Justin Motherwell!

Lindau

During the week, when there were a lot of comments from jags fans about how nervous we were, I thought that our support would be quite quiet. Far from it - the fans were really up for that yesterday,NS and JHS and the players were up for it too.

The 1st half was really cagey and although the football wasn't that great, I was quite happy that we hadn't lost anything at half time.

As has been said, we got right into them straight from kick off when LT pressured them into booting the ball out for a throw in. It was really one way traffic after that. I have noticed in recent games that we defend in packs. There were several times when 3 or 4 were around a 'Well attacker.

Everyone did their bit. Well done Jags

Agreed LJ. The wind was swirling but it looked like they had the advantage of that in the first half, so I was quite happy to reach HT on level terms. Basically we destroyed them in the second half. The whole picture for me has changed with the defence. They just don't look like conceding and if you don't lose goals, you don't lose games. Have always liked Conrad but the improvement in his game since he got a run with Fred has been phenomenal and not just defensively. He is always a danger at set pieces. Not meaning this in a bad way, but Seaborne getting injured has changed our whole season. Plenty of praise is also due to the full backs. A few on here didn't appear to rate Booth, but I would be getting him signed up pronto. Good, solid full back and certainly the best since ATS left.

Edited by Lindau

Both goals offside according to barraclough whilst sucking his dummy tit, awwwww. Bbc also credits well to two shots on target, anyone remember those???

Obviously his comments are to keep motivation up and not a true reflection of the game, or are they? Three wins in a row at firhill and the only manager to give us any credit is big yogi Hughes.

I think the 2 shots on target were Sutton's great chance in the first minute (which was blocked for a corner) and a very weak header at Fox in the middle of the first half.

Basically after that 1 mistake early on we were pretty much in control.

I started getting the (positive) butterflies on Thursday, and they're still in my belly. I walked out of Firhill at the end and into Crosslands feeling 15 feet tall. Yesterday, for me, was what being a Jag is all about: not a cup final, not a league decider, not a Euro qualifier but just a big game in another helter skelter Thistle season; great Jags turnout and a great turnout from an opposition club of a similar status to ourselves.

Agree with the point made about them having the better of the wind conditions in the first half; too many of our passes couldn't be controlled due to the wind. Still happy to go in on level terms. The management team deserve enormous credit for what happened next, in my opinion. Everybody found an extra 15-20% from the kick off. Lyle Taylor was a giant and fully deserved his MotM rating, not only for his goals - the first of which was simply majestic - but for the way he single handedly tormented the Motherwell back four for the entire duration of his time on the park. Fair play to big Abby who ran Lyle close for his MotM award, but LT was fully deserving of it.

The North Stand was a cauldron of viral Jaggyness, and the fans were chapping on the door for an accolade of their own. Pished maself laughing throughout the second half at the sublime chants directed towards the Main Stand. "Thanks for your money, now get yourselves home"; "Youse must be shiting it, youse must be shiting it"; You're goin down tae play the sevco." And many more.

Just loving being a Jag.

Monni Thistle.

I started getting the (positive) butterflies on Thursday, and they're still in my belly. I walked out of Firhill at the end and into Crosslands feeling 15 feet tall. Yesterday, for me, was what being a Jag is all about: not a cup final, not a league decider, not a Euro qualifier but just a big game in another helter skelter Thistle season; great Jags turnout and a great turnout from an opposition club of a similar status to ourselves.

Agree with the point made about them having the better of the wind conditions in the first half; too many of our passes couldn't be controlled due to the wind. Still happy to go in on level terms. The management team deserve enormous credit for what happened next, in my opinion. Everybody found an extra 15-20% from the kick off. Lyle Taylor was a giant and fully deserved his MotM rating, not only for his goals - the first of which was simply majestic - but for the way he single handedly tormented the Motherwell back four for the entire duration of his time on the park. Fair play to big Abby who ran Lyle close for his MotM award, but LT was fully deserving of it.

The North Stand was a cauldron of viral Jaggyness, and the fans were chapping on the door for an accolade of their own. Pished maself laughing throughout the second half at the sublime chants directed towards the Main Stand. "Thanks for your money, now get yourselves home"; "Youse must be shiting it, youse must be shiting it"; You're goin down tae play the sevco." And many more.

Just loving being a Jag.

Monni Thistle.

Totally agree, the NS was bouncing yesterday. Fantastic to see and what a difference it makes to Firhill when all the 3 stands are joining in.

Most enjoyable game of the season for me. First half Motherwell came at us and played with a high tempo but our defence held firm. Second half we turned the tables but big different is their defence wobbled and we could have scored more.

Big Taylor was super throughout the game. Even first half even though isolated still caused well problems. He is quick and strong and our players know they can just lob it forward and they know he has a good chance of getting to it. Hope we manage to hold on to him but there could be other Premiership clubs in for him.

Thought Balatoni had another cracking game. Composed throughout the game and dealt with any threat from Motherwell. Both Fullbacks also played well both defensibly and in attacking roles. Was not certain about Booth previously but yesterday he was excellent and hope we sign him for next year. Made a lot of runs forward – something that we have missed since Sinclair left and of course his cross lead to our second goal.

Motherwell tried to get a reaction out of our players, how Person was not booked I don’t know. He could have went for pushing his head into SOD and had a nasty challenge on Stevenson later that went without a card.

