New Signing On The Horizon

jagfox

I'll be happy with this if it's with a view to a permanent deal. Without having the energy to check, I wonder if he's of the ATS/SOD age that Hibs wouldn't be due compensation if he moves in the summer?

He's 24 in May so no compensation due. Also, even if he was young, if Hibs didn't offer him a contract they'd be entitled to no compensation.

Edited by ThickAsThieves
  • Like 2

This is what a Hibs supporting pal had to say on him.

"Think he'll suit you guys. Better going forward than he is defensively. Was compared to Gareth Bale when he first broke through (don't laugh) but lost his way with a bad attitude and poor fitness levels.

"Don't know if he still mixes with the same crowd, but he was in with a bad lot. But told the penny has dropped at last."

Yeah, doesn't mean though that if he impresses Hibs won't offer him a new deal or a rival wouldn't better our offer. I know we're probably wanting to check him out at this level but could mean we lose him if he impresses, unless there is a deal in place if he plays so many games etc.

You'd have to hope we'd know quite quickly if we want to retain him. There's every chance after getting punted about so often he'd want stability of contract asap. It's just so different with the player stepping up a division.

Certainly encouraged with this loan deal. I'd like to think with his experience he'd be better than Carroll. Two C(K)allum's playing down the left has gotta be better than one.

This is what a Hibs supporting pal had to say on him.

"Think he'll suit you guys. Better going forward than he is defensively. Was compared to Gareth Bale when he first broke through (don't laugh) but lost his way with a bad attitude and poor fitness levels.

"Don't know if he still mixes with the same crowd, but he was in with a bad lot. But told the penny has dropped at last."

Thank goodness Griffiths is at Celtic now ;)

Now if we get McMillan back I'd be happy with the squad to see us through the season. Without him I'd say we're still short at full-back

I can't see us bringing in another fullback tho' the lad the other night could probably cover. No club would want to loan us a fullback if he wasn't going to get regular games. Without McMillan we'll just have to make do with SOD, Booth, Christie, Keenan and perhaps another U20s lad

He's 24 in May so no compensation due. Also, even if he was young, if Hibs didn't offer him a contract they'd be entitled to no compensation.

And this is THE key benefit of signing a player, especially at 23/24, who will be out of contract in May. If Booth proves himself, the club can offer him a pre-contract agreement. It's better to have the opportunity to sign a loan player permanently. The club can get the long-term benefit of the management team's coaching and experience whilst he is on loan. It good to see ex-loanees do well (e.g. Wilkinson, Dorrans etc) but it's better if we can keep them.

One way or the other, we won't see McMillan again. If the investigation goes against him, he'll be out. If it goes for him, he won't want to play for us. Forget him.

Not sure I accept that McMillan is as good as gone, considering none of us have any idea what the investigation is about. The club/McMillan have made no real comment about it and he's still on full pay 3 weeks into a suspension.

I know this may all be a legal issue but if he's 'definitely' leaving I'd have thought he'd be out of the club within the transfer window, which obviously shuts very soon. Surprised that's it's taking so long to resolve.

No real issue with the transfer window though. If we release him he's free to sign for someone at any time. There's a cynical argument that suggests that we could now afford to find against him, now that we've been able to replace him. But I'm not that cynical.

Seems like a good addition :)

I take it we can't sign Booth on a pre-contract for the summer while he's on loan with us? if he impresses.

If he is 23 and under by the end of the season and moved within scottish football, we will have to pay a development fee. Once he is free agent (end of hibs contract) no matter what age you can sign for free.

Thats as far as i am aware

No real issue with the transfer window though. If we release him he's free to sign for someone at any time. There's a cynical argument that suggests that we could now afford to find against him, now that we've been able to replace him. But I'm not that cynical.

But we can't just decide to release him - he's under contract. If this investigation finds that he's broken its terms it surely has to be proven.

If we just decided we don't need him any more, he'd either be due all of his remaining wages or at least a sizeable pay-off.

But we can't just decide to release him - he's under contract. If this investigation finds that he's broken its terms it surely has to be proven.

If we just decided we don't need him any more, he'd either be due all of his remaining wages or at least a sizeable pay-off.

On the sole basis of his on field performances I don't believe there would be many fans who would argue we would be better off without McMillan. On that same basis he was an early candidate for player of the year. You are of course totally correct, albeit hypothetical, re Jordan's current legal standing