Just In , Killie

angry gaz

to sum that up in a sentence. If you dont take your chances you dont win games.

Should have been all over after 30 mins , some of our best football for a long time but at 1-0 we missed a few and it came back to haunt us.

The injury , or should I say assault , to Lawless I felt changed the game , we were never quite the same threat after he went off. The refereeing in this league is an effing joke.

The sending off for Lindsay was a long time coming and to be honest the management should have sorted things out at the back long before.Killie obviously had targeted him with the long ball to Magennis who bullied him throughout. It's a learning process for Liam but really something should have been changed at the back way before then. Killie are p1sh, long ball to their forwards and they took a point from us. They bullied us and we can't let that happen.

To have taken the lead with ten men then still drop points is gutting. A higgy cross to a Boyd header, should have bet on it.

The defending for both goals was sh1te, so much good play and effort ruined by slackness.

Plenty of positives but we have to be more professional.

Edited by angry gaz
  • Like 2

• Members

The first Killie goal in particular was bad. Not only did we fail to stop them taking a quick free kick, but even after the ball was hit, our defenders ran out with their hands in the air, stopped and looked at the linesman and only then tried to get back. Way too late.

You are definitely right about the refereeing. At least 3 Killie players should have been sent off :- Smith for his constant 2 footer tackles and Magennis and Higginbotham for their use of arms/elbows into faces. Also, would need to see it again but was their free kick leading up to the goal taken from the right place. However, having said that, having dominated for 35 mins and not taken 5 or 6 really decent chances, we seemed to go into a shell for the next 40 or so until Lindsay got sent off. You always knew Boyd would score.

• Members

A word of praise for Gary Fraser today as well. Been criticised for his attitude lately, but after Lindsay went off, he worked really hard on the right of midfield and chased back constantly to support Gary Millar (who probably had his best game in A Jags shirt so far today).

• Like 4

Gotta agree that g millar had an excellent game. I think in the first half he was a little hesitant to push forward as he hasn't got great pace to get back and defend however the second half he was excellent at defending and pushing down the wing and his final ball was decent. Booth didn't have a great game for me and lost possession numerous times and also struggled to get back but to be fair amoo needs to provide more cover for him. He left booth completely isolated the whole second half. I thought Archie should have taken amoo off instead of Stevo after the red as amoo was struggling to hold the ball up.

First time I've seen amoo and not that impressed, seems lacklustre in effort and runs with his head down that's just an initial impression. Hopefully he improves from today.

Thought the ref had a very poor second half, some shocking tackles going unpunished and some soft ones given. Lee mcculloch seems to having an influence already it would seem. Bully boy tactics.

Dissapointed in higgy also, from applauding the fans at the start his behaviour in the second half was typically higgy. Petchulent and smarmy, I guess the same qualities that we loved about him when he played for us. He did have a very good game unfortunately, I'm just glad he didn't manage to get on the scoresheet.

Funny how a game can change from a flukey save, before that we were playing some great stuff.

Edited by kennymac29

Thought it was a cracking game today, but ultimately one we should have won in the first 35 minutes. Disappointed to see Lindsay and Frans get rag dolled by Maggenis. He appears to do it in every game against us. We played some fantastic stuff in the first 35 minutes and Kris Doolan was magnificent. No real complaints about the team today, other than switching off at that free kick. We have some real toughies coming up but we have already shown that we are going to be a difficult team to beat. Anyone know why Abs wasn't anywhere to be seen today?

Some games you play so badly, you can't complain about been beaten, other games are so even that a draw is a fair score. But today is the closest thing to highway robbery I've seen since Dick Turpin stared for Leyton Orient! Christ that felt like a defeat especially to ldraw not just to them but with that fat bar steward Boyd getting the equaliser! It's no exaggeration to say that the first 40 minutes or so represented the best football we'velayed since maybe Ross County away a couple of seasons ago, unfortunately we failed to capitalise on our performance and frankly 4 or 5-0 would not have overstated our dominance.

Like previous posters I think the (unpunished) assault on Lawless by Smith represented the turning in the game as we did u dominate to the same extent thereafter. Conceded a soft equaliser and I've no real complaints about the sending off. Down to naivety as much as anything else. One could perhaps point the figure at Archie & Co. for not making a change when it was obvious Killie were going to play in their usual agricultural approach! Apart from that they were once again mince. The depressing thing is once again they've taken a point from Firhill, when we should have left them empty handed!

Och in 40 years supporting the Thistle you'd think that I'd be used to it by know- sadly I'm not, it still hurtš!

Still on the plus side you've got our first half display, Doolan ������, the irritating shown by ten men again and I genuinely don't fear going to Tynecastle next week-hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the backside this time next week!

Oh and surprise surprise the referee was once again shockingly poor and I forgot to mention that our full backs were fine.