Interesting to see what happens to Motherwell, would take Pearson if he was to become available and if Taylor does not sign John Sutton. He was poor yesterday but he appears to be a player that needs a change of club every few years to get the best out of him. Just like Mark Roberts. All depends on if they go down to whether they become available.

Great result for us and a great day of football.

Yeah, it was a classic chant. I also liked the "you're going down with the secvo" chant which of course isn't factually accurate but it was feckn funny.

It was "down to play the Sevco", which may well prove factually accurate!

tbf, i think it was a bit of both ..... some were singing "down to play", others sang "down with".

i'm certain when it gets future renditions post split vs st mirren and motherwell everyone will get the words right.

Motherwell tried to get a reaction out of our players, how Person was not booked I don’t know. He could have went for pushing his head into SOD and had a nasty challenge on Stevenson later that went without a card.

Osman was getting lumps booted out of him every time he got the ball , think he was pulled down three times in a row at one point,and then Mad-yin books Balatoni for kicking the ball away.

Osman was getting lumps booted out of him every time he got the ball , think he was pulled down three times in a row at one point,and then Mad-yin books Balatoni for kicking the ball away.

I agree but it just seemed to spur the big man on. Pearson was made to look like a 14 year old boy in the 2nd half - hard to believe he played at the highest level on that performance. All down to Osman bossing him.

A terrific 2nd half performance from the whole team. Would love to know the secret behind balatoni's resurgance, he's been absolutely immense. Taylor is an absolute colossus in that form, their defence just had no answer to him all day. Would love to be in a position where could play him and doolan together, as they are both very different players who compliment each other so well.

So proud with the performance from both the fans and the players today. The last six weeks have seen a massive improvement in form, and all credit goes to the players and management team. It may have taken over two years, but I finally think Archie knows who his best eleven players are. If I read correctly, I think we are going into the split for the first time in over 40 years with a positive goal difference.

The performance today was first class. Patient, albeit a bit turgid in the first half, but after the break we looked like the real deal. If ever there was a match that highlights why we NEED Lyle Taylor next season, today was it.

On a side note, I would like to congratulate the Motherwell fans. I think their drumming and singing section is brilliant, so well done to them trying to replicate fans on the continent. It is a real shame that Scottish fans (and a few on this forum) seem to think so little of these guys that would be common place and idolised in German or Italian leagues. Okay, it’s a bit corny, but they have the right idea. It is a welcome change from the sit down, don’t make a sound and eat your pie mentality that is seen in 99% of Scottish grounds. The North Stand was great today as well, so I think we need to give ourselves some credit too, but it would be nice to see a few more in the NS singing their heart out.

Really glad that Y and R has touched on this, as I must confess that I thought the 'well fans were excellent yesterday. There is nothing wrong with a group of fans who want to make some noise and bring some colour for 90 minutes. It works in Germany at lower-league level, where some grounds even have space set aside for such fans and their drums, banners and flags. For my tuppence worth, the drum keeps the singing and chanting going. Without something to keep singing fans ticking along, our fans and those of other clubs tend to stand but not make much noise. It is just a suggestion, but it may be time that Thistle and other clubs in Scotland moved into the European mainstream in that respect.

A pal of mine from Germany has been coming along to the games for a couple of months now and has remarked at how consistently quiet all the stadia in Scotland are, with the large group of standing fans behind the goals present at most grounds doing just that and not much else. Nevertheless, delighted to say that he enjoyed himself yesterday and that we have a new convert! :D

It's a personal choice Terminator and probably down to an age thing. The atmosphere was great yesterday, no doubting that, but for me the drumming just got on my tits and there was plenty around me in the NS saying similar things. I am no fuddy duddy.......I have got tickets for the all day punk show at the ABC on the 25th ( hope we are playing County away that day, or else I will only be catching The Anti Nowhere League, Angelic Upstarts, The Exploited and The Damned...lol) and got some metal gigs coming up (The Tubes and The Dictators NYC) as well, so I like my loud music. Sadly for me, drums ain't for footie!!

Apologies if someone else has mentioned this but I thought that as the game wore on we looked the stronger, fitter side which was impressive as Motherwell had the extra day to recover plus we played 45 mins at Parkhead with 10 men.

I think that is one good legacy Macnamara left us. The attacking system he used required superb fitness and he instigated the training at the army camp I believe and Archie has added to this with the Sports Science stuff. In the (what was) first division our fitness was miles ahead of any team and even in the top league we are one of the fittest teams.

• Like 1

I may be havering but wasn't Madden pulled up recently for giving ridiculously too many bookings and red cards? He seems to have reacted to this by not booking when he should. Are these guys so thick they don't realise going from one extreme to the other is not correcting your faults.

I may be havering but wasn't Madden pulled up recently for giving ridiculously too many bookings and red cards? He seems to have reacted to this by not booking when he should. Are these guys so thick they don't realise going from one extreme to the other is not correcting your faults.

Was it not Collum that got pulled up for it no?

Not a fuddy duddy? Sorry to tell you, Lindau, but being into punk qualifies you as one these days. Don't forget to pack your Werther's Originals for the gig!

Haha Scotty. What I was trying to emphasise is that I like my music loud, but have no time for drums at footie matches!