Nothing to say that this "blood disorder" is anything serious. Maybe it takes him 10 or 20% longer to recover. That really wouldn't be a big deal. It may have very little to do with his lack of action over the past few seasons, and that really is just down to bad luck with injuries.

But what do I know? No' much. Good luck to him.

I've never been convinced by the portrayal of Welsh as 'injury prone'. Most of his absences have been due to unrelated impact injuries caused by bad challenges. Hopefully he's had his share of bad luck and will enjoy an injury free season. He's a class player when fit and on form.

I know a few doctors. Sometimes they talk nonsense.

Sean Welsh at full fitness really would be a selection headache in the middle of the park, in the best way.

Well even a nonsense talking doctor knows how to treat a headache.

I agree that having Banzo, Fraser, Abdul and Sean all on full fitness and all playing at their best would be very difficult to make a selection. Even more so if we went three at the back. Wilson hardly deserves to be an also ran either. In practice centre mid players are more prone to suspensions and, as we know too well, more likely to pick up knocks or more serious injuries. So it could be we start off with that selection headache but as the season progresses we'll be glad of the cover. Just hope that if anyone gets an injury it's not Sean.

Sorry but how can you possibly say the guy isn't injury prone? I like him as a player and really do hope he can get back playing regularly - but surely it is not up for debate that the guy is injury prone?

Can't disagree, though I do at times feel it is his style of play that makes him injury prone. He's great at protecting the ball, but if a clumsy challenge comes in while you're protecting the ball you'll often come off badly. He was generally moving the ball around quickly against Eastleigh, which is the best way to avoid that.

Sorry but how can you possibly say the guy isn't injury prone? I like him as a player and really do hope he can get back playing regularly - but surely it is not up for debate that the guy is injury prone?

I think there's a difference between being prone to injury and being extremely unlucky. Welsh's time on the treatment table was largely due to unrelated impact injuries, no? If so, it could happen to anyone and the term 'injury prone' may not be entirely accurate.

• Like 1

It hasn't just been his time with us that Welsh has been troubled; many Hibs fans maintain that he would have the breakthrough there, had it not been for a list of injuries as long as your arm. Think his spell with Stirling Albion was cut short because of injury too.

I'd say it's absolutely fair to say he has been injury prone but hopefully that's behind him now.

Tend not to take much notice of pre season performances- especially after Gerry Collins era where the team he built dismantled all in front of them & we know how that ended!!

Looking good & coming through unscathed in bounce games all well & good but I'd still be reluctant to give him anything other than a pay as you play deal this season.

His injury record over the years would suggest anything else too big a risk when finances tight.

Tend not to take much notice of pre season performances- especially after Gerry Collins era where the team he built dismantled all in front of them & we know how that ended!!

Looking good & coming through unscathed in bounce games all well & good but I'd still be reluctant to give him anything other than a pay as you play deal this season.

His injury record over the years would suggest anything else too big a risk when finances tight.

Disagree. We either extend the lad's contract or we release him.

I know next to nothing about "pay as you play" agreements except I'm sure they're rare at our wage bands. I can see it being appropriate for higher paid players heading towards the end of their careers like Best all those years ago at Hibs. Certainly don't think it befitting to expect a player who I assume is on a relatively low wage to work under that uncertainty.

Disagree. We either extend the lad's contract or we release him.

I know next to nothing about "pay as you play" agreements except I'm sure they're rare at our wage bands. I can see it being appropriate for higher paid players heading towards the end of their careers like Best all those years ago at Hibs. Certainly don't think it befitting to expect a player who I assume is on a relatively low wage to work under that uncertainty.

I'm a bit out the loop so if someone wants to correct me please do.

My understanding of a pay as you play is a basic wage with more emphasis put on the appearance fee.

Get what you're saying but if he (& the manager) are confident he's fully fit then I'd imagine he'll start most games.

Too big a risk for me, with the club's finances suggested as being poor, to give a wage for a player who, with his career injury record, could break down again on 1st September.

No disrespect to Sean but do you honestly think there will be another full time club will offer him anything better?

I'm a bit out the loop so if someone wants to correct me please do.

My understanding of a pay as you play is a basic wage with more emphasis put on the appearance fee.

Get what you're saying but if he (& the manager) are confident he's fully fit then I'd imagine he'll start most games.

Too big a risk for me, with the club's finances suggested as being poor, to give a wage for a player who, with his career injury record, could break down again on 1st September.

No disrespect to Sean but do you honestly think there will be another full time club will offer him anything better?

I wouldn't know for certain but I would think so.. If he was a free agent on Sept 1st and fit to play then I could see him being offered a contract elsewhere, albeit probably on short term. My point tho' is I think it rather demeaning to ask a player to work under what would be something like the equivalent of a zero hours contract.

I wouldn't know for certain but I would think so.. If he was a free agent on Sept 1st and fit to play then I could see him being offered a contract elsewhere, albeit probably on short term. My point tho' is I think it rather demeaning to ask a player to work under what would be something like the equivalent of a zero hours contract.

Fair comment.

So come 1st September & for arguement sakes he's gone 4 consecutive competitive games without injury, Thistle should offer him...

I still can't see a top flight or Championship club taking a chance on giving him even a year contract given his career injury record.