Stats Watch

The Jukebox Rebel

:detective: 02.05.2015 Dools Watch Special Report

DOOOL-AAAN

wgyup.jpg

• Milestone man strikes again on his 200th League appearance. Roy Race eat your heart out! (picture c/o Partick Thistle Facebook)

Kris nets his 75th competitive goal for the Jags and becomes the 21st Thistle player to reach this milestone. In doing so, the number nine takes his competitive-games goals tally into double-figures for the 5th consecutive season. He's only the third Jag in history to accomplish this, and only Jimmy Walker has went beyond this point, as shown below.

Most consecutive seasons with competitive goals totals in double figures:

7 consecutive seasons

Season 073 1947-48 - 13 goals - Jimmy Walker

Season 074 1948-49 - 24 goals - Jimmy Walker

Season 075 1949-50 - 27 goals - Jimmy Walker

Season 076 1950-51 - 13 goals - Jimmy Walker

Season 077 1951-52 - 14 goals - Jimmy Walker

Season 078 1952-53 - 18 goals - Jimmy Walker

Season 079 1953-54 - 11 goals - Jimmy Walker

5 consecutive seasons

Season 054 1928-29 - 21 goals - John Torbet

Season 055 1929-30 - 26 goals - John Torbet

Season 056 1930-31 - 11 goals - John Torbet

Season 057 1931-32 - 14 goals - John Torbet

Season 058 1932-33 - 21 goals - John Torbet

Season 136 2010-11 - 18 goals - Kris Doolan

Season 137 2011-12 - 13 goals - Kris Doolan

Season 138 2012-13 - 15 goals - Kris Doolan

Season 139 2013-14 - 11 goals - Kris Doolan

Season 140 2014-15 - 10 goals - Kris Doolan

What an excellent achievement! It's all the more remarkable when you consider that he's perhaps featured in more competitive game substitutions (160) than any other player in Thistle's history, significantly limiting his goalscoring opportunities. Kris has an average competitive game time of just 59 minutes per appearance since he made his debut in 2009. This season, his competitive game time is down to an average of just 48 minutes per appearance.

Next target: To finish this season as Thistle's top League scorer, thereby achieving it for the 4th time, thereby joining the elite group of 4 players (Willie Paul, Sam Kennedy, Willie Sharp & Dougie Somner) who have previously done so. Willie Sharp, Thistle's all-time highest goalscorer, stands alone as having achieved this feat on 5 occasions.

Here's how the League scorers table looks with 3 to play:

9 - Kris Doolan

5 - Ryan Stevenson

4 - Stephen O'Donnell

3 - Gary Fraser

3 - Lyle Taylor

3 - Steven Lawless

3 - Stuart Bannigan

2 - Christie Elliott

2 - Conrad Balatoni

2 - Freddy Frans

2 - James Craigen

2 - Kallum Higginbotham

2 - OG

1 - Abdul Osman

1 - Dan Seaborne

1 - Jordan McMillan

1 - Nathan Eccleston

Note how Dools wasted no time in restoring his 4 goal cushion at the top during yesterday's match. He knows. ;)

• Like 1

Found this stat here: http://stv.tv/sport/football/319298-celtics-premiership-win-by-numbers-a-statistical-look-at-the-champions/

Thistle goals conceded in last 5 mins: 8

Thistle goals scored in last 5 mins: 9

Seems that numerically at least, we are ahead on late goals (expect ours conceded were more costly in terms of points "lost"). In fact, we are 6th best in both categories.

Found this stat here: http://stv.tv/sport/football/319298-celtics-premiership-win-by-numbers-a-statistical-look-at-the-champions/ Thistle goals conceded in last 5 mins: 8 Thistle goals scored in last 5 mins: 9 Seems that numerically at least, we are ahead on late goals (expect ours conceded were more costly in terms of points "lost"). In fact, we are 6th best in both categories.

4th top in terms of possession too. It almost seems like we're Top 6 in everything except the actual table. This is something which only Thistle can do. We've even got a better League record than the team that's currently 6th and we're still two places below them. :lol:

WALKING IN A CHICO WONDERLAND

dmflkw.jpg

Yesterday, the boys did it for Chico Reilly, the dressing room legend. #inspirational (picture c/o Partick Thistle Facebook)

:detective: 02.05.2015 Partick Thistle 3 St Mirren 0 (SPFL Premiership - game 35)