Some games you play so badly, you can't complain about been beaten, other games are so even that a draw is a fair score. But today is the closest thing to highway robbery I've seen since Dick Turpin stared for Leyton Orient! Christ that felt like a defeat especially to ldraw not just to them but with that fat bar steward Boyd getting the equaliser! It's no exaggeration to say that the first 40 minutes or so represented the best football we'velayed since maybe Ross County away a couple of seasons ago, unfortunately we failed to capitalise on our performance and frankly 4 or 5-0 would not have overstated our dominance.

Like previous posters I think the (unpunished) assault on Lawless by Smith represented the turning in the game as we did u dominate to the same extent thereafter. Conceded a soft equaliser and I've no real complaints about the sending off. Down to naivety as much as anything else. One could perhaps point the figure at Archie & Co. for not making a change when it was obvious Killie were going to play in their usual agricultural approach! Apart from that they were once again mince. The depressing thing is once again they've taken a point from Firhill, when we should have left them empty handed!

Och in 40 years supporting the Thistle you'd think that I'd be used to it by know- sadly I'm not, it still hurtš!

Still on the plus side you've got our first half display, Doolan ������, the irritating shown by ten men again and I genuinely don't fear going to Tynecastle next week-hope that doesn't come back to bite me on the backside this time next week!

Edited by stillresigned

Terrific performance. Much improved.

Lindsay (and Hendry) will have moments like that along the way. Archie, Craigen and ATS all did as well when they were young.

Finishing was both fantastic and terrible.

Cerny is the signing of the decade so far.

Just typical Thistle today! Lapped it up.

Stevie smith cynically crocks lawless from behind after he's released the ball, then two foot lunge in the far corner 2nd half.

Compare that to the bookings we get, and frans red.

And then theres higgys two elbows, plus semi elbow/hand smash in front of the JHS.

Dire decisions as usual.

• Like 1

Really mixed emotions leaving Firhill today after the first 35mins we should have been at least 3 up.But after we went down to 10 men thought we would lose.3 games now against teams who we could be competing with.Nothing in it .Lets hope we can pick up some surprise results in the next few weeks.

Haven't seen any coverage but I thought the ball was rolling when they took the free kick leading up to their first goal. Maybe it's just sour grapes/wishful thinking. I don't need to see any re runs to know that Higginbotham shouldn't have been on the park and thus Boyd wouldn't have had a cross to score from.

Be interesting to see if the compliance fella will be involved. Suppose it requires the ref saying he didn't see the flying elbow. Seems only a couple of years ago when challenges like that were virtually automatic reds the world over. Our esteemed ex Jag managed three today.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the game. Obviously a bit gutted at how it played out. However, should convince any armchair conniseurs of the game that don't turn up for games v old firm or moan about us playing 1 up front or can be better entertained at the cinema, ice hockey or taking the kids to the play park, that tis team can be brawsome to watch.

Make no mistake, killie caused us problems, obviously. But it was our boys that made it a game worth paying into.

I'm of the 22quid is a bit steep for your regular Joe to fork out, but yesterday I had no complaints that it was value for money.

North stand boys deserve a mention too. Fanatstic backing for the team... proud of them as much as the team yesterday.

I ain't gonna play the pundit, go watch the highlights.

Suffice it to say, left the promised land with mixed emotions but looking forward to the next challenge with some confidence that we might be all right this season. ... Archie... seriously... my mrs .... just say the word.... Dools can have a go too!

:fan:

• Like 1

What a great performance in first half, one of the most one sided half hours I have seen for some time. Can anyone remember a Kilmarnock player touching the ball in our last third the first 30 minutes?

Really disappointed we couldn't capitalise on our dominance though, anyone who saw the game knows we should have been out of sight by half time.

The first Killie goal was bad to lose. After Lindsay committed a 'good' foul to take the sting out of the Kilmarnock breakaway, someone should have stood on the ball to prevent just what happened. The second one was also avoidable, Boyd losing Doolan to get in a free header. We go two or three up when we should have though and that doesn't happen.

Some really pleasing performances throughout the team. Both full backs played well, Miller having his best game so far. Not sure if he is as slow as some are suggesting? Banzo and Welsh were also good, Osman being out allowed Stevenson to come in and we looked like more of a threat going forward. Lawless was playing well until he was assaulted but Amoo still hasn't impressed me yet. Doolan's two finishes were exquisite and he was unlucky hitting the post in the first half. As other have mentioned his first touch is fantastic and he never stops working.

Disappointed with Lindsay. Silly, silly mistake that probably cost us all three points. Had the opportunity to play the ball back to Cerny and tried to be too cute. He then doesn't have to make the challenge to get sent off, the player would still have had to beat the keeper. Got dominated by Magennis, as did Frans again.

As well as Doolan, I think special praise has to go to our new goalkeeper. I have total confidence in this guy, his handling looks superb. Never put a foot wrong, had no chance at the two goals (although the guy in front of me seemed to manage to blame him for the first) and his save in the first half was top drawer.

