Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Was thinking that too - is that definitely Firhill?

Definitely Firhill. The roof only extended about a quarter of the way down the terracing. It was basically there to protect the punters when they were placing their bets on the greyhounds; the bookies' dookits were along the back wall; I can remember as a nipper seeing the closed hatches. The roof got damaged in the 1968 hurricane, and got removed later that year, or in 1969.

Second pic I can see McParland Cunningham Niven and in the distance is that John Divers? And Donnie of course. Wille C used to get called Twiggy I remember.

Good shout! I though it was John Divers too. Working on that, from the Official History book it must be 2-2 in season 66-67(scorers for us: Andy Roxburgh, Johnny Flanagan). And now I'm certain that the two other players are George Cumming (left) and Hugh Tinney. Tinney would later be sold to Bury for 30K, if I remember correctly.

Bizarre, though.... the OH book gives the crowd as 2,000 !

Jaggernaut / A'body,

You can easily put your photies straight onto the board.

At tinypic, under the heading "Grab Your Code" go to the second line down i.e. "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards".

Simply copy and paste that whole line into your message and it will appear when you submit your post.

Thanks! I tried it, but it won't let me copy that line! I tried to type it out, but that also failed. In the meantime, here's another pic. Eerie floodlights on the main stand, and a dim view of part of the city end terracing.

I've got this labelled as "Goal vs. Killie," so some research required for details...

goal_v_killie.jpg

A tricky one, as I can't make out the top left autograph. All the others played in 2-3 defeat to Killie on 24th December, 1960. Our scorers were Alex Wright and Tommy Ewing. Here it looks like Tommy Ewing has just scored. I think that's George Muir coming in to join the celebration.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Right, this alternative method should work.

Go to your pic @ tinypic. Click on it, it will "pop out". At the bottom left of your pic click "view raw image". You should now see just your pic isolated.

In your address bar you'll see that this has now generated a unique URL for your pic.

Now copy and paste this unique URL into a special place on your message as follows:

On the W.A.T. board there are two rows of tools (where you get your emoticons etc.)

There's one in particular to use on row 2, 11 along called "Image". Click on that. It'll "pop out" and you'll see where to paste your collected URL. Paste, then click ok and you're done. You'll actually see your picture in the body before you submit your post.

Right, this alternative method should work.

Go to your pic @ tinypic. Click on it, it will "pop out". At the bottom left of your pic click "view raw image". You should now see just your pic isolated.

In your address bar you'll see that this has now generated a unique URL for your pic.

Now copy and paste this unique URL into a special place on your message as follows:

On the W.A.T. board there are two rows of tools (where you get your emoticons etc.)

There's one in particular to use on row 2, 11 along called "Image". Click on that. It'll "pop out" and you'll see where to paste your collected URL. Paste, then click ok and you're done. You'll actually see your picture in the body before you submit your post.

Brilliant, TJR!27zgs5z.jpg

Tried it with this pic of the tarts vs. the Jags, 1968.

Question: Who's the Thistle player standing with hands on hips in the background?

• Like 1

Definitely Firhill. The roof only extended about a quarter of the way down the terracing. It was basically there to protect the punters when they were placing their bets on the greyhounds; the bookies' dookits were along the back wall; I can remember as a nipper seeing the closed hatches. The roof got damaged in the 1968 hurricane, and got removed later that year, or in 1969.

i'd totally forgotten about the bookies. firhill operated as a 'flapper track' for a while if i remember correctly. many thanks for a great series of pics!

That's right. He was a gallus wee player.

Just for the record, left to right we see the excellent John Hansen, the reliable Bobby Gray, and the scorer of the best ever goal at Firhill, Dan McLindon.

andy roxburgh always complained that although he scored a hat-trick that day (did we beat dundee united 4-1?) all anyone could ever talk about was big dan's incredible dribble and finish

Good shout! I though it was John Divers too. Working on that, from the Official History book it must be 2-2 in season 66-67(scorers for us: Andy Roxburgh, Johnny Flanagan). And now I'm certain that the two other players are George Cumming (left) and Hugh Tinney. Tinney would later be sold to Bury for 30K, if I remember correctly.

Bizarre, though.... the OH book gives the crowd as 2,000 !

According to Partick Thistle History Archive the crowd was over 19000

http://partickthistl.../Season+1966-67

If you click on the game there is a press report on the match.

Edited by thisal

Thanks, but when I click on the link I see the same 2,000 crowd given. Also, I can't find the press report....

The link should take you to the fixtures for 66-67. Go down to Feb 18 Feb 18 DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC Scottish Cup 1-1 Cunningham 19,104

On the link click on Dunfermline underlined and in red print. and it should take you to the page with the press cutting and the original photo.

Edited by thisal

The link should take you to the fixtures for 66-67. Go down to Feb 18 Feb 18 DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC Scottish Cup 1-1 Cunningham 19,104

On the link click on Dunfermline underlined and in red print. and it should take you to the page with the press cutting and the original photo.

Got it, thanks!

My earlier post about it being against St Mirren is clearly wrong. It's the Scottish Cup tie, 1-1 vs. Dunfermline, and that explains the large crowd. Unfortunately, gubbed 5-1 in the replay. We do not have a good Cup record against the Pars.

The crowd for that Dunfermline game looks amazing with a packed Northy. Only a R2 game too. Interesting to see how the Cup was perceived back then. The Saturday before we played Dunfermline in the League in front of (just!) 7,000.

If the same League to Cup ratio still applied we'd have been looking at a 9,500 crowd vs. Hamilton this season. Instead, our 3,500 went backwards to 2,500. Is the romance dead?

Thanks to great guidance from The Jukebox Rebel, I now know how to paste images directly into messages!!

Here's one where it should be quite easy to recognise the players. Hibs vs. Thistle, 1969.

2a80mdf.jpg

Looks like Bobby Gray, George O'Neil and Donnie MacKinnon with Arthur Duncan out on the touchline. Is the Hibs player the future Thistle manager, Peter Cormack?

Looks like Bobby Gray, George O'Neil and Donnie MacKinnon with Arthur Duncan out on the touchline. Is the Hibs player the future Thistle manager, Peter Cormack?

I think so. One of the best players playing in Scotland around that time.

Btw for a poster of my age I'm ashamed to say I can't mind what Bobby Gray looked like.