• Thistle defeat St Mirren in the League at Firhill for only the second time in the last 34 years. #embarrassing
  • Despite our poor home record against them in recent times, the Jags still hold the upper hand against the Buddies, with 88 competitive wins trumping their 82. With this defeat, St Mirren actually join Kilmarnock as our "most conquered" side in top-flight history, with both of these club's now having been defeated by the Jags on 65 premier league occasions.
  • Archie's Jags could unequivocally set a post-reconstruction club-record for the greatest gathering of top-flight points. When applying 3 points per win across all-seasons, Thistle's post-reconstruction best is currently 1.31 points-per-game, which was set in 1977-78 and, in a strange statistical quirk which merely serves to underline the incredible consistency of Bertie Auld's Jags, was equalled in each of the two seasons thereafter. Despite Bertie's impressive tallies, the post-reconstruction record is still "up for grabs", with 50 points (1.32 ppg) being the required total if Archie is to outdo the past-master.
  • Archie's Jags win back-to-back-to-back games in the top-flight for the first time since Lambie's men did the same back in April 1995: 04.04.1995 Heart of Midlothian [h] W3-1; 08.04.1995 Motherwell [a] W2-1; 15.04.1995 Heart of Midlothian [a] W1-0
  • Taking a leaf out of the Derek McInnes book of familiar starting line ups, 9 of Archie's Jags have started the last 7 games in-a-row (W5 D1 L1). The steady Eddie's are: Scott Fox, Stephen O'Donnell, Callum Booth, Conrad Balatoni, Freddy Frans, Abdul Osman, Stuart Bannigan, Steven Lawless and Ryan Stevenson. #backbone
  • Archie has used his full compliment of substitutes only twice in the last 7 League games. This contrasts greatly with the fact that the maximum three were utilised 22 times in the first 26 League games.
  • Lyle Taylor maintains his amazing record of never having failed to appear in a Thistle match over the course of his 2 spells. That's 33 games not out.
  • Kallum continues with his late attempt to pip Steven as the top goal maker for the season. By my reckoning, the competitive-game assists leaderboard now reads: Steven Lawless (8), Stephen O'Donnell (6) and Kallum Higginbotham (5).
  • In the great modern-day farce that is the Scottish top-flight, Partick Thistle, in 8th, have a better League record than Dundee, in 6th. #ridiculous
  • Thistle register a 3+ goal victory margin for the 5th time in this season's League. Davie Meiklejohn's Jags were the last group to achieve such a thing in the top-flight, matching this figure away back in season 1956-57. The club-record for the category was set at 10 under the stewardship of George Easton away back in 1926-27, and matched by Donald Turner's troops in season 1946-47.
  • Thistle win to nil for the 9th time in the League this season. Amazing to think that we only did that once in 38 games last term (the 2-0 win at Tynecastle). You have to rewind back to season 1962-63 to find the last time this total was bettered in the top-flight, when 10 such victories were achieved. The category record sits at 12, achieved two seasons in-a-row in both 1915-16 and 1916-17.
  • Four consecutive top-flight home wins with a clean-sheet represents the 2nd best run of all-time for the category. It's the best run since the club-record five which was set between November and January in season 1961-62.
  • Thistle keep a clean-sheet for the 11th time in the League this season. In the top-flight, it's our best shut-outs to games ratio since 1973-74 when 11 clean-sheets were returned in 34 games.
  • Currently, Thistle have conceded just 1.11 goals per game in this season's League campaign. At the moment, that ratio is standing as the 5th all-time best performance in 82 top-flight seasons. The club-record was 0.93 set in 1920-21. Whilst that record cannot be beaten, limiting the concessions to just 1 more goal would ensure the club's 2nd best top-flight defensive record of all-time.

ongoing sequences...

• 4 consecutive competitive home wins.
  • 4 competitive games since a home defeat.
  • 4 consecutive competitive clean-sheets at home.
  • 9 competitive games since a home draw.
  • 13 competitive games without defeat when we score the opening goal.
  • 26 consecutive competitive appearances for Stephen O'Donnell, 8th Nov 2014 to date. (Longest run since: Kallum Higginbotham - 33 games (Sat-10-Aug-2013 to Wed-26-Mar-2014). Club record: Johnny Jackson - 313 games, 28th Aug 1926 to 25th Mar 1933.)
  • 41 competitive games since back to back draws, 7th May 2014 to date. (Longest run since: 59 games, 18th Aug 2009 to 11th Dec 2010. Club record: 201 games, 11th Feb 1957 to 1st Apr 1961.)

Edited by The Jukebox Rebel
  • Like 1

TJR I've reached my allocation of likes. Many thanks for your responses. Brilliant stuff.

Shows what great season it's been. Yet at times it was a frustrating season and it's taken a lot of courage for the team to come through the way they have.

Some fantastic stats here. Many thanks to TJR.

