Kilmarnock V Thistle 24Th January

Jag

Personally after that performance and being behind I am happy we got the point. It looked like we had thrown it away again.

It's so frustrating that we can't string a couple of good performances together in a row. I don't understand why we persisted with the long punt forward when clearly we weren't getting any joy from it.

After his brilliant performance on Wednesday, Kris Doolan will be disappointed not to have scored with either of the two glaring chances he had in the first half. Still worked his socks off though and caused Kilmarnock problems through sheer persistence. I thought Christie Elliott excelled again in a team littered with under performers. Bannigan was quite good going forward from left back but again was suspect when defending. I hope we can avoid playing him there in future.

Still, as mentioned before, we win next week and it's three points from seven games. I just hope it's the good Thistle that turn up.

Personally after that performance and being behind I am happy we got the point. It looked like we had thrown it away again.

It's so frustrating that we can't string a couple of good performances together in a row. I don't understand why we persisted with the long punt forward when clearly we weren't getting any joy from it.

After his brilliant performance on Wednesday, Kris Doolan will be disappointed not to have scored with either of the two glaring chances he had in the first half. Still worked his socks off though and caused Kilmarnock problems through sheer persistence. I thought Christie Elliott excelled again in a team littered with under performers. Bannigan was quite good going forward from left back but again was suspect when defending. I hope we can avoid playing him there in future.

Still, as mentioned before, we win next week and it's three points from seven games. I just hope it's the good Thistle that turn up.

I think that should be seven points from three games. Your version would be relegation form

• Like 3

I'll take the point & move on.

7 from 9 always should've been target from Hamilton, Killie & St Mirren so we're on course.

Elliot's injury shows we need a left back in preferably before Friday now as don't fancy Banzo playing there tbh (though to be fair did ok when moved there this avo.

Negatives:

Set piece again our undoing. Been said before but when you have 2 former centre halves as coaches & the GK coach between the sticks along with 2 giant CH (& Osman) it's helluva frustrating.

Our inconsistency this season summed up in one match. Brilliant for 20 then poor for 20!!

Their pitch. Shite. These surfaces should be banned. End of.

Positives:

Elliot I thought did well again at LB before he got injured.

To come back so quickly after going 2-1 behind shows a but of character.

We're in a position that a win on Friday sees us all but safe & can hopefully start sitting down with players we want to keep & offer 'acceptable' terms.

Here's hoping...

Seems Christie has taken to the left back position like a duck to water. Absolute credit to Archie / Shaggy for discovering that option - oh and to Mr Elliott himself.

Our management team have without any doubt earned their spurs in the top flight and I unreservedly take my hat off to them. So good to be a Thistle fan.

OTIG.

Draw was probably a fair result, though if Dools had buried one of the chances at 1-0 it would probably have been enough to get us the three points. Notice nobody had mentioned us scoring late goals in the last two games while not conceding ourselves in the last 10 minutes!! Saw the potential in Christie at left back at Fir Park and that has been thoroughly backed up in the two games he has played since. Surprised with Frans and Seaborne in the defence today how ropey we were with cross balls, still it's been a good few days and a win on Friday will will take us a fair bit clear of the bottom 3.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

...I don't understand why we persisted with the long punt forward when clearly we weren't getting any joy from it....

Thought we got out of jail today.

Too many high balls, keep it on the deck jags!...

There seems to be a problem with confidence when players stop playing the ball on the deck, as if the response to Kilmarnock's kick-and-rush is just to do the same. Poor Doolan had the ball punted up the park to him on numerous occasions, as if he could be expected to convert every ball vaguely in his direction, with two or even three defenders close at hand, into goals. He won more than his fair share of these, but that's one way to sap energy from your sole striker so that it's harder for him to be sharp in front to the goalmouth when the opportunities do open up. At times the head tennis in midfield was getting ridiculous, and aerial football just negates the skills our players have, making it a matter of luck who wins. I wonder if the plastic encourages aerial fooball, which I seem to remember as a feature of Hamilton Accies previously, too, because the bounce is predictable (albeit not in the same way as that on a neat grass pitch).

