Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

Deffo Joe Hogan and Donnie Mac. Impossible to tell who the guy is tackling the player. Those were the days. Packed grounds and the half time score board up the city end...lol

Hogan and McKinnon only played once together v Hearts at Firhill so must be a League Cup tie on 17 Aug 1963. Lots of thick grass suggests the start of the season. Dick Staite and Martin Ferguson played either side of McKinnon so the player could be one of them. (Drew 2-2, scorers Brown and Hainey.)

I recently bought some old magazines from the late 60's and early 70'. I may post some Jags stuff from there later but firstly here is a team photo from Feb. 71 from issue 32 of Football Scot. Interesting to note that the 71 Cup Final is only 8 months away and not included in the photo is Jackie Campbell and Alex Forsyth.

http://28aug6p.jpg

I recently bought some old magazines from the late 60's and early 70'. I may post some Jags stuff from there later but firstly here is a team photo from Feb. 71 from issue 32 of Football Scot. Interesting to note that the 71 Cup Final is only 8 months away and not included in the photo is Jackie Campbell and Alex Forsyth.

http://28aug6p.jpg

Jackie Campbell was injured that season when we were promoted from the Second Division, John Hansen and Alex Forsyth were young midfield players who hardly played for the first team and Ronnie Glavin was a striker who got a few games when Jimmy Bone was off form. One of the extraordinary things about the extraordinary achievement of winning the League Cup was the inexperience of the side - Jackie Campbell at 24 was regarded as one of the old heads in the squad but he had only played about 15 games at Centre Half before the Final...John Hansen and Alex Forsyth had played less than that as full backs and Ronnie Glavin likewise as a midfielder.

Some great photos of Firhill back in the day on this thread.

• Members

I didn't start going to see Thistle till the following season, but interested to note that those strips don't have the red Thistle on the shirt, the yellow stripes round the top of the socks or the black stripe down the side of the shorts! Were these introduced for season 71-72?

I didn't start going to see Thistle till the following season, but interested to note that those strips don't have the red Thistle on the shirt, the yellow stripes round the top of the socks or the black stripe down the side of the shorts! Were these introduced for season 71-72?

Is it possible the badge was introduced for the final or with the final in mind?

With you there, Will, maybe except for the black stripe down the side of the red shorts. To my shame, I don't remember that despite not missing many games that season and the following one.

Jackie Campbell was injured that season when we were promoted from the Second Division, John Hansen and Alex Forsyth were young midfield players who hardly played for the first team and Ronnie Glavin was a striker who got a few games when Jimmy Bone was off form. One of the extraordinary things about the extraordinary achievement of winning the League Cup was the inexperience of the side - Jackie Campbell at 24 was regarded as one of the old heads in the squad but he had only played about 15 games at Centre Half before the Final...John Hansen and Alex Forsyth had played less than that as full backs and Ronnie Glavin likewise as a midfielder.

Some great photos of Firhill back in the day on this thread.

That picture does things for me. That's my Thistle. Makes me feel awe-struck.

Twiggy Cunningham, Jimmy Bone, and ..... ?

This is THE BEST Thistle strip ever!

n4e98k.jpg

This is season 68-69, and as it's at Porkeid the Thistle no. 3 is either Dan McLindon (15 March 1969, 1-0 defeat), or Russell Brown (17 August in League Cup, 4-0 defeat). Since it doesn't look like big Dan, and the pitch looks in good condition, I'm going for the League Cup match. Incidentally, Brown played in 4 of the League Cup qualifiers, and then disappeared. I don't remember him at all.

Also incidentally, we played Celtic six times that season: twice in the League Cup (lost 4-0, 6-1), twice in the League (lost 1-0, 4-0), and twice in the Scottish Cup (3-3, lost 8-1). Add up the goals: 5 for, 26 against. Groan....

Edited by Jaggernaut

Twiggy Cunningham, Jimmy Bone, and ..... ?

This is THE BEST Thistle strip ever!

n4e98k.jpg

Usual process of elimination. That's Bobby Murdoch and George Connolly so can only be v Celtic at Celtic Park 17 Aug 1968. Number 3 is Russell Brown (played 8 times). Don't remember him. Cunningham came on as a sub. Celtic 4 (Wallace 4) - Thistle)

Usual process of elimination. That's Bobby Murdoch and George Connolly so can only be v Celtic at Celtic Park 17 Aug 1968. Number 3 is Russell Brown (played 8 times). Don't remember him. Cunningham came on as a sub. Celtic 4 (Wallace 4) - Thistle)

Great, thanks. I recognised Murdoch (great player, it must be said), but not Connolly (useful player too).

Great, thanks. I recognised Murdoch (great player, it must be said), but not Connolly (useful player too).

Met George Connelly on a few occasions. I always thought he was potentially right up there at the top. Too many personal demons so not even Jock Stein could get the best out of him. I know it's all too common to hear folk going over the top describing old firm players but I'd definitely make an exception with Connelly.

Given his location it wouldn't surprise me if we had him watched early on and it's not unlikely we tried to sign him. Scot Symon didn't exactly man manage Jim Baxter very effectively. So George, who made Baxter appear a model pro in comparison, would've been impossible.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I don't think I ever saw Russell Brown play but I'm sure he was regarded as a prospect as a young left back until he picked up a bad injury which ended his career. Sandy Frame was a big striker who suffered the same fate a few years later.

I don't think I ever saw Russell Brown play but I'm sure he was regarded as a prospect as a young left back until he picked up a bad injury which ended his career. Sandy Frame was a big striker who suffered the same fate a few years later.

I remember the general optimism surrounding Sandy Frame. It's a shame his career was cut short. He remained involved in coaching Thistle youth teams (on the left of the photo), but no idea what he eventually went on to do.

nqobrt.jpg

A fortnight later and Bobby Gray gets a mention too. http://5b5kk8.jpg

Two great clippings! That famous Sandy Brown own goal has me grinning every time I see it, and I've watched it on countless occasions.

Does anybody know what Bobby Gray went on to do after leaving Firhill?

Edited by Jaggernaut