Game Against Wigan

gerrybritton9

am i alone in thinking that christie elliott could be a more than adequate replacement for sod?

You certainly are not Rob. I have said it countless times. Before Miller was signed I was certain Christie would start at right back. Not so sure now, but he is great cover at both full back positions

I thought we played quite well last night, especially in the first half.

Sean Welsh oozes class and can see things that no other player in our team does. Some great little link ups with Lawless and Banzo and was unlucky not to score I believe (toilet break). He does dwell on the ball sometimes though, which obviously brings its own problems. I saw it mentioned on the other thread that he invites the challenge and I have to agree. Really hoping he can get through pre season and earn a new deal. Osman was quieter than he was on Saturday but I think that was mainly due to the fact we were more on the front foot for the majority of the game.

Hendry was pretty solid again but let's not get too carried away. Still very young and I thought he could have done better in a couple of occasions, including the Wigan goal. I do like the look of him though, it's good to see he has a turn of pace which a lot of guys his size don't.

I thought Elliott looked good at right back but I'm still not convinced with Booth defensively. His timing in the air is poor, he is hesitant and gets caught the wrong side a lot. He got caught either challenging for balls he shouldn't have, or taking too long to challenge for balls he should have at least five or six times last night. He is OK going forward but he worries me at times defending.

Interesting way we set up again last night, trying to accommodate Welsh in a midfield three, rather than having two holding and a Stevenson or Lawless type playing in behind Doolan. It certainly means we get more of the ball and keep possession but it does isolate Doolan. I don't think any of our central midfielders, Wilson and Fraser included, are suited to playing as far forward as Lawless or Stevenson are and when either of those to play that role it definitely looks more like a 4-2-3-1 rather than a 4-5-1.

Amoo hasn't shown anything the two times I have seen him so far. Have no idea of his fitness levels so far too early to criticise but hoping he can improve quickly, not long to go now.

I don't know if Wigan are behind us in the terms of pre season training but I wasn't too impressed. I think Rotherham will be a lot tougher opposition on Saturday.

• Like 1

Just put together some notes on the Wigan game – just my opinions and we know that everyone has one! Hopefully they are helpful for Nomads or anyone not at the game. I sit quite close to the pitch so I can see things and hear some of the player chat.

1 Cerny – Solid keeper who dominated his area. Very left footed

2 Elliot – Clearly not a natural RB but a star performer. He kept disciplined to his task and not a single player got past him. The Wigan number 17 was asked to literally run the line and Christie was never out smarted by him. Even in the diagonal cross balls.

3 Booth – solid player and got clattered in the second half – glad he got up!

4 Osman – the man is a mountain. Plays with a smile on his face but you just wouldn’t mess

5 Hendry – my man of the match. He looks like he’s in third year at school but was quick, brave and confident. He bossed the defence and I heard him moving Christie at a throw in – “Christie! Half and half!” with a hand gesture. Not easy to do that as a young lad but it seemed natural. He is a good player

6 Frans – looked class and elegant

7 Amoo – looked up for it but never really got started

8 Banzo – his movement bossed the midfield but he also barks the instructions. Superb

9 Doolan – as always, an unsung hero. He is so tough, clever and hard that nothing phases him. Class act but has no help at all.

10 Welsh – good game was good to see. He seemed a bit petulant at times with some comments

11 Lawless – A tiny man but a class act. In the 2nd half, he and Booth both left the ball to each other and no one went to it. Fans went nuts but I noticed that Lawless then got the ball and took on three strong challenges before giving it to Booth. Lawless is a tough guy who can take a tough tackle

14 Miller. Solid player who seemed older and wiser. Good asset

15 Wilson – I have no idea what position he was playing in

16 Leyden – didn’t have time to shine

17 Fraser – same as Leyden

19 Stevenson – good to see him back. He will get better. Class act

21 Nisbet – had one half chance but didn’t really have the time to show what he has.

I thought it was a good performance by a good team. It is good to see a genuine team with a real work ethic and obvious unity – not easy to achieve

My only sadness was thinking back to when we won the old First division. We had SOD and Sincy dancing up the wings – we just don’t have that anymore. Mind you, that might be because in the Premiership we have to be more defensive and counter attacking – as is the modern game.

Got to give Archie credit. We don't look out of place at this level.

I noticed at the game that the Kingsley advert banners had other versions of his big coupon

http://nebula.wsimg.com/00120282b670bf86c7197693a017b2ea?AccessKeyId=604EB5B515A9DE59E6FE&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

The one third from the right is very scary!

Visit the website, it is a weird place: http://www.kingscap.co.uk/

It seems that Kingsley is all that exists on their business??

Edited by gerrybritton9

I noticed at the game that the Kingsley advert banners had other versions of his big coupon

http://nebula.wsimg....0&alloworigin=1

The one third from the right is very scary!

Visit the website, it is a weird place: http://www.kingscap.co.uk/

It seems that Kingsley is all that exists on their business??

http://www.kingsford-capital.com/
  • Like 1