2015/16 Season Transfer Thread

When a good player leaves a club you often find mixed reviews no matter how good he's been.

Exactly, been a fair few bad comments towards Higgy, O'Donnell and Fox (although in his case it's probably just). Often fans say players won't be missed.

Excited to see this guy and hope he signs. Pace is all you need in this league.

Johnny MacKenzie, surely?

i am old enough to remember the great johnny mac - undeniably the greatest of them all; but i would describe him as 'world class' rather than 'mercurial'. as i recall, he was consistently brilliant rather than possessed of a flaky talent. when scotland played hungary at hampden in '53 ferenc puskas said of johnny's display: 'i have never seen seen wing play of such a high standard...'

Regardless of the reviews, which as said can be deceiving (if I really wanted I could say negatives about just about everyone in the squad and therefore have mixed reviews), he has a goal in almost every 4 games from the wing which is impressive. Added that he'll presumably be getting assists and we could have a really good player on our hands.

Right back and a covering defender is the most important now: we have Doolan plus the options of Elliot or Stevenson up front - while latter two not ideal, it would be enough to start the season with (with the window still open for a few weeks) but to start without a right back would be very bad.

I don't know where people are getting 4 more signings from, especially when Archie said quality over quantity this season. Whats the point in having talented youngsters if we would rather bring in journeymen rather than use them? 2 more signings - a starting right-back and an experienced forward (Taylor or someone else) and Lindsay is your versatile defender while Wilson is an additional midfielder. Hopefully there are also additional youngsters who can stake a claim if we were hit badly by injury.

I don't know where people are getting 4 more signings from, especially when Archie said quality over quantity this season. Whats the point in having talented youngsters if we would rather bring in journeymen rather than use them? 2 more signings - a starting right-back and an experienced forward (Taylor or someone else) and Lindsay is your versatile defender while Wilson is an additional midfielder. Hopefully there are also additional youngsters who can stake a claim if we were hit badly by injury.

Well said.

Arguably the best team performance last season was our 2-2 draw vs Dundee United at Firhill. That team was decimated by injury and the young players who played that afternoon were outstanding. It also proved our existing players are versatile enough to be played out of position.

• Like 1

Agree with this. Some people play too much Football Manager. There's no point in developing a youth system if we just sign 5 or 6 players every summer and don't allow the young ones the chance to step up. Not saying we shouldn't be signing players, of course, but we don't need that many and Lindsay, Wilson, McDaid et al deserve a shot.

• Like 1

My estimate at the end of the season was that we would need a goalkeeper, a right-back and a wide attacking player in addition to Booth and Taylor hopefully signing permanently. With three of them already in the bag, I maintain that I'd be very happy with that business. I didn't factor in Craigen leaving so we may be in the market for a bit of experienced cover in midfield* which would allow Wilson to leave for some much needed game time at a lower level.

*although if Welsh comes through pre-season unscathed, he'll be like a new signing and another arrival won't be required.

Edited by Armand2

I think we've got to be happy with the business done by Archie so far. Amoo has a better pedigree than Higgy did before he signed so there's no reason why we can't expect him to do well. Getting Booth tied up is a great bit of business and I would say that Cerny replacing Fox looks like an upgrade in that position.

• Like 2

I think bradley Wickham is up here as a trialist for the right back position or he may have even signed. I think he played for the Under 21 Wales team on a couple of occasions

Jumping the gun as we've had our fair share of trialists that looked good on paper but flopped miserably but I wouldn't imagine a young lad would travel so far to just impress at U20 level. If he gets a deal you'd think he'd be squad material. An U20 who is ready to step up would also compliment what Archie said about trimming the squad but increasing the quality.

I am including Welsh in this we have lost 9 players all but one (Finnie) played for the first team last season. Replacing them with just 4 signings will probably see us relagated.

I would be stunned if Archie left himself with only Hendry and Lindsey as centre back cover. He will sign a right back and a centre back both with some experence.