Book Thread

nickthejag

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 2/16/2019 at 9:11 PM, KennyOHenry said:

Guys, what books do you prefer to buy? E-books or paper ones? I'm in the team of paper for sure! But sometimes it's hard to get them. Especially rare ones. In Atlanta zip code there is lack of antiquarian bookstores and hence only in such cases, I read e-books. p.s. My last read book was Spartacus by Raffaello Giovagnoli.

I've bought many old hardbacks and paperbacks through abebooks.com

Never had a problem with them.

• 1 year later...

Make no apologies for Clive Cussler. Started reading back around 1981-82. Dirk Pitt, was there nothing that man of steel couldn't do,  bought almost every book since. gutted to recently find out Clive died in February.............scunner. 

Oh, if you would like some highbrow stuff, of mice and men. the saddest book ever. 

2 hours ago, sabbath said:

Make no apologies for Clive Cussler. Started reading back around 1981-82. Dirk Pitt, was there nothing that man of steel couldn't do,  bought almost every book since. gutted to recently find out Clive died in February.............scunner. 

Oh, if you would like some highbrow stuff, of mice and men. the saddest book ever. 

Of Mice and Men is indeed sad, but superbly written. Steinbeck was a master.

• 2 weeks later...

Steinbeck was a very good writer, and much as I did enjoy "Of Mice and Men", I preferred his slightly better known book, "The Grapes of Wrath".  Very hard hitting on the American dream.

Another really good American writer of that period was Irwin Shaw.  He was also a playwright.   He was also very good at short stories, and his "Five Decades" book of short stories is excellent. I'm not too sure whether or not it is still available as a paperback, but it is included in a collection of Shaw's work on Kindle ebooks.

I should say that I'm not in any way involved with Amazon, and I'm not trying to promote them at all!!

7 hours ago, East Kent Jag II said:

Steinbeck was a very good writer, and much as I did enjoy "Of Mice and Men", I preferred his slightly better known book, "The Grapes of Wrath".  Very hard hitting on the American dream.

Another really good American writer of that period was Irwin Shaw.  He was also a playwright.   He was also very good at short stories, and his "Five Decades" book of short stories is excellent. I'm not too sure whether or not it is still available as a paperback, but it is included in a collection of Shaw's work on Kindle ebooks.

I should say that I'm not in any way involved with Amazon, and I'm not trying to promote them at all!!

Thanks for the reminder: I'd like to re-read "The Grapes of Wrath," as I've pretty much forgotten it all since I first enjoyed it,  many decades ago.

With a short attention span, I'm a fan of short stories, so I'll look into Irwin Shaw. 

As I live in Japan it was natural that I eventually got around to Haruki Murakami. He's a superb writer, and his short stories are sometimes bizarre, always intriguing. One of his full-length novels is on my list for later this summer.

17 hours ago, Jaggernaut said:

Thanks for the reminder: I'd like to re-read "The Grapes of Wrath," as I've pretty much forgotten it all since I first enjoyed it,  many decades ago.

With a short attention span, I'm a fan of short stories, so I'll look into Irwin Shaw. 

As I live in Japan it was natural that I eventually got around to Haruki Murakami. He's a superb writer, and his short stories are sometimes bizarre, always intriguing. One of his full-length novels is on my list for later this summer.

I'd never heard of Haruki Murakami, but I'm always open to new authors.  I'm reading several books at the moment, but when lockdown started here in March, I started to use Kent County Council's library app more getting e books.  , They have quite a choice of Murakami's books.  Norwegian Wood,; 1Q84  1,2 and 3; Kafka on the Shore; The Elephant vanishes; A Wild Sheep Chase ;Dance Dance Dance;South of the Border, West of the Sun among others!  He seems quite a prolific writer!!

I'll chose one probably some time next week, and try it out.   I'll let you know what I think.

ps  Did you teeshirt from Bowen Boys finally clear shipping and Customs, or does some Japanese official swan round his local bar, with a new Teeshirt!?

On 7/11/2020 at 1:33 AM, East Kent Jag II said:

ps  Did you teeshirt from Bowen Boys finally clear shipping and Customs, or does some Japanese official swan round his local bar, with a new Teeshirt!?

One of the two that I ordered has managed to sneak through. I'm waiting to see whether the other package will make it....... 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Wow, is it really over two and a half years since anybody posted here?!

Well, last year I started reading Mark Fleming's Confessions of a Football Chaplain, before I kind of forgot about it (actually because it wasn't really capturing my attention). But then last week I picked it up again, and started from where I'd left off, and read one or two chapters each day. I must admit that I ended up really enjoying it, and learned a hell of a lot about the the roles and training involved in that kind of work. And of course as the author was the Jags chaplain for years (being a fan), he managed to get many ex-players to agree to various personal stories being made public.

The book is both serious and humorous, easy to read, and each chapter is short enough so that it's easy to put it down at the end of one story or topic. 

Definitely recommended.

Oh, and my copy is "Printed in Japan," and even has a line or two of Japanese words inside the back cover. Maybe that makes it a collectors' item!