Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

1 hour ago, Jimmy McD said:

The framework  top left was the half time score board..  In the matchday programme it gave you the games being played elsewhere  with a letter beside each game ...So at halftime you married up the match letter with the score board...simples       

Yeah, I loved that old system. 

Like I loved looking into the tv sets in the shop windows near Queen's Cross to get all the scores after our match had finished. What shop? Radio Rentals, or something like that?

4 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Yeah, I loved that old system. 

Like I loved looking into the tv sets in the shop windows near Queen's Cross to get all the scores after our match had finished. What shop? Radio Rentals, or something like that?

Also buy the pink Times and green Citizen after a game.

On 11/23/2020 at 1:18 PM, Jimmy McD said:

think this one might have been posted some time back. That huge wall was already gone and the terracing had been extended when I first started going to Firhill. But is there anybody on here who still remembers when the city end was like that?

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1606032530644.jpg

When I started my spot was right at the front just about above the letter E on the wall. Having said that I remember being in the stand at Thistle v a team from south of the river when the crowd was so big that some people were on the grass in front of the wall. That game is etched in my brain - 3 January 1959 - George Smith 2 h*ns 0!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, QXBoy said:

When I started my spot was right at the front just about above the letter E on the wall. Having said that I remember being in the stand at Thistle v a team from south of the river when the crowd was so big that some people were on the grass in front of the wall. That game is etched in my brain - 3 January 1959 - George Smith 2 h*ns 0!

Wasn’t the HT scoreboard moved to the middle and  rear  of the city end Before being removed? Or is that just my memory playing tricks? 

Here's the original black-and-white version of that colourized pic showing the old city terracing, along with an early picture (1909) of  what looks remarkably like today's bing. So my question is, was that original terracing already around the size it was most recently (when it got demolished a few years back), reduced in size and elevated so they could build the high wall for the greyhound racing, only to be levelled and extended again when the dugs were no longer a source of income?

With boxing, the greyhounds, rugby, some non-Jags matches and more formal ground-sharing arrangements, as well as making available to visiting teams for training etc., it can't really be denied that throughout its history the club has tried to earn some extra cash from the facilities (I mean the pitch, rather than conferences, weddings etc.).

imageproxy.jpg

GW844H762.jpg

Edited by Jaggernaut

On 10/26/2020 at 7:09 PM, East Kent Jag II said:

This looks to be Shawfield, and a complete  guess at the players and year.  I think around 1953.  Jags no 6 is Andy Kerr.  The other Jagsman in the foreground is Bobby Howitt.   Don't know who the Thistle player in the background is.

Could the Clyde player who (I'd imagine) is challenging for the ball be Tommy Ring?

The only thing I feel I may have got right is the ground being Shawfield, but I'm sure you'll let me know!

it broke my young heart when andy kerr left for manchester city. many, many years later when i interviewed bert trautmann, i mentioned 'handy andy' (as he was known because he could play in attack or defence.)

"And it broke my heart playing behind him..." sighed bert

• Like 1

On 11/22/2020 at 10:21 PM, Jaggernaut said:

I think this one might have been posted some time back. That huge wall was already gone and the terracing had been extended when I first started going to Firhill. But is there anybody on here who still remembers when the city end was like that?

thumbnail_FB_IMG_1606032530644.jpg

Is that the framework of the old tote board for the greyhounds, seen in this photo....

241229E4-010D-4116-A5C6-76F4FE5839EF.jpeg

6 hours ago, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Bottom photo looks like John Harvey? Spot the Ball :)

Is that Firhill? If so, it looks like either the canal end of the north terracing where it joined the shed-side terracing, or the same at the city end. But I have no recollection of that brick structure in the middle of the terracing. It must have been already gone by the early 60s.

ETA: Great picture. It looks like that series of ET portraits of players like McParland, Duncan, Coulston etc. that were taken with the north terracing in the background., but this one is clearly different.

Edited by Jaggernaut

• 1 month later...