Can I lob another challenge in your direction? The most games in a row in the top flight without dropping a place to a team below us.

We seemed to be 9th for ages this season and then overhauled Kilmarnock to reach 8th. Hopefully we can extend that run for 3 more games as it would be a pity to allow Ross County or Kilmarnock in from 6 points below us and the only alternative scenario I can see is for us to forge ahead of Hamilton and then drop below them on the last day.

My parameters are designed to exclude runs in last place which are nothing to be proud of and also times when we have topped a lower league for a lengthy period.

Stats back up my view that this is the best team I've seen in 30 years of watching Thistle. Delighted that they've achieved this. When this team came together a few years ago we all suspected they could achieve something, and it's great that they have. Amazing thing is that these stats have been achieved despite, I think, a high level of misfortune, and some poor game management. We could easily have had at least ten points more.

Can I lob another challenge in your direction? The most games in a row in the top flight without dropping a place to a team below us.

We seemed to be 9th for ages this season and then overhauled Kilmarnock to reach 8th. Hopefully we can extend that run for 3 more games as it would be a pity to allow Ross County or Kilmarnock in from 6 points below us and the only alternative scenario I can see is for us to forge ahead of Hamilton and then drop below them on the last day.

My parameters are designed to exclude runs in last place which are nothing to be proud of and also times when we have topped a lower league for a lengthy period.

Nice one ptd, I had put that long streak in 9th behind us stats wise, but you're right it's still alive. I'll place it from hereon in the wee post-match "ongoing stats" bit.

As you can see, with your stated parameters we look certain to be on a record run here, barring some sort of sensational goal difference collapse.

Taking the curent run to 24 is a virtual certainty, to 25 strongly probable.

The following results stand across all-Leagues by the way, not just the top-flight, even though they were all achieved at that level.

League game runs without going backwards in the table (runs at the top/bottom of table excluded)

23 - Sat-05-Dec-1914 to Sat-17-Apr-1915 (14th to 6th in the top-flight)

23 - Sat-06-Nov-1920 to Fri-08-Apr-1921 (7th to 3rd in the top-flight)

22 - Wed-03-Dec-2014 to date (9th to 8th in the top-flight)

19 - Mon-26-Sep-1921 to Sat-14-Jan-1922 (5th to 3rd in the top-flight)

I also opened the query up to all seasons, with no parameters:

League game runs without going backwards in the table

32 - Sat-27-Sep-2003 to Sat-15-May-2004 (12th to 12th in the top-flight) *

29 - Sat-07-Oct-2000 to Sat-04-Aug-2001 (4th in the 3rd tier to 3rd in the 2nd tier) *

23 - Sat-24-Nov-2001 to Sat-10-Aug-2002 (2nd in the 2nd tier to 7th in the top-flight) *

20 - Sat-12-Jan-2013 to Fri-02-Aug-2013 (3rd in the 2nd tier to 1st in the top-flight) *

* included long spells at the top/bottom of the League

• Like 1

Nice one ptd, I had put that long streak in 9th behind us stats wise, but you're right it's still alive. I'll place it from hereon in the wee post-match "ongoing stats" bit.

As you can see, with your stated parameters we look certain to be on a record run here, barring some sort of sensational goal difference collapse.

Taking the curent run to 24 is a virtual certainty, to 25 strongly probable.

The following results stand across all-Leagues by the way, not just the top-flight, even though they were all achieved at that level.

League game runs without going backwards in the table (runs at the top/bottom of table excluded)

I also opened the query up to all seasons, with no parameters:

League game runs without going backwards in the table

32 - Sat-27-Sep-2003 to Sat-15-May-2004 (12th to 12th in the top-flight) *

29 - Sat-07-Oct-2000 to Sat-04-Aug-2001 (4th in the 3rd tier to 3rd in the 2nd tier) *

23 - Sat-24-Nov-2001 to Sat-10-Aug-2002 (2nd in the 2nd tier to 7th in the top-flight) *

20 - Sat-12-Jan-2013 to Fri-02-Aug-2013 (3rd in the 2nd tier to 1st in the top-flight) *

* included long spells at the top/bottom of the League

Many thanks TJR. As you say,the record in terms of my parameters seems there for the taking, and thereafter the only further relevant target is to beat your 29 game example from the 3rd and 2nd tiers, as the 32 game bump along the bottom cannot be regarded as an achievement (unless avoiding mid-season demotion is somehow creditworthy!?).

