Who Are The Jags Players In This Photo?

Jaggernaut

20 hours ago, JeanieD said:

Tommy Rae and Jimmy Bone (far right)……other Jag? Johnston? Who played a few games around 1967-70 ish.

Great strip - and Dundee United’s is possibly their best too

The other Jag might be Roxburgh on a second view

Great stuff, Jeanie D. You're definitely right for Rae and Bone. Johnston, I don't know, and as the similarity to Tommy Gibb is slight at best, I'll go with your stab.

In my opinion, Tommy Rae is under-appreciated by many Jags folk. With well over 200 appearances, more than 70 goals, and a substantial contribution to our 70-71 2nd Division triumph and the famous League Cup campaign of 71-72 (scored twice against Raith Rovers in an early game), he wasn't flamboyant or "sizzling hot'" but a highly competent, hard-working forward who would be an asset for any team.

20 hours ago, JeanieD said:

Tommy Rae and Jimmy Bone (far right)……other Jag? Johnston? Who played a few games around 1967-70 ish.

Great strip - and Dundee United’s is possibly their best too

The other Jag might be Roxburgh on a second view

Just saw the match report posted by stuthejag. That unidentified player must be "Holt".

10 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

In my opinion, Tommy Rae is under-appreciated by many Jags folk

Totally agree. He was one of my favourite players of that era and I was not a happy bunny when he was sold to Aberdeen but very very pleased when he came back.

I only saw him in his second spell & thought he was rubbish, but I think I read he suffered a bad injury. Reading reports it seems he was good in his first spell. It didn’t help that he seemed to be used as a replacement for McQuade or Lawrie. 

21 minutes ago, jaggy said:

I only saw him in his second spell & thought he was rubbish, but I think I read he suffered a bad injury. Reading reports it seems he was good in his first spell. It didn’t help that he seemed to be used as a replacement for McQuade or Lawrie. 

That's how I kinda remember that 2nd spell tho' I'd give him more latitude. Also I think it was still only one sub back then. So Tommy as I mind would often be in for an injured player of real quality or replacing one of them as a sub.

I'd class TR then (2nd spell) as what was referred to as a "utility player". That phrase is now looked upon rather disparagingly, a sort of jack of all trades meaning. But in those days these guys were indispensable, so Tommy was possibly a more valuable member of the team than often credited.

I reckon with the emergence of Lawrie and McQuade that Rae's winger role was somewhat compromised and with the Coulston/Bone partnership he didn't really get a look in as regards becoming a more centrally played striker - indeed when either of them was injured Ronnie Glavin tended to step forward and Charlie Smith filled in for him in midfield. Bone's departure and his style of play was probably more suited to Ronnie replacing him as Rae and Coulston might have been a bit too similar in style to form any potentially potent strike force. 

Hindsight tends to be 20:20 but some of the "fringe players" back then were really unlucky given the quality of the first choice eleven. 

It is interesting to note that an effectively 2nd XI played, and won 5-0, in the game against Raith in the group stages of the League Cup - the first team was being saved to win 3-2 on the following Saturday.

So perhaps not a bad squad back in the day and perhaps unlucky for some players at the time?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, JeanieD said:

I reckon with the emergence of Lawrie and McQuade that Rae's winger role was somewhat compromised and with the Coulston/Bone partnership he didn't really get a look in as regards becoming a more centrally played striker - indeed when either of them was injured Ronnie Glavin tended to step forward and Charlie Smith filled in for him in midfield. Bone's departure and his style of play was probably more suited to Ronnie replacing him as Rae and Coulston might have been a bit too similar in style to form any potentially potent strike force. 

Hindsight tends to be 20:20 but some of the "fringe players" back then were really unlucky given the quality of the first choice eleven. 

It is interesting to note that an effectively 2nd XI played, and won 5-0, in the game against Raith in the group stages of the League Cup - the first team was being saved to win 3-2 on the following Saturday.

So perhaps not a bad squad back in the day and perhaps unlucky for some players at the time?

That all sounds spot on. I'd just add that Johnny Gibson also became the preferred wing option when either Lawrie or McQuade was injured. And a great option too!

Rae was definitely less sharp when he returned to us after his spell at Aberdeen. But his overall goals:games ratio for us is certainly impressive.

13 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

That all sounds spot on. I'd just add that Johnny Gibson also became the preferred wing option when either Lawrie or McQuade was injured. And a great option too!

Rae was definitely less sharp when he returned to us after his spell at Aberdeen. But his overall goals:games ratio for us is certainly impressive.

Shameful of me to have forgotten John Gibson! A true talent………

On 3/4/2023 at 2:14 PM, JeanieD said:

Shameful of me to have forgotten John Gibson! A true talent………

Wee Johnny was utterly mesmerising in the opening game of the 1971-72 season against rangers at a packed and sun-dappled firhill.

Scored two (frank coulson nabbed t'other) in a fabulous 3-2 victory which suggested our newly promoted heroes might be capable of of something wonderful...

2 hours ago, robphil said:

Wee Johnny was utterly mesmerising in the opening game of the 1971-72 season against rangers at a packed and sun-dappled firhill.

Scored two (frank coulson nabbed t'other) in a fabulous 3-2 victory which suggested our newly promoted heroes might be capable of of something wonderful...

It was a truly terrific performance from the wee man, and in the sunshine it was a great game overall. I've always thought it was a shame that there's no video of that game and of the Scottish Cup semi-final draw against the same mob a few years later.

Edited by Jaggernaut

35 minutes ago, Jaggernaut said:

It was a truly terrific performance from the wee man, and in the sunshine it was a great game overall. I've always thought it was a shame that there's no video of that game and of the Scottish Cup semi-final draw against the same mob a few years later.

if there was a video available then i reckon i would watch it more frequently than The Producers. and that was a rangers' team that went on to defeat sporting lisbon, torino and bayern munich among others on their way to winning the european cup-winners' cup later in the season.

the official attendance was 30,000 - i seem to recall there was at least that number crammed into the old, rickety press box up in the rafters  in the excellent main (now colin west) stand....

3 hours ago, JAGSMAN1968 said:

Was he not subbed at half time after being kicked black and blue by Willie Mathieson?

it was a brilliant individual performance from Johnnie Gibson...we lost an early goal but the wee man turned it round with two goals and an assist...he failed to make it out for the second half after being the victim of brutal hacking by John "the Greatest Living Ranger" Greig...I don't think Mathieson could get close enough to Johnnie to kick him.

That performance set up the team for the phenomenal achievements over the next 3 months. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

At the maximum I could name a handful of this crew.....

20230317_190845-1.jpg

John Mitchell, Hugh Leyden, Archie McLean, Colin McAdam, John Brough, Tommy Elliot, Ian Spittal

Jackie Husband, Eddie Gallagher, Budgie McGhie, Willie Cairns, Kenny Watson, John Workman, Alan Dinnie, Alan Pirie, Billy Simpson

Billy McLaren, Alan Logan, Ian McDonald, Bobby Law, Billy Lamont, Willie McGuire, Paddy Kelly, Jim McGinlay, Billy Simpson