Charles Kennedy Rip

Blackpool Jags

Just heard of this earlier today, as most of us will have done.

All political differences aside - and there were fewer than I had been aware of, as it turns out - a man of principle. A dreadfully young age to die at.

I will remember him as an opponent of the Iraq war, prosecuted by the despot and arch Thatcherite, Blair. I will now also remember him as the lone dissenting voice within his party against the call to join the Tories in a coalition government in 2010.

A proud Scot, RIP Charles Kennedy.

• Like 3

after pmqs today, the house paid tribute to charlie kennedy ..... the fulsome praise from all party leaders and other mps who spoke in the session was incredible. right now i cannot recall, or even think of any other politicians, who in years gone by, have received such universal acclaim and unified love and utmost respect from all parties.

apparently his ten year old son, donald, was in the gallery above the chamber with his mum, watching the entire session. it's well known how much ck doted on his son, and while the boy is young, to be able to hear today (and rewatch when he is older and understand the illness his dad had) what his colleagues and opponents thought of his dad, will hopefully be of some comfort and inspiration to him both now and in the future, for a boy who has lost his father way too soon.

• Like 2

I watched the House of Commons tributes and the speeches were impressive. It shows that outside the negativity there are very good politicians out there. Like the leaders public Question Time prog of the 3 main party leaders my cynicism was replaced with genuine respect ignoring any political views.

All respect to CK but I'm not sure I agree with you - if politicians are capable of such decency when no party political points are to be scored, it makes me think less of them that they find it so easy to drop this at other times and go with misleading the electorate, yah-boohing at Q time rather than having proper discussions and the various sleazy things a lot of them get up to (a lot, not all as there are a minority who deserve some respect).

Hope that's not inappropriate to say in this thread but could see where else to answer. CK of course would come into that minority who deserve respect if he was still alive.

Edited by Mr Bunny