Another woeful refereeing performance. Who are these people? Steven Smith put in shocking challenges on Stevenson, Lawless and Miller (I think) and the three challenges resulted in one foul and no bookings. Higgy's elbow on Booth was a bad one but from where I was sitting it looked like the ref didn't see it. I hope not anyway. However, surely the linesman can see it? I despair with the standard of officials we get, it is so frustrating.

It was an entertaining game. We did very well to go in to the lead with ten men and I really thought we were going to do pull it off but it was not to be.Really sad that there were not more people there to see it.

Finally a word on Kilmarnock - HONKING.

• Like 1

• Members

I did see one elbow from Higgy on Calum and how the officials never saw it I'll never know! They also managed to miss another one in the first half were Lindsay was looking set to beat Magennis to the ball in the air until magennis stuck his hand in Liam's face and pushed him away. Fair enough if the ref never seen it but it was about 10 yards away from the assistant who was closer than anyone else in the stadium to it!

The one thing I would give the ref credit for was how quickly he let the players back ion the park after treatment and made a mockery of Beaton's claim last week about not letting Steveo back on because there was blood when he let Liam back on after sending him to the side for treatment to a cut.

Very entertaining game yesterday and one that we should have taken the 3 points from.

Miller, Banzo, Booth, Cerny all had good games. I thought Doolan was outstanding and fully deserved his man of the match, his movement caused Killie problems all game. Got to be said though he should have scored more.

Had Seaborne started the game I believe we would have came away with the 3 points. He made a difference when he came on.

Lindsay is a top prospect but he hesitated at his sending off. Don’t let a guy like Magennis a chance to outmuscle you. He will learn from this game though.

Frans has to take some responsibility to organise the back line better when he is playing next to Lindsay or Hendry. He needs to be more vocal. I sit in the Jackie husband stand and I could hear Seaborne shout “hold the ******* line!”

Killie seemed to have only one tactic – chip the ball into space and hope Magennis can outhustle the two defenders. Killie definitely targeted Lindsay.

Killie first goal was a bit of a disaster for our defence – defenders need to be more aware at situations like this.

Also Boyd goal Doolan is marking him! Got to have either Frans or Seaborne on him. There is no better player in Scotland at heading from cross balls than Boyd.

One of the problems for us yesterday was the absence of Abdul – for me Welsh has to sit deeper. We let Killie win too many second balls for their long ball tactics. Osman if fit needs to start next week.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 2

Very entertaining game yesterday and one that we should have taken the 3 points from.

Miller, Banzo, Booth, Cerny all had good games. I thought Doolan was outstanding and fully deserved his man of the match, his movement caused Killie problems all game. Got to be said though he should have scored more.

Had Seaborne started the game I believe we would have came away with the 3 points. He made a difference when he came on.

Lindsay is a top prospect but he hesitated at his sending off. Don’t let a guy like Magennis a chance to outmuscle you. He will learn from this game though.

Frans has to take some responsibility to organise the back line better when he is playing next to Lindsay or Hendry. He needs to be more vocal. I sit in the Jackie husband stand and I could hear Seaborne shout “hold the ******* line!”

Killie seemed to have only one tactic – chip the ball into space and hope Magennis can outhustle the two defenders. Killie definitely targeted Lindsay.

Killie first goal was a bit of a disaster for our defence – defenders need to be more aware at situations like this.

Also Boyd goal Doolan is marking him! Got to have either Frans or Seaborne on him. There is no better player in Scotland at heading from cross balls than Boyd.

One of the problems for us yesterday was the absence of Abdul – for me Welsh has to sit deeper. We let Killie win too many second balls for their long ball tactics. Osman if fit needs to start next week.

Agree with all of that Alan, except the last paragraph. Was our best performance of the four games we have played and Osman wasn't in the team. I think it would be unfair to take either Banzo or Welsh out of there. Osman has great defensive attributes but playing two instead of three in there allowed us to be more attacking.

I am very interested to see what Archie does with his selection next week though.

I can't help think that if we play more of this season the way we started yesterdays game we will see a rise in attendance figures. Some great football played by us and although I was gutted at the final whistle I can look back and say at least I got some good entertainment for my cash. Keep it up Jags the wins will come.

Higgys elbow was a disgrace, I take it he will be punished retrospectively as it was deliberate, dangerous and nowhere near the ball. It will be good to see some consistent actions by officials after games. I'm not sure if the club need to complain or if they just view the incident and think WTF, how is he still on the park?

My confidence in Scottish football might be misplaced tho. Also it's a real shame higgy turned out to be like that, I always thought of him as a footballer.

Higgys elbow was a disgrace, I take it he will be punished retrospectively as it was deliberate, dangerous and nowhere near the ball. It will be good to see some consistent actions by officials after games. I'm not sure if the club need to complain or if they just view the incident and think WTF, how is he still on the park?

My confidence in Scottish football might be misplaced tho. Also it's a real shame higgy turned out to be like that, I always thought of him as a footballer.

Not part of the BBC online highlights so doubt it will be mentioned on Sportscene.