Scott Fox

Jagsman

He is as good as most of the other keepers in the Premiership and given we have one of the lowest wage structures, he obviously could do better financially than Thistle. He is a decent keeper. When was the last time we had one with no flaws. Not even Roughie was flawless and he got 50+ caps.

• Like 1

Fox is a great stopper but his positioning at times is criminal. At his age it's not gonna be learned now. Being a squad goalkeeper can't be great fun for him I'm sure but he might have to drop a division to get a guaranteed game every week. I can't get the sight off Scully at Hampden v Queens Park out of my head when I nearly chewed my nails off in fear every time he came into action. He will have to have improved drastically if he is gonna take the role on. Who knows, maybe Paul Gallagher will be like his dad and play for another 100 years!!

Fox is a great stopper but his positioning at times is criminal. At his age it's not gonna be learned now. Being a squad goalkeeper can't be great fun for him I'm sure but he might have to drop a division to get a guaranteed game every week. I can't get the sight off Scully at Hampden v Queens Park out of my head when I nearly chewed my nails off in fear every time he came into action. He will have to have improved drastically if he is gonna take the role on. Who knows, maybe Paul Gallagher will be like his dad and play for another 100 years!!

Badly let down by the defending in that game and a couple of screamers from QP if I recall. This wasn't his only game for us and he kept a few clean sheet before heading out on loan. I would start with him, PG and Waters and if needs must we can get someone in January.

Sometimes players just want a fresh challenge, like many of us do in our daily jobs, I'd put him in this camp along with Conrad, SOD & to a lesser extent Higgy... All 4 have been good servants for the club and feel the need for a fresh move, fair enough, we have to remember they have a relatively short career and so have a limited time window to experience as much as they can. Whilst we will be sad to see them leave we can only wish them well...they will probably end up at Hearts / Hibs / Dundee Utd, if not a lower end English side - good for them if they feel a move can give them something different, actually quite like Fox being so blunt and expressing some ambition to break into the national team - even if I think he is well short of that standard....

We also have to trust the manager to replace these guys over the summer - SOD probably being the hardest to replace given the attacking dimension he brings...Archie is doing a great job and on recent history gets his signings right more often than not so I am sure he will have players in mind.

He sees himself as a future Scotland keeper, but has to play in big games in front of big crowds to make that dream a reality. We're limiting his ambitions.

Haha - does he, now? Well, there's nothing wrong with strong self-belief but I think Scott could also do with backing that up by, say, 500 hours spent practicing catching crosses, and another 500 hours stopping shots at his own near post, because currently he is quite poor at both of those things.

He's done OK for us, but like others on here, I'm not bothered at all that he's away.

• Like 2

Sometimes players just want a fresh challenge, like many of us do in our daily jobs, I'd put him in this camp along with Conrad, SOD & to a lesser extent Higgy... All 4 have been good servants for the club and feel the need for a fresh move, fair enough, we have to remember they have a relatively short career and so have a limited time window to experience as much as they can. Whilst we will be sad to see them leave we can only wish them well...they will probably end up at Hearts / Hibs / Dundee Utd, if not a lower end English side - good for them if they feel a move can give them something different, actually quite like Fox being so blunt and expressing some ambition to break into the national team - even if I think he is well short of that standard....

We also have to trust the manager to replace these guys over the summer - SOD probably being the hardest to replace given the attacking dimension he brings...Archie is doing a great job and on recent history gets his signings right more often than not so I am sure he will have players in mind.

Agree re SOD but I think Christie Elliot is a shoe in for right back next season. Has the engine to get up and down the wing for 90 minutes

Fox is this season's Paul Paton.

Looking very much that way. Tho' I tend to give goalies a bit more latitude maybe because football is less of a team game for them.

Difficult goalie to assess. For long periods he made some excellent quick reaction saves from close in but was prone to misjudging speculative shots from distance. Tends to play well when the defence is playing with confidence but when reversed he's been just as guilty as those immediately in front of him. Suggests he's not the most inspirational of keepers and I've never thought of Scott as one of the more vocal/dominant type of keeper.

Still over the piece Fox has been one our better goalies and I doubt it's coincidence that the period he's been with us has been a time year on year of increased success.

He's utterly delusional if he thinks he'll be getting back into the Scotland team. He's absolutely nowhere near the level of Marshall, McGregor or Gordon... Or even Matt gilks for ****s sake. And clearly Scott Bain is seen as a future Scotland keeper going by his recent call up. If he'd said he wants to move to a bigger club to challenge for honours or something reasonable like that then fine, but getting in the Scotland squad is fantasy land stuff for Foxy.

A decent enough keeper, but nothing more, and utterly replaceable, perhaps from within in the form of young Scully?

Agree re SOD but I think Christie Elliot is a shoe in for right back next season. Has the engine to get up and down the wing for 90 minutes

Elliot is a terrific servant to our club and will give 100% effort and concentration wherever he is played but he is just not a full back. He can do a job there to cover injuries and suspensions but we need a genuine right back. In our team his best position is on the wing where his work rate helps defensively while his pace makes him useful in attack.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Elliot is a terrific servant to our club and will give 100% effort and concentration wherever he is played but he is just not a full back. He can do a job there to cover injuries and suspensions but we need a genuine right back. In our team his best position is on the wing where his work rate helps defensively while his pace makes him useful in attack.

Which is what Archie had him doing on Saturday, in a 3-5-2

But we might not be able to get hold of an attacking right back with both pace and stamina. In that respect Christie is the closest thing to SOD. In theory picking up a right sided full back with those attributes should be easier than getting a left sided one but look at the problems posed when ATS left.

I still share your opinion re Christie and agree despite his versatility his default position is wide midfield.

I have to commend Fox’s ambition in wanting to move to a higher club or South of the border…especially when I think he is an average keeper at this level.

Obviously his lack of games in the middle of the season has contributed to his decision to leave. But those games proved that a goalkeeper eight years his senior was a much more dependable choice between the sticks. Fox was such an instrumental player in our promotion season, but the step up into the SPL really highlighted his poor cross gathering and distribution, although I do think he is one of the finest shot stoppers in the league.

Next season may be one year too early for Scully, but I would like to see us develop these young players. Gallacher is starting to get on a bit now, and I’m not sure how many years he has left in him.

I think it is a strange decision from Fox. Most teams in the SPFL have decent keepers already so if he did move to a Dundee Utd, he would have to battle for the no.1 spot and if he doesnt get it he could end up being on the bench for most of the season. That isnt exactly going to help his chances for Scotland. If he were to move to England could only see him going to League 1 certainly not Championship standard. He is no way near the standard of Gordon, Marshall and McGregor.

I hope Scully gets his chance and earns himself a wee Scotland call up for a laugh. I dont believe when it comes to keepers the gap is that huge through the divisions and certainly not when you are winning player of the year at a club like the pars, albeit they are pretty poor this last year.

I would be happy to go with Scully and Gal for the time being. Could always get a loan deal in January if it isnt working.