Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

I think so. One of the best players playing in Scotland around that time.

Btw for a poster of my age I'm ashamed to say I can't mind what Bobby Gray looked like.

I was too young then to have much of an opinion on how good or otherwise these players were...though Bobby Gray probably wasn't great. His big claim to fame is that for a while he was in direct competition for the left back spot with his uncle, Robert Gray - surely unique in Scottish Football History.

Looks like Bobby Gray, George O'Neil and Donnie MacKinnon with Arthur Duncan out on the touchline. Is the Hibs player the future Thistle manager, Peter Cormack?

Yes, Arthur Duncan, who was shortly to move from Thistle to Hibs, where he became a legend, notching up 446 games for them over a 15-year period.

This one is labelled as season 60-61, but that's George Niven, and Twiggy Cunningham at No. 6, so it must be season season 61-62. March 10th, 3-1 for the Jags (George Smith 2, Neil Duffy). Crowd 10,000. The shed looks great!

Any of the other Thistle players identifiable?

11bu536.jpg

I see we still had the old square goalposts, when did we change to the round?

This one is labelled as season 60-61, but that's George Niven, and Twiggy Cunningham at No. 6, so it must be season season 61-62. March 10th, 3-1 for the Jags (George Smith 2, Neil Duffy). Crowd 10,000. The shed looks great!

Any of the other Thistle players identifiable?

11bu536.jpg

Maybe Ian Cowan out on the wing, Billy Hainey as the first guy in the picture and John Harvey underneath George Niven athough not 100%

Edited by Lindau

andy roxburgh always complained that although he scored a hat-trick that day (did we beat dundee united 4-1?) all anyone could ever talk about was big dan's incredible dribble and finish

I waited outside to get Andy to autograph my programme that day. He was a nice guy and spoke to me and my old man for about 5 minutes about the game.

Maybe Ian Cowan out on the wing, Billy Hainey as the first guy in the picture and John Harvey underneath George Niven athough not 100%

ian cowan was a cracking winger but a tad flakey. according to dressing room legend he once took a head knock and crumpled to a heap on the touchline beneath main stand. whe he tottered to his feet his scalp was a a gooey mixture of blood and sawdust at which point neil duffy was heard to exclaim: 'aw naw - his heid's burst...'

• Like 2

Hainey, Cunningham and Niven only played together at home against Hearts in 5 games ie,

Given the state of the goalmouth and the general look of how the crowd are dressed I think we can narrow it down to either January or March. Since I think the player ducking out of Niven's way is John Harvey (and he didn't play in the March 62 game) my money's on the 4 January 1964 match (2-1, Duffy and McParland).

If so, that would make it likely that it is Ian Cowan away out on the right and Davie Closs in the middle distance.

Hainey, Cunningham and Niven only played together at home against Hearts in 5 games ie,

Given the state of the goalmouth and the general look of how the crowd are dressed I think we can narrow it down to either January or March. Since I think the player ducking out of Niven's way is John Harvey (and he didn't play in the March 62 game) my money's on the 4 January 1964 match (2-1, Duffy and McParland).

If so, that would make it likely that it is Ian Cowan away out on the right and Davie Closs in the middle distance.

Great stuff!

I'm enjoying this lark.

From the same match. George Niven saves. Other Jags: John Harvey and...?

Another good view of the North Terracing. Crowd of 9,000, apparently. Looks more.

2ljt4wg.jpg

Edited by Jaggernaut

It's Murder!

Am I right in thinking that those warehouses (or is it a factory?) were on the other side of the nolly, and are long gone? Is that now the derelict ground where folk park their cars?

Who's the Jag tackling Murder?

2zs8qz7.jpg

Must be Ian McDonald!

It's Murder!

Am I right in thinking that those warehouses (or is it a factory?) were on the other side of the nolly, and are long gone? Is that now the derelict ground where folk park their cars?

2zs8qz7.jpg

Yes Flats built / getting built there now.

Am I right in thinking when I first went to Firhill in the 60's that that bit of Panmure Street from the YMCA flats to Firhill Street wasn't much more than a track.

It's Murder!

2zs8qz7.jpg

Ian McDonald with maybe George Clark in the background!

Ian McDonald with maybe George Clark in the background!

I think it might be Jim Melrose with Roy Aitken beside him. In a list of grievances against Referees/The Old Firm going back to the Seventies, I remember Aitken hacking down Melrose on three separate occasions within the first ten minutes. Jim threw down the ball after the third foul and was booked - Roy wasn't. Might have been the game in the photo - Roughie saved a penalty from Murdo.

Another oldie vs. Hearts at Firhill, featuring Donnie McKinnon and (I think) Joe Hogan. Good view of the old floodlights and the half-time scoreboard! Maybe Closs tackling the tart?

1zy9d0h.jpg

Deffo Joe Hogan and Donnie Mac. Impossible to tell who the guy is tackling the player. Those were the days. Packed grounds and the half time score board up the city end...lol

Edited by Lindau

Deffo Joe Hogan and Donnie Mac. Impossible to tell who the guy is tackling the player. Those were the days. Packed grounds and the half time score board up the city end...lol

does anyone else remember that a group of blind gentleman used to sit at the open window of what is now the general office with a volounteer commentator describing the action against the roars/cheers/etc., of the crowd?