Promotion-Winning Game Vs. Forfar At Firhill

Jaggernaut

Thanks for this. How well I remember that day- no finger nails left. Great to see the stadium so packed. Forfar had no fans so 10000 thistle fans. I remember the team was pretty weak that day with injuries to farningham and a few others. The first half reminded me jus5 what a great player Paul kinniard was. Stv adverts were great- whatever did happen to Texas tiles?

I was there but my friend Graham Kennedy was taking seriously ill as the game progressed- raving incoherently about Marxism. We all went on the pitch but he ended up in a coma in the RAH and died a few years later

Good guy. Maybe some of you knew him. He stayed in Moorpark, Renfrew.

Had never seen this and my memories were not that we were so dominant, but that I'd watched the 2nd half through my hands in nervous horror. Interesting to see the standard of play - most of these guys were probably better than what the spl now has to offer, although no particular stand outs. A great day - esp if your thistle-supporting life had involved almost exclusive mince up until that point -Lamont, Rooney, Johnstone, etc.

Great to see Firhill packed with celebrating Thistle fans. I remember what a tense game that was...particularly as the previous Saturday we had managed to lose at Firhill to Meadowbank.

We weren't the most subtle of football teams - get it up the park - sling in a cross. My recollection is that the team we had the previous season with Charnley, David Elliot, John Buckley and John Flood was better to watch. The promotion winning sides of 2002 and 2012 had better players and were far stronger teams.

And classic Scotsport editing. I really wanted to see the penalty incident. I don't think Forfar had got the ball into our box in the entire game then that heart-stopping moment with seconds to go when a long ball reached their striker 10 yards out...I looked in horror as it was a great chance...he miscontolled the ball...Jim Duffy rushed in and seemed to knock him over...but the referee no doubt aware of the Thistle fans who were already over the boundary walls and at the side of the pitch waved play on.

That's how I remember it but one of the most dramatic moments in Firhill history didn't survive the Scotsport Director's cut.

Well done to Jaggernaut for yet another great find

Well done Jaggernaut and to the Jags fan on YouTube who has taken the trouble to post this up. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

This is the priceless preservation of Thistle history right here. If anyone else has any old VHS it'd be pure dead brilliant if you could get them up on YouTube.

Badger's "goal" at Hampden '79 anyone? Ha-ha, that'd be the ultimate, but seriously, any old duff games would be welcome...

Well done Jaggernaut and to the Jags fan on YouTube who has taken the trouble to post this up. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2:

This is the priceless preservation of Thistle history right here. If anyone else has any old VHS it'd be pure dead brilliant if you could get them up on YouTube.

Badger's "goal" at Hampden '79 anyone? Ha-ha, that'd be the ultimate, but seriously, any old duff games would be welcome...

I think there was a dispute at the time and there was no TV footage of either the Semi-Final, including the replay, or the Final which went to a second replay. Unfortunately there won't be any footage to show how many yards onside Bobby Houston was.

However, I'm hoping Jaggernaut may come up with some previously unknown clip.

Great to see Firhill packed with celebrating Thistle fans. I remember what a tense game that was...particularly as the previous Saturday we had managed to lose at Firhill to Meadowbank.

We weren't the most subtle of football teams - get it up the park - sling in a cross. My recollection is that the team we had the previous season with Charnley, David Elliot, John Buckley and John Flood was better to watch. The promotion winning sides of 2002 and 2012 had better players and were far stronger teams.

And classic Scotsport editing. I really wanted to see the penalty incident. I don't think Forfar had got the ball into our box in the entire game then that heart-stopping moment with seconds to go when a long ball reached their striker 10 yards out...I looked in horror as it was a great chance...he miscontolled the ball...Jim Duffy rushed in and seemed to knock him over...but the referee no doubt aware of the Thistle fans who were already over the boundary walls and at the side of the pitch waved play on.

That's how I remember it but one of the most dramatic moments in Firhill history didn't survive the Scotsport Director's cut.

Well done to Jaggernaut for yet another great find

Thanks. I was wondering if old age had affected my brain and there was another league-final game against Forfar with that penalty incident.

Well done Jaggernaut and to the Jags fan on YouTube who has taken the trouble to post this up. :thumbsup2: :thumbsup2: This is the priceless preservation of Thistle history right here. If anyone else has any old VHS it'd be pure dead brilliant if you could get them up on YouTube. Badger's "goal" at Hampden '79 anyone? Ha-ha, that'd be the ultimate, but seriously, any old duff games would be welcome...

Sadly I think there is zero chance of that, as I clearly remember there was a strike by tv technicians that night, so no coverage.

For me the ultimate would be the 3-2 win against defunctco in the opening league game of 71-72, with Johnny Gibson destroying them time after time. But I don't think that there were tv cameras there either.

I'm also guessing that the videotapes of the League Cup Final were wiped long ago, but in the extended version that is kicking around every goal gets shown from another angle and it looks like it was shot not on video but in 16 mm or something like that. Now if THOSE entire reels emerged one day.......!

My memory of that game was the ball going into the net. Thistle celebrating, then ages later the linesman's flag belatedly going up.

Also beer cans full of pish getting thrown at us from the old North Stand- c***s

One of my best days ever following the Jags.

Ended up the wrong side of the fence in the shed as the queues outside for our end were horrendous. Like others have said my memory is of the game being a nail biting affair and so nervous throughout. Ended up on the pitch but looking back at that wall from the shed.......how high was that.

Pub crawl from the star to munns and finally The Tavern which was jumping. Ended up in our local pub which was a Celtic one singing "lets all laugh at Celtic" as they had failed to qualify for Europe that day.

I was only 21 and this was my first serious celebration as a Jags fan and by god did I make the most of it :fan::partyhat::crazy:

Thanks for posting Jaggernaut, really enjoyed watching that.

A few things stood out for me:

• The size of the crowd. Just off 10,000 v Forfar, who would have brought a hundred fans maximum.. Couldn't see that happening now.
  • What a great strip that was. Although growing up with striped jerseys, I usually prefer the hooped tops, purely for tradition. However, that strip was a cracker.
  • The midfield. Jesus wept. We must have had a few injuries and suspensions that day if we were playing Graeme Robertson and Bobby Law in there. Were Irons and Farningham not with us that season? Sammy Johnston carrying a knee injury as well.
  • Mark McWalter (shudders). Did he actually score a goal for us?
  • Paul Kinnaird. Oh to have somebody pumping in crosses all day like Kinnaird did. Could teach Higgy a thing or two. And wee Stevie would have a pal for the bookies.
  • The pitchy. Brilliant.

I'll never forget that last couple of minutes of that game where people were banging the advertising hoardings, waiting for the full time whistle. The noise was incredible.However, like Chicofan, I did forget we went up on goal difference, and it was close too.

I must agree with Winter of '63 though. Although that team won us promotion back to the top flight, I preferred watching the team from the season before.

It was great day for the club though and what a great night after it as well. Anyone got a photo of the statue in George Square?

Long time lurker.... it was me....I admit it. I posted the video on YouTube. I have a VHS (thanks Brian) of games from the following season that I'll upload when I get the chance.

I've had problems with my account otherwise I would have posted sooner