New Kits For Next Season

Yellow & Redneck

Maybe a bit too much black for us, but I really like that strip.

Club Leones Negros de la Universidad de Guadalajara is a belter of a name as well.

Quite like their strip which they won promotion to the Mexican top flight:

leones-negros-u-de-g-campeones-ascenso-mx.jpg

Gotta love the ten advertising logos on the shirts and shorts, not including the club badges. I'll bet there's two or three on the backs, too!

this is a subject that comes round almost every year (as mr mac noted, clubs fleece fans and change strips too often), and every year we get some belter good suggestions and some belter bad suggestions ..... but in the main, we hardly ever end up with a strip from the club (or kit partners) that screams it is quintessentially thistle while being bold, striking and uniformly liked by the support.

i like the club leones negros de la universidad de guadalajara strip, and the basic mockup sinistar did ..... and as mentioned earlier in thread, other fans have come up with some excellent mockup designs in seasons past. how hard is it to have unbroken stripes (or hoops) with an innovative eye catching design, predominately red and yellow, with flashes of black (whether that's black shoulders, or arms or even black between the red and yellow bands)?.

this is usually always a good thread subject, and this latest one has a lot of good posts on this thread so far, can't like all, but special highlight to these, so if club is viewing, please take these opinions on board, and make our next strip (and leisure and training wear range) a magnificent eye catching belter that screams partick thistle and proud.

that would look even better if the shoulders were black. I think there has been to much yellow in our last 2 strips, get back to red yellow n black.

I actually prefer the broad red & yellow stripes/black shorts we changed to in the mid 70's...and have a retro affection for the hoops...I didn't like the recent strip which was mainly yellow with thin red stripes even though we wore it when we were promoted again.

We have bright and distinctive club colours - it should be an ideal opportunity for sharp designs for strips and training gear but a lot of our strips have looked garish.

Exactly. Let's have some bold broad stripes (or hoops) of red and yellow in equal proportions.

No more of this candy stripe stuff that looks like yellow on its own from any sort of distance.

• Like 1

In some ways we are never going to be able to get a universally popular shirt. Over the years we have switched between stripes and hoops and now we have a group of fans that love stripes and hate hoops and another camp which loves hoops and hates stripes. There is a 3rd group which hankers back to the all yellow shirt, circa 71. To compound the problem, the fan base is of a certain generation which wants a "traditional" shirt, which makes it hard for a supplier to come up with a modern design. The one time we tried it was the jester top which was far from universally popular (by strange coincidence it is one of the few former shirts that I have kept !)

Whatever design that Joma come up with, the best hope they have is for it to be loved and hated in equal measures

I agree with Ian. I'm sure at one stage we were about the only club in Scotland keeping a home kit for two seasons. In saying that, fans aren't obligated to buy shirts and I haven't bought one in a few years as we haven't had a good one since we left puma.

• Like 1

I liked the first joma home top. It was reminiscent of the late 80s and early 90s strips so suited me great. It was let down by the yellow patch on the back.

The sponsor space was down to MacB and no fault can be laid at Joma or TTL's door.

On the plus side, it had a nice collar, black shoulders and striped sleeves. All big pluses. Added to that, the long sleeve has thick black cuffs. Very vintage.

The latest home strip? I don't like it at all. However it could have been recovered with black sleeves. It's just too yellow. However it's worth noting that TTL listened to the number patch and sponsor space logo issues and addressed both.

It's interesting that the TTL version of the club badge is a much better quality in detail, compared to the one greaves made. The greaves made badge is blurry. TTL use the same badge maker that makes Chelsea and real madrids badges amongst others. However, the TTL badge is tiny in comparison to the Greaves version.

When I was asked to get involved with TTL I submitted 3 home and 3 away top designs. The home tops were similar to the 60s hoop top and other vertical striped tops. Simple in design, thick hoop or stripe.

The away tops were white. One similar to the black puma away top, one like dumbarton's top, replacing their black with red, the other was white with black shoulders & sleeves, with a red/yellow/red stripe from the armpit to the hem.

What I did do was remove the circle from the badge and enlarge the thistle, like the 60s or 70s badge, but a hairy baw sack version.

I've got them saved on my dads hard drive and will try and post them this weekend.

For reference I'm not involved in helping TTL these days. The last input I had was them making us a tartan scarf, which I pestered them from day 1 about.

Edited by potty trained

Worth noting, I'd be surprised to see a yellow top this year.

I was asked about it and I suggested there was no point in doing it as the last 2 seasons have had no anniversary reference to '71. Maybe season 2016/17 though?

TTL really wanted to do a 71 throw back, but that was mostly to do with it being easier to make as red and yellow is difficult to dye side by side, as the bleed and run into each other.

Likewise thick stripes, that I've also suggested, have been met with objection as it's difficult to make kids versions that replicate the adult version. Hence the thinner stripe and introduction of baby kits, I'd imagine.

Edited by potty trained

I liked the first joma home top. It was reminiscent of the late 80s and early 90s strips so suited me great. It was let down by the yellow patch on the back.

The sponsor space was down to MacB and no fault can be laid at Joma or TTL's door.

On the plus side, it had a nice collar, black shoulders and striped sleeves. All big pluses. Added to that, the long sleeve has thick black cuffs. Very vintage.

The latest home strip? I don't like it at all. However it could have been recovered with black sleeves. It's just too yellow. However it's worth noting that TTL listened to the number patch and sponsor space logo issues and addressed both.

It's interesting that the TTL version of the club badge is a much better quality in detail, compared to the one greaves made. The greaves made badge is blurry. TTL use the same badge maker that makes Chelsea and real madrids badges amongst others. However, the TTL badge is tiny in comparison to the Greaves version.

