Celtic 09/08/15 Match Thread

potty trained

Depressing to see the north stand almost empty. But then again, our record against them must be about the worst of any team in the SPFL, ever; we haven't even scored against them of late.

Nor do we look likely to score with the way we've been set out by Archie. I was worried about them getting so much space down their left flank (Miller's area) and being allowed too much space and time just in front of our penalty box, but their goal was a peach, though it could just so easily have gone anywhere.

Can't fault anybody; the two young central defenders looking actually classy (though a few stray passes by Hendry).

Might as well go for it now. Bring on the Doolmeister!

Too many thistle players are standing off them too much. Banzo for example has only made one challenge, rest of time he appears to be operating in a 5 yard exclusion zone.

Wilson off pace, Ref giving us absolutely nothing unsurprisingly.

Jags support rather muted even before goal.

Need to up the energy and passion on and off the park for second half.

We can get something from this. Couple of player changes and a more in their face attitude from players and fans alike.

Get intae them!!!!

Penalty for me. Deliberate or not, his hand prevented the ball going across the goalmouth thus preventing a possible attempt on goal.

Would have been inserting if the incident had occurred in thistle penalty area.

This in spades. Osman got done twice at Firhill last season for non-deliberate handball in the box.

Penalty for me. Deliberate or not, his hand prevented the ball going across the goalmouth thus preventing a possible attempt on goal.

Would have been inserting if the incident had occurred in thistle penalty area.

i think we know the outcome there...

straight after ball goes out on the touchline yet ref then gives a foul to them...no doubt celtic get the benefit from refs...osman booking? never.

glad craigen is on the bt show - def pen for him!

Ah well c'est la vie! To be truthful we've never really been in this game, the phrase men against boys seems apposite!

Twenty losses in a row against them in all competitions tells its own story, I'm afraid.

Although there were some real positives (central defenders, Osman, Pogba) it's the fact the we don't threaten in these games that is the hardest thing to take.

Stonewall penalty: the defender's arm was in anything but "a natural position" once he'd landed his foot on the way down, whereupon he immediately raised it. Nevertheless, a flawless display from Beaton who fully merited his MotM accolade for the Tims. How much further shame can one individual bring upon himself doing the job he's paid to do?

Fans of clubs other than the septic siblings need to coalesce in a campaign to rid Scotland of the pollution fronted by eg Beaton and Collum. Their 'performances' are beyond horrific on a consistent basis and must be bordering on arrestable.

Back to the football: I, like others, thought "WTF" when I saw the line up. But, I have to say that, imo, we look sturdy enough to withstand the rigours of any dogfight we might find ourselves in.

Monni Thistle.

Had the team that finished the game been fit enough to start the game I think we could have had something from that. Middle to front was horrible in first half, I think Archie just needs to accept that Stevenson shouldn't be up there as a lone striker, especially when some mobility is required.

Encouraged by Pogba, he'll rag doll some of the defenders in this league. On the whole the two young defenders were composed and will benefit from that experience.

Next please.

• Like 1

That penalty shout was so Stonewall I'm amazed there wasn't a gay pride march following the referee for the rest of the game.

No disguising this was a poor performance and Celtic were barely out of first gear all game. The two centre halves looked like rabbits in the headlights, Osman was slow as a week in jail for the first hour, Wilson looked like he had concussion in no man's land and the decision to start up-front with Stevenson and only really to have Lawless in behind him was terrible. Millar is slower than a week at Ibrox and offers no out-ball going forward, undermining our ability to attack as our out-ball always used to be through O'Donnell.

The bright spots were Sean Welsh, who is like a new signing and was delightfully quick on his feet at times and pinged some good passes, and Pogba who caused some real problems towards the end with his strength.

Leaving aside the limited options in defence I felt Archie's line-up was poorly thought out today. Stevenson offers nothing up front on his own and Lawless can't be expected to do the job of two wingers. Having both Pogba and Doolan on the bench was mental and his starting lineup was what you'd expect us to play the last 20 minutes with to try to hold out for a point. There are no circumstances bar injuries that would lead to that bench properly changing the game. We should have started with Pogba or Doolan up-front and had Stevenson beside Lawless with Welsh sitting in front of Bannigan and Osman.

We haven't got the players for our quite established system to work properly any more and I'm worried we don't have a plan B. If Celtic had really gone for it today it could have been 5 or 6.