Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 12:05 PM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

Some talent in that photo. Incidentally was talking with George Smith's son in law a couple weeks back and I hear George who's in his mid eighties is in fine fettle.

After teaching he worked on the old BBC Sportscene as a match editor, for some reason I heard he doesn't care much for Thistle.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I also thought Charnley, but I don't think I'd recognize Flood.

The friend who sent me the pic wrote that it was vs. Raith Rovers, 1990.

Since Firhill features prominently, I'll mention that I watched a blogger's video of the game against Morton, and it started with some shots of the facade of the main stand, which frankly looks almost derelict, with weeds growing out of it, cracked wooden window frames that have partly rotted away, cracked and peeling harling and paintwork....

I wonder, is the plan just to let it slowly decay and fall into ruin?

19 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

I also thought Charnley, but I don't think I'd recognize Flood.

The friend who sent me the pic wrote that it was vs. Raith Rovers, 1990.

Since Firhill features prominently, I'll mention that I watched a blogger's video of the game against Morton, and it started with some shots of the facade of the main stand, which frankly looks almost derelict, with weeds growing out of it, cracked wooden window frames that have partly rotted away, cracked and peeling harling and paintwork....

I wonder, is the plan just to let it slowly decay and fall into ruin?

Yes quite agree. It's actually a bloody disgrace and could easily be made to look a whole sight better with minimal effort. That is the part of the ground featured in any TV news or press articles so surely for the sake of the clubs image you would make an attempt to make the place look presentalbe at least!

Firhill Mess.jpg

• 1 month later...

Got to admit that I didn't recognize either of these two new signings. I made a stab at one of them (not literally!), but got it wrong. I lived abroad at the time (as now) and it was pre-internet, so that's my excuse.

And how young does The Great Lambini look here?!

I now have the players" identities, in case nobody else does.

thumbnail_IMG_0112.jpg

5 minutes ago, joe the driver said:

Would I be right in thinking we signed 2 players from St Midden in the late 80s.

One was Billy Abercrombie, on the left (sent off in his first game, I think). Can't remember the other ones name

Correct for BA Joe!

I don't know where he came from, but my source tells me that the other player's initials are BG......

1 hour ago, Jaggernaut said:

Got to admit that I didn't recognize either of these two new signings. I made a stab at one of them (not literally!), but got it wrong. I lived abroad at the time (as now) and it was pre-internet, so that's my excuse.

And how young does The Great Lambini look here?!

I now have the players" identities, in case nobody else does.

thumbnail_IMG_0112.jpg

It’s Brian Gallacher

• 2 weeks later...

27/2/1965  Motherwell 0-2 Partick Thistle.   It was Harry Davis' only appearance for Thistle at Fir Park.

Motherwell...Wyllie, Thomson, R McCallum, Delaney, Martis, W McCallum, Coakley, Murray, McBride, Hunter, Lindsay.

Thistle...Gray, Campbell, Muir, Davis, Harvey, Cunningham, Hogan, HAINEY, McLindon, EWING, McParland.

A defensive mix-up led to a hand ball and Ewing scored with the pen (14).  Hainey got an easy 2nd (35) following a defensive error. Thistle were well on top by h-t with the Motherwell defence all over the place.  They improved in the 2nd half but constantly fell into Thistle's off-side trap.  A comfortable win.