How about 15 of the last 18 goals scored by Thistle at Firhill have been at the city end...................... Yes, it's been a really good decision for me and my camera to move to the North stand this season :wall:

since northy became the shed, singing section, call it what you will, i have always thought we should shoot towards it in second half, a feat we rarely do. perhaps a tactical tweak archie could look at for next season?

if you think about it, for opposition, unless they are bringing over a thousand, their fans are always housed in the north end of main stand, which means in second halfs they are shooting towards their fans in effect.

since northy became the shed, singing section, call it what you will, i have always thought we should shoot towards it in second half, a feat we rarely do. perhaps a tactical tweak archie could look at for next season?

I see where you're coming from, but no thanks. The city end of the JH generates the greatest noise when we're attacking that end with our tails up

I see where you're coming from, but no thanks. The city end of the JH generates the greatest noise when we're attacking that end with our tails up

How on earth have you reached that conclusion?

Excellent stats btw, TJR.

• Members

A bit of crossed lines here perhaps. I think and he'll correct me if I'm wrong, Jaggy means that when Thistle are attacking the City end, there is more noise atmosphere at that end than when we're shooting the other way. I don't think he means that end creates the best noise and atmosphere in the ground which how it may be coming across?

• Like 1

^ As Camallain points out, the City End has been the place to be lately, just looking at it there, they've had 13 out of the last 14 goals, currently on 6-in-a-row...

a quite interesting fact http://sport.stv.tv/...-range-threat/? We rely on goals from outside the box (none from dead balls) more than any other team in the division.

"Long Shot (Bus Me Bet)" by The Pioneers

:excl: Contrived dodgy DJ link alert

Top tunage about a useless horse called Longshot... "him gallop, but him couldn't bust de tape". Stevie Lawless had a monkey on it apparently.

Anyway, I digress...

Seems we're making up for our lack of penalties by banging in beauties! Our grand total is second only to Celtic, quite impressive.

For some future reason, still not immediately clear even to myself, the great Jaggy database has started to record detailed goals data, I concur with STVs 11. Our longhsot hotshots were in order:

16.08.2014 Dundee [a] D1-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 2)

Gary Fraser (1-0, 4 mins) - Right foot shot from 25 yards

23.08.2014 Hamilton Academical [h] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 3)

Kallum Higginbotham (1-0, 84 mins) - Right foot half-volley from 21 yards

13.09.2014 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [h] W3-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 5)

Kallum Higginbotham (3-1, 72 mins) - Right foot shot from 20 yards

04.10.2014 Motherwell [h] W3-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 8)

Stephen O'Donnell (3-1, 82 mins) - Right foot placed shot from 21 yards

13.12.2014 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [a] W4-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 16)

Ryan Stevenson (2-0, 40 mins) - Right foot placed shot from 19 yards

24.01.2015 Kilmarnock [a] D2-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 22)

Ryan Stevenson (1-0, 2 mins) - Left foot shot from 21 yards

14.03.2015 St Johnstone [h] W3-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 29)

Stuart Bannigan (3-0, 65 mins) - Left foot shot from 22 yards

21.03.2015 Inverness Caledonian Thistle [h] W1-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 30)

Steven Lawless (1-0, 84 mins) - Left foot shot from 18 yards

25.04.2015 Ross County [a] W2-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 34)

Freddy Frans (1-1, 25 mins) - Right foot shot from 30 yards

25.04.2015 Ross County [a] W2-1 (SPFL Premiership - game 34)

Stephen O'Donnell (2-1, 54 mins) - Right foot half-volley from 20 yards

02.05.2015 St Mirren [h] W3-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 35)

Steven Lawless (3-0, 90+1 mins) - Left foot shot from 22 yards

A bit of crossed lines here perhaps. I think and he'll correct me if I'm wrong, Jaggy means that when Thistle are attacking the City end, there is more noise atmosphere at that end than when we're shooting the other way. I don't think he means that end creates the best noise and atmosphere in the ground which how it may be coming across?

Cheers Will, probably explained better than me. I'm a fan of The Shed in the North Stand, but at times in the 2nd half when we're kicking that way I feel the noise is better at the City End just due to numbers and that fact that it's closer to the opposition goal. I suggested 4 or 5 years ago on a few occasions we should remove the away support from the North Stand & use it ourselves as I felt it gave the away team an advantage, but I would love if we built something on the Bing and have The Shed housed there as I think it would have a big effect on the atmosphere

:detective: Now now tj, what's all this. My trick question alarm is ringing here.

We're not arithmetically guaranteed 9th, although we all know it's a virtual certainty.

Sticking strictly to the exact wording of your question, the last time we finished above Killie in the top-flight was 1980-81. :o

Which is a bit weird considering they are our 65-times-beaten top-flight bitches. :evil:

• Like 1