John Beaton

Beaton is an abomination of a referee. Some of his decisions are indicative of a guy who has little experience of actually playing football; he gives fouls for the most innocuous of challenges, the type of collisions and tackles that are simply part and parcel of a contact sport. Eremenko conned him all afternoon, from going down under minimal contact from Bannigan (whilst he was repeatedly swinging an arm in his face, may I add) to the absolutely blatant dive for the third goal. As for the altercation between Magennis and Hamill, had that been two opposing players, a red card would have been flashed. The fact he was looking straight at it and took no action whatsoever yet was happy to enforce other "Rules of Play" for the slightest breach was reflective of the sheer ineptitude of his performance on Saturday.

I've no complaints about getting beaten - irrelevant of whether the fouls were merited or not, we have to defend those situations better - but what rankles is the fact the referee's (inaccurate) decisions have had such a bearing on the result.

• Like 1

But then Nevin also thought Craig Thomson was right in giving Muirhead a yellow card for handling the ball behind the line at Inverness's first goal! Nonsensical decision given the ball was dead.

The ball doesn't have to be in play for a yellow or red card to be awarded (you can be sent off for actions after the final whistle, for example).

Personally, I see no difference between trying to illegally stop a goal with your hand, but only succeeding in palming it into the net (clear yellow card and a goal), or illegally trying to stop a goal but only deflecting it after it crosses the line (according to you, no yellow card). As I understand it, the yellow card is for deliberately attempting to cheat.

That said, I also think it strange that the rule at present (yellow card if the ball goes in anyway, red card if not) seems to determine whether you should be sent off based on your (illegal) goalkeeping ability, but there you go!

• Like 1

What have you got against Pat Nevin Gaz? The Oscar Wilde of football pundits; erm, witty and urbane!

P.S. Is this what you youngsters call a guy crush?

He quite often talks sense, he quite often talks sh1te, but he always talks about it in a really annoying manner.

And the Cappuccino comment the wee dick made about Thistle fans at the Dunfermline cup tie years ago.

And the way he used to beat four players out on the wing for Scotland and still manage not to get a cross in.

And his hair

And his face.

• Like 2

He quite often talks sense, he quite often talks sh1te, but he always talks about it in a really annoying manner.

And the Cappuccino comment the wee dick made about Thistle fans at the Dunfermline cup tie years ago.

And the way he used to beat four players out on the wing for Scotland and still manage not to get a cross in.

And his hair

And his face.

Proof that you'd like to wake up beside him... he's your favourite wet dream!

And his hair

And his face.

Remember Gaz: When you go to sleep tonight, dream of Pat and your dreams will be all the sweeter!

If Maggenis had been sent off and we went on to win and McDonald hadn't been sent off for Motherwell and they had held on for the win

Killie and Well would be on the same number of points in play off spot.

Referees influence games shock!

Motherwell & Killie both got penalties at 0-0 hat shouldn't have been given :rolleyes:

I thought these sort of retrospective judgments only came about when the incident wasn't seen by the referee.

I think it's when it's not dealt with by the ref. in this case, he saw it but failed to take action.

Which raises another issue. Surely Beaton should be sanctioned in some way because by a retrospective ban, the SFA are clearly saying that he failed miserably in not dealing with it.

• Like 1

I think it's when it's not dealt with by the ref. in this case, he saw it but failed to take action.

Which raises another issue. Surely Beaton should be sanctioned in some way because by a retrospective ban, the SFA are clearly saying that he failed miserably in not dealing with it.

My point I was making albeit in my usual sarky tone. Has there been any action taken against Beaton? No, if you believe the Hibs v Sevco game on Saturday is the most significant game being played at the weekend.