Unusually, Osman didn't look as comfortable on the ball as he usually is.

Some of the lunges (even two-footed!) by Kilmarnock players were alarming, while it seemed that under Mr Collum's guidance there is an innovative rule: any tackle by a Thistle player is to be penalised. Let's hope it doesn't catch on.

Edited by Fearchar
  • Like 2

"You saw the fans get right behind the team today, I thought the fans were fantastic. It was a really good atmosphere.

We're trying to get in the top six, that's the aim, but we need to win games like this."

Just seen this quote from Killie manager!!

I'll have a pint of what he's having!!

Edited by JAGSMAN1968

That pitch spoiled the game. I'd hate to watch football on that every week. I'd don't think either of the first two goals would have beaten the keeper on grass. Poor game. Christie did fine and I thought Craigan was fine too, but no one was outstanding. Referee was hopeless, but they had penalty claims and an offside claim on our equaliser so maybe we came off ok.

"You saw the fans get right behind the team today, I thought the fans were fantastic. It was a really good atmosphere. We're trying to get in the top six, that's the aim, but we need to win games like this." Just seen this quote from Killie manager!! I'll have a pint of what he's having!!

hilarious. Their fans were torn-faced, *****-bawzed misery-guts.

• Like 1

2 poor teams today, not much quality on show from either team. Draw a fair result.

thought bannigan did well when he came on, other than that big frans prob my motm, but it was slim pickings after wednesday nigt where every player had a claim on motm.

But considerin other results a good point

"You saw the fans get right behind the team today, I thought the fans were fantastic. It was a really good atmosphere.

We're trying to get in the top six, that's the aim, but we need to win games like this."

Just seen this quote from Killie manager!!

I'll have a pint of what he's having!!

there was Killie fans there??? Never heard them myself.

Having been to both Rugby park games this season, I definitely think the pitch negatively affects the game. The ball bounces at funny angles and speeds up / slows down unexpectedly. It even catches the Killie players out at times though it was obviously worse for our players. I understand why clubs go artificial but it puts me off going to games.

One final moan, please can people stop the Archie Must Go "ironic jokes" already, they're really not funny anymore. Ta

• Like 1

One final moan, please can people stop the Archie Must Go "ironic jokes" already, they're really not funny anymore. Ta

Agree, but what really isn't funny is the fact that some feel the need to do it to highlight the ludicracy of some folk on here.

Didn't understand the substitutions today (even the players seemed bemused by what position they where supposed to be playing in as they need a couple of trips back to the dugout to clarify their orders). I can only assume injuries where involved. I know Higgy can turn a match from nothing sometimes but...today I've no idea why he stayed on and Lawless came off.

Set piece again our undoing. Been said before but when you have 2 former centre halves as coaches & the GK coach between the sticks along with 2 giant CH (& Osman) it's helluva frustrating

About this time last season, we were undoubtedly very poor at defending set pieces. This season we're greatly improved, and I honestly can't think of that many conceded from set pieces overall. I no longer panic every time we concede a corner anyway. Every team concedes a few this way, and given the amount of chopping and changing that's been necessary at the back this season, I think we're OK at defending set pieces overall.

About this time last season, we were undoubtedly very poor at defending set pieces. This season we're greatly improved, and I honestly can't think of that many conceded from set pieces overall. I no longer panic every time we concede a corner anyway. Every team concedes a few this way, and given the amount of chopping and changing that's been necessary at the back this season, I think we're OK at defending set pieces overall.

Definitely, i'd say with frans and seabourne in the side we have 2 centre halfs who will dominate our box and win a lot of of headers when we're defending set pieces, along with a few other players in the side who are good in the air (i remember dools on wednesday with a great defensive header when defending a corner)

I dont know if we've been working on this in training but we do seem to be a whole lot better at defending set pieces than we were last season.

• Like 1