off the subs bench and must have taken off about five layers of clothes before coming on. He was still a fat lazy turd tho'.

Anyone remember my header against Hamilton december 2004? I didnt score no but was sitting quite high up in jackie husband during dire 1 nil loss ( think it was derek & gerrys last game )

The ball got cleared into the stand I knew it was getting closer and closer to me then I stood up and BANG what a header right back on the park! got the biggest cheer of the match and ther wer shouts of Sign him! was about 16 at time some buzz felt like running down onto the park and show that shower a thing or two.

got a mention in rab christies evening times column aswell thats how bad the game was!

Anyone remember my header against Hamilton december 2004? I didnt score no but was sitting quite high up in jackie husband during dire 1 nil loss ( think it was derek & gerrys last game )

The ball got cleared into the stand I knew it was getting closer and closer to me then I stood up and BANG what a header right back on the park! got the biggest cheer of the match and ther wer shouts of Sign him! was about 16 at time some buzz felt like running down onto the park and show that shower a thing or two.

got a mention in rab christies evening times column aswell thats how bad the game was!

Sorry, I don't mind your heidie, GJ. I do mind sitting beside some of our non participating players yon day. It was Jamie Mitchell's turn to buy the pies. Meeting a few of them shortly before the game when they were floating around Hamilton desperately looking for a bookies. A real professional set up back in those days.

Sorry, I don't mind your heidie, GJ. I do mind sitting beside some of our non participating players yon day. It was Jamie Mitchell's turn to buy the pies. Meeting a few of them shortly before the game when they were floating around Hamilton desperately looking for a bookies. A real professional set up back in those days.

Thats a pity was some heidie put grant murray to shame! haha yeah top pros going to the pub during a match to catch the grand national as we get relegated.

Was that the season when we beat them four times?

I think we beat them 3 times that season.

1-0 at Pittodrie (David Lilley), 2-0 at Firhill and 1-0 at Pittodrie (Alex Burns). We played them a third time at Pittodrie and lost 2-1. Leigh Hinds scored the winner for them.

Going back to the Alex Burns game - that's the angriest I've ever seen a home support after a defeat. It was also the first (and last) time I've ever been part of a Thistle support that was held in the ground after the final whistle for our own safety. One of my best away trips following Thistle.

Being told by my wee Hibs supporting colleague that John Lambie was a patient on Ward 12 at the (Blackpool) Vic when I worked in the kitchen there, c.1992. The great man had suffered an injury on the beach during a bit of "horseplay" with the players, following a closed doors match against Blackpool FC.

The only time I ever met the great man - I nipped out of work for 20 minutes or so to have a blether with him on the ward, nervous that he might not be interested in talking to me. I couldn't have been more wrong. We chatted away good style about the Jags and I even got him to give me his autograph . . . for my wee boy, of course.

Being told by my wee Hibs supporting colleague that John Lambie was a patient on Ward 12 at the (Blackpool) Vic when I worked in the kitchen there, c.1992. The great man had suffered an injury on the beach during a bit of "horseplay" with the players, following a closed doors match against Blackpool FC.

The only time I ever met the great man - I nipped out of work for 20 minutes or so to have a blether with him on the ward, nervous that he might not be interested in talking to me. I couldn't have been more wrong. We chatted away good style about the Jags and I even got him to give me his autograph . . . for my wee boy, of course.

:thumbsup2:

What happens in Blackpool stays in Blackpool just doesn't sound the same