2016 - 140 Years Of Ptfc

ian_mac

Mentioned this in another thread but I feel it deserves one of it's own.

2016 will mark the 140th anniversary of the club. It would be an ideal opportunity to really have a good few shindigs and celebrations to get some money in the coffers and comemorate what it means to support the jags. Would also be a great way to try and increase the home crowds. From memory we had at least 600 folk at the '71 party at hampden in 2011, which was a marvellous achievment. So the potential is there to pull off events like these. We could even have different events happening throughout the year appealing to different demographics and age groups. Would mean there was a constant stream of income coming in to the club throughout the year. We really could make the most of this if we plan far enough in advance.

Would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts. Is this something people would get excited about or is it just another year?

Edited by ian_mac
  • Like 1

Mentioned this in another thread but I feel it deserves one of it's own.

2016 will mark the 140th anniversary of the club. It would be an ideal opportunity to really have a good few shindigs and celebrations to get some money in the coffers and comemorate what it means to support the jags. Would also be a great way to try and increase the home crowds. From memory we had at least 600 folk at the '71 party at hampden in 2011, which was a marvellous achievment. So the potential is there to pull off events like these. We could even have different events happening throughout the year appealing to different demographics and age groups. Would mean there was a constant stream of income coming in to the club throughout the year. We really could make the most of this if we plan far enough in advance.

Would be interested to hear other peoples thoughts. Is this something people would get excited about or is it just another year?

excellent thread and completely agree.

One idea might be a special third strip - for the 140th anniversary. Maybe the strip could detail all our honours over the years - Scottish cup, league cup, first and second division titles. List the stadiums eg meadow side, firhill etc

Would hope their would be a special function as suggested by Ian similar to the 40th anniversary of 1971.

Might be a good idea after people have put suggestions would be to ensure the club are notified of it though they should be given it serious thought already

Edited by Third Lanark

The 25's and 50's I get, but if you force every 10 years something special then they become less special and devalue the real milestones. Maybe just me, but you did ask my opinion.

I get what you're saying and I broadly agree it's not great to milk these things.

But I don't remember us doing much for the 130th anniversary. I know we did a bit for the 125th but that was 15 years ago. So I don't think that's what we would be doing if we celebrated the 140th.

I think it would be good for the new generation of jags fans to really get attached to the club for years to come. As a club and a fanbase I don't think we currently celebrate and shout about what it really means to be a jags fan.

Edited by ian_mac

First reaction was similar to Dick D and Collins Out, Just another year and you can over egg those sort of things. Thinking a wee bit more I wonder if the Club from a fans perspective can afford to wait another 11 years before the next anniversary?

A couple of thoughts.

Firstly it's got to be anticipated that the 150 year celebrations will be Club/Board organised and driven, tho' perhaps delegated to a steering committee or whatever these sort of things are now called. So maybe if a 140 year celebration is to take place it should be fan organised. We've all seen how successful the Firhill Cup has been from Day 1. Not saying that the Club itself doesn't bend over backwards to support this but its conception and initial running is down I believe to two Jags fans (apologies if there is a third or more).

Secondly Ian mentions "a new generation of fans". That got me thinking sort of in tandem to the Hall of Fame some sort of a mini Hall of Fame where we could honour more recent "heroes". Players that did us great service in recent years that the younger supporters would appreciate. Kinda been beaten to a couple of suggestions as Kenny Arthur and Gerry Britton are justly receiving "the big one" but there's quite a few other players who've been recent "heroes". Not for me to mention anyone but in way of example if their surnames were Rowson or Roberts it would be OK with me.

It's probably wrong to term HoF dinners as elitist but the cost factor will certainly curtail most of our younger fans in particular attending. I feel then there could be mileage in having some sort of occasion(s) where all ages could attend. Properly thought out something like that could double as a decent fund raiser and a feel good event.

• Like 1

You could just have a gathering such as we had for the Ramsdens Cup Final and the League win bash. I'm sure that would do for us who like to exercise their elbows. Realistically, some of us won't be around for the 150 year anniversary whether it's differing commitments in life at that point or having gone to the great Shed in the sky. So why not.

I think it would be good for the new generation of jags fans to really get attached to the club for years to come. As a club and a fanbase I don't think we currently celebrate and shout about what it really means to be a jags fan.

I think celebrating 140 years is a great idea. A lot of young fans will be adults in 10 years time so why not consider a glamour friendly and get the kids involved. Would be great for them to see Thistle play a decent team from outside Scotland.