When I was asked to get involved with TTL I submitted 3 home and 3 away top designs. The home tops were similar to the 60s hoop top and other vertical striped tops. Simple in design, thick hoop or stripe.

The away tops were white. One similar to the black puma away top, one like dumbarton's top, replacing their black with red, the other was white with black shoulders & sleeves, with a red/yellow/red stripe from the armpit to the hem.

What I did do was remove the circle from the badge and enlarge the thistle, like the 60s or 70s badge, but a hairy baw sack version.

I've got them saved on my dads hard drive and will try and post them this weekend.

For reference I'm not involved in helping TTL these days. The last input I had was them making us a tartan scarf, which I pestered them from day 1 about.

PT, when you say you were involved, why did they not take you up on your options?

I find it quite strange that manufacturers or suppliers choose not to confer with fans or fan groups when picking new kit. Surely it is quite a simple thing to do and would more than likely generate a bit more cash for all if a popular choice.

For what it's worth, I would love to see a Dumbarton style away top as you suggest. I am a fan of white away tops as well.

TTL really wanted to do a 71 throw back, but that was mostly to do with it being easier to make as red and yellow is difficult to dye side by side, as the bleed and run into each other.

Likewise thick stripes, that I've also suggested, have been met with objection as it's difficult to make kids versions that replicate the adult version. Hence the thinner stripe and introduction of baby kits, I'd imagine.

That's all depressing.

Let's just have an all white strip. That should be the cheapest and they can punt us for £50 a pop.

PT, when you say you were involved, why did they not take you up on your options?

I find it quite strange that manufacturers or suppliers choose not to confer with fans or fan groups when picking new kit. Surely it is quite a simple thing to do and would more than likely generate a bit more cash for all if a popular choice.

For what it's worth, I would love to see a Dumbarton style away top as you suggest. I am a fan of white away tops as well.

I was introduced to them after I approached the club. I asked if I could be involved in the design of the casual wear.

I let them see my strip designs just to keep communication up, let them see what would be popular, and to try and get something sensible, not just as a top, but as a complete strip, due to the previous three seasons kits.

I think the first effort was spot on. TTL and Joma had not been made aware that they could use a full striped back.m, something that St Mirren had resolved by pushing for red numbers to allow their kit to have a full striped back.

The sponsor square, I'm here and there about. It detracts from the top, but the back is worse.

If those two issue had been resolved before release, it would have had the hallmarks of a classic. I saw it about 3 weeks before it was released and was very impressed. I still like it and wear it regularly to 5s. It's a great fit.

I'm happy with my input on the casual range, I was strict on having red and yellow track tops. TTL suggested stuff that was unrelated to our colours. Loads of other clubs do it, like Chelsea. But I was sick of the Airdrie stuff we'd had. That red Trackie top with the yellow shoulder is a belter. Far better quality than an Adidas Firebird track top I have. Right down to the puller on the zip. It's kept its colour and shape brilliantly.

I can't fault what TTL bring to the table as a service. I think they've been good for the club, joma whilst not well known in the UK are one of the biggest manufacturers in the world. We are getting that quality. Anyone harking back to the Puma days should take a look at the dross they've been churning out for the last couple of seasons. Next Rangers top is an embarrassment in terms of quality. One of the most appalling football strips you will see, I don't think they have quality control in the factory and Puma should be taking the licence off whoever makes them.

St Mirren had a lad design their strips a couple of years in a row. Their cup winning top was all him, the year after he tried to influence, but JD took the power away from him and started introducing their luminous colour into their kit. Their cup winning strip is regarded by their fan base as one of their best ever and was completely fan designed.

I think a Dumbarton style with a thick yellow band to fit the sponsor logo with a thinner red hoop above and below. Red collar and cuffs. White shorts with a red and yellow thin stripe down each side. White socks with a single red and yellow thin hoop, like the recent black puma socks. Black badge and numbers.

• Like 1

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Partick_Thistle/Partick_Thistle.htm

Quite interesting link this - as a 70s child had always associated us more with stripes than hoops though history shows converse was much more common and stripes only really appeared in mid 70s

Personally much prefer (broader) stripes - in terms of research for next season even that basic question should help inform design (ie stripes v hoops) as to which will be most commercially attractive.

As for away strip .... you can't beat all white - early/mid 80s umbro white strip with red trim my all time favourite

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Partick_Thistle/Partick_Thistle.htm

Quite interesting link this - as a 70s child had always associated us more with stripes than hoops though history shows converse was much more common and stripes only really appeared in mid 70s

Personally much prefer (broader) stripes - in terms of research for next season even that basic question should help inform design (ie stripes v hoops) as to which will be most commercially attractive.

As for away strip .... you can't beat all white - early/mid 80s umbro white strip with red trim my all time favourite

The hoops v striped thing I had some influence on. My reason for stripes being, we hadn't had them since we'd last been in the SPL, a generation hadn't had a striped strip.

Puma had brought out a few hooped ones so their name was associated with hoops. Especially with the first one being so good! To make a name for Joma and to give the fans something completely new, stripes was the obvious choice.

Where puma fell down was in the shorts and socks. The vuvuzela strip would have been great with black shorts. Why red shorts, especially with black socks.

The championship strip should have been red shorts and socks. I think we wore it like that once.

Was literally just about to say that. You can see how badly fitted they were when you look at the picture of Ricky Little and Gary Harkins modelling it.

I love the Fort Lauderdale Strikers effort. One of the better Joma kits, and a great design for us.

2012-Strikers-Jersey.jpg

Agreed. Those would be perfect for us.