Man Of The Match

Watson Towers

First, seems a bit off to actually pick one after Wed. night, as everybody was splendid.

Second, if one is to be picked, it would of course be the 4-goal super-star...

Or is it? I kinda thought last night that Lawless actually pipped Dools for the accolade, and having just watched the Alba highlights I think so even more strongly now. The wee beardy was incredible. Maybe his best ever performance - and given how many brilliant games he played in the year we won the First that is saying something.

Perversely, that means that I would NOT have given the MoM to ANY of the 4-goal scorers I have seen for Thistle: for me the MoM in those games would be -

• Kinnaird in the 11-1 v. Rovers (he made 8 of them!) despite Cammy scoring 4
  • Gerry in the 6-2 v. Dundee (total legend that day) despite Shaw scoring 4
  • Lawless last night despite Dools scoring 4.

Mind you, THAT back heel...

Edited by Watson Towers

First, seems a bit off to actually pick one after Wed. night, as everybody was splendid.

Second, if one is to be picked, it would of course be the 4-goal super-star...

Or is it? I kinda thought last night that Lawless actually pipped Dools for the accolade, and having just watched the Alba highlights I think so even more strongly now. The wee beardy was incredible. Maybe his best ever performance - and given how many brilliant games he played in the year we won the First that is saying something.

Perversely, that means that I would NOT have given the MoM to ANY of the 4-goal scorers I have seen for Thistle: for me the MoM in those games would be -

• Kinnaird in the 11-1 v. Rovers (he made 8 of them!) despite Cammy scoring 4
  • Gerry in the 6-2 v. Dundee (total legend that day) despite Shaw scoring 4
  • Lawless last night despite Dools scoring 4.

Mind you, THAT back heel...

Dammit, I'm going to watch that AGAIN! :happy2:

Maybe worth mentioning that putting the goals aside Dools played very well the other night. Sometimes MotM is just awarded to a goalscorer who has done hee haw for most of the game and just comes alive at the right moment(s). Kris was heavily involved in the game throughout the 80 mins he was on the pitch.

Can't argue that in virtually all other games a performance like Lawless's would almost certainly win MotM. There's also honourable mentions for both full backs, Craigen & Stevenson even just for effort alone never mind contribution. For the reasons I mentioned it still has to be Doolan

Even taking away the goals, I thought that was Doolans best game for us in his time here.

I've been critical recently of his heading ability, I'd watching it closely and his timing was terrible, pretty much always jumping too early, resting on the defender.

But the other night his heading was outstanding for long balls and lay offs, with practically every header met with purpose and a target in mind.

Everything came off for him, chests, flicks, the lot.

• Members

The thing with Doolan is that he never gives the defenders a moments peace. Central defenders need to be really fast to beat him to the ball when it's played into the corners. I'd say Trigger was the last centre forward we had that had that particular strength. Archie definitely seems to know the best way to get the best results from him. Kris always benefits from a spell on the bench and always comes back with a few goals!

Hasn't Dools scored a good few goals for us with his noggin? One day if somebody produces a compilation of his goals it would be interesting to get the ratio.

He does, and i'm not denying his ability to meet a cross in and around the six yard box.

However he had really been struggling with long balls and cross field balls to the back post for example. I don't know what it was, but there was a long spell where he was winning nothing in the air and making it quite easy for defenders, almost every time he was misjudging the timing of his jump as opposed to just losing out to stronger defenders.

Hopefully Wednesday has put that behind him.

I wouldn't have argued against either of them as Lawless was different class but Doolan also produced the goods not only in his finishing but also his distribution. In the case of Lawless, I imagine a lot of us wouldn't have been surprised if Archie had dumped him at the start of the season but the manager must have saw something that made him feel Lawless would improve after an indifferent season last year.