125 years was fourteen years ago ..... as highlighted above, all those benefiting from kids go free, and even for a fair percentage of those who are now students or in their late teens or early twenties, will not have had the opportunity to experience and enjoy such celebrations and potentially be invigorated to feel a bigger pride and closeness to the club.

foresee no downside or negative financial impact to the club can i ..... and whether it's a more fan led and organised series of celebratory events and games as suggested already, or driven by the club (though suggest i would a equal fifty fifty organising committee of club and fan reps if this is the eventual route of planning and co ordinating), the income from attendees to any events and merchandise and associated sponsorship revenue, would also be welcome for the clubs coffers. a broad range of events and opportunities which allow the fans and players and club to be all included and should be encouraged and pursued ..... it's not only glamour friendly(s) or a few get togethers.

the list of possibilities is long it is ..... to kick off, how about a mega draw of 140 prizes which can range from a juicy five figure prize down to signed shirts and balls and a multitude of goodies in between ..... season ticket holders get twenty entries, patg get an entry every game they attend, the big draw at end of season/year celebration event at firhill.

we are after all glasgows oldest professional football club now, and celebrating one hundred and forty years uninterrupted history is something we should all be proud of.

It's no special thing really. No need for anything.

like your birthday then? it's no special thing, no need to mention it in future.

• Like 1

Some ideas in the mix...

A match against KB Copenhagen, continental Europe's oldest club, formed in 1876. Downside is they only exist now as FC Copenhagen's reserve team and are in the lowly 5th tier.

A match against Valencia thereby commemorating our first recorded game against the Glasgow junior side of the same name back in February 1876. Ambitious maybe, but then the Spanish are always intrigued by their historical roots, might their curiosity be piqued? Perhaps they could be tempted over as part of a pre-season tour of Britain?

A match against Vale of Clyde could possibly create a new world record for the Guinness Book = good publicity. We haven't played them since 1878 and the "rematch" taking place X amount of years later would make for an extraordinary story.

• Like 1

Following on from the mini hall of fame idea, how about a supporters half of fame? Show some respect to the old boys who have been going religiously their whole lives. I'm sure we all know at least one of them. I can think of several of the top of my head.

• Like 2

Following on from the mini hall of fame idea, how about a supporters half of fame? Show some respect to the old boys who have been going religiously their whole lives. I'm sure we all know at least one of them. I can think of several of the top of my head.

The guy I go to the games with, rarely misses a home or away match, is 92yrs old. Saw his 1st game in the early 1930s, can't be many his age still alive never mind going to the game week in, week out.

Great man, great fan, Thistle legend in my eyes.

The guy I go to the games with, rarely misses a home or away match, is 92yrs old. Saw his 1st game in the early 1930s, can't be many his age still alive never mind going to the game week in, week out.

Great man, great fan, Thistle legend in my eyes.

Great story - great fan (be honest, is he your son?! :frantic::innocent2: )

[My late dad went to his last game (Queen's Park - Hampden September 2000 (1-0 Danny Lennon) - he wasn't well and had been given the news that he only had a few months to go. He always told me stories of "Elliot, Lambie and MacLeod", of Johnny Torbet and the Celtic game when John Thompson punched the ball into his own net under pressure from Thistle attackers who, in those days, could just barge a goalie into the net if he had caught it. Old stories from before you were born are always more interesting than your own more mundane memories.]

Edited by JeanieD

140 years is maybe not as noteable milestone 50/100/150... But it is still something which we should not just be proud of, but also very grateful for. As I said in another thread too... How many Third Lanark or Sevco fans would bite your hand off for that kinda history.

We can add to that, we've stayed close to home in a city where the big two are not just our noisy neighbours but the big two the whole country has to compete with. Clyde had to head for the sticks, Meadowbank moved out and changed their identity when they couldn't afford the big city rates. We, by hook or by crook, have kept plugin away, and depite taking a few knocks and putting up with some uninformed ridicule are not doing so badly for an unpredictable team.

It's not a big one, but for a Jags Fan, who knows the club, the history, highs and heartache, it's an anniversary that's always worth celebrating. I dunno that the club itself need the work right now. They've got plenty to be getting on with in the day job. So perhaps it's the fans who might plan the party and give them a probably deserved day off.

Love the idea of a glamour friendly, but maybe Valencia should be put on ice till the big 150. For 140, so long as it's recognised and celebrated, and respect and appreciation to those who started, grew and perpetuate the adventure is shown, others might just "get" the jags.

• Another big flag like the "we stand together" one. A player pic from each decade? Strips over the years?
  • A first game of the season, or anniversary (19th feb, mark it in your diary folks!!!) of the Valencia game "corteo" ( procession, parade or troop up to the game for the anti ultras). Starting at Overnewton park( if y'don't know where that is find out), up through kelvin grove or byres road to the promised land. Flags, banners, songs, smoke bombs, some t1t with a megaphone leading the chant. Plenty decent pubs down that neck of the woods for pre match marchin juice. Sure we could rustle up a couple hundred proud thistle boys to make some noise for us comming down the road.

I ain't got any objections to the other ideas, but not everything has to be a fundraiser. LETS PARTY! :partyhat:

Being a jags fan is fun, right?

:fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

I think that's a great idea, Ian. I know of one elderly supporter, who for health and mobility reasons can't attend any longer. His first game was during WW2.

I think that's a great idea, Ian. I know of one elderly supporter, who for health and mobility reasons can't attend any longer. His first game was during WW2.

I'd love to read an interview / hear the memories of senior fans like that in the match program. Would be a fitting way to respect them and be a fascinating read too.

• 1 month later...