Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

Looks like Aberdeen may make an offer for brannigan

Given its likely to be a token I'd probably knock it back

Agreed. At the very least, get a clause for further payment when he gets capped, sold on etc.

I hope though that he and his agent know that he can do better than Aberdeen, and would be better off staying at Firhill until that better destination comes calling.

Agreed. At the very least, get a clause for further payment when he gets capped, sold on etc.

I hope though that he and his agent know that he can do better than Aberdeen, and would be better off staying at Firhill until that better destination comes calling.

I love this line.

Has there been a player move on, who it hasn't been suggested he should stay with us another season to wait for a better offer?

The fact is, footballers careers are short and the length of them can be effected by one reckless challenge. They need to live in the here and now.

A move to Aberdeen could see him win major silverware this season, why would you not make the move!

Aberdeen bought Kenny McLean from St Mirren for 250k(?) during the winter break. With Archie & McInness being mates, I don't think we would be short changed by Aberdeen. I would hope it would be done quickly to allow us time to spend this month. If the board allow it.

I love this line.

Has there been a player move on, who it hasn't been suggested he should stay with us another season to wait for a better offer?

The fact is, footballers careers are short and the length of them can be effected by one reckless challenge. They need to live in the here and now.

A move to Aberdeen could see him win major silverware this season, why would you not make the move!

Aberdeen bought Kenny McLean from St Mirren for 250k(?) during the winter break. With Archie & McInness being mates, I don't think we would be short changed by Aberdeen. I would hope it would be done quickly to allow us time to spend this month. If the board allow it.

Well, you might well be right in much of what you write, but at the very least I would challenge your "wouldn't be short-changed by Aberdeen" hope. What do you think Bannigan is worth? Do you really think that Aberdeen will give us 250K for him? If SB agrees to go and we get that amount for him then I will in fact be grudgingly satisfied, but I suspect that Aberdeen will chance their arm with a much lower offer. Here's hoping that Maxi knows the 250K for McLean story (if that's accurate).

I would think the club will hold on to Bannigan until the end of the season. With all the positivity, debt free talk, pushing on in the league talk....it would be extremely counter productive to sell one of our star performers for a small fee at this point. It really could wreck morale in the team and the stands.

• Like 2

I would think the club will hold on to Bannigan until the end of the season. With all the positivity, debt free talk, pushing on in the league talk....it would be extremely counter productive to sell one of our star performers for a small fee at this point. It really could wreck morale in the team and the stands.

Dools clearly agrees with you.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/partick_thistle/14203900.Doolan_hoping_that_Thistle_can_hang_on_to_Bannigan/

Aberdeen would be a good move for him. A move to England, however, would be a better move for us. And possibly him. I'm of the opinion that we can't lose Bannigan mid-season and so the likeliest scenario is that he signs a pre-contract agreement.

It's now hugely important to get Osman signed up for next season. Not sure that will happen, but we need to try our best. Satisfactorily replacing both Osman and Bannigan in the summer will prove difficult (but not impossible).

In brighter news, Doolan must be seen as a certainty to extend his contract after that interview. I had little doubt anyway.

McLean moved to Aberdeen for between 250 and 300k. He had 18 months left on a new contract he'd signed that summer.

If he moves thus month, the fee will be based on discussions between Maxi and his counterpart at Aberdeen. Of course Aberdeen don't want to be throwing money about. But if Mcinness tells them he's worth 150k right now, Aberdeen might come in at 75k eventually settling at 100k with a sell on.

I'd take that.

Press & Journal:

McInnes is keen to agree a loan deal for Wigan midfielder Cowie following hamstring injuries to captain Ryan Jack and Willo Flood, who are both expected to be sidelined for four to six weeks.

The 32-year-old, capped 10 times by Scotland, has made only six appearances for the Latics this season.

McInnes said: “It wasn’t an area that would have been a priority. We don’t have the biggest squad and we are a bit light when we get injuries in the same area of the team.

“Normally we just have to get on with it but when the January window is open there is an opportunity to do something.

“We will look to see what is available, but it would be wrong to comment on any individual player.”

I really can't see Aberdeen offering the kind of fee in January that would make it worth our while selling him when they can get him for free at the season's end unless others are also bidding and they are really keen on him.

What did we knock back for O'Donnell last January? £90K? Personally I would be looking for around double that before I would consider punting him this month and only then if the deal is done now. The less time we have to find a replacement then the higher the fee required.

Edited by Tom Hosie
  • Like 1

What did we knock back for O'Donnell last January? £90K? Personally I would be looking for around double that before I would consider punting him this month and only then if the deal is done now. The less time we have to find a replacement then the higher the fee required.

We knocked back £30k, and think we accepted close to £100k.

He then turned them down, presumably on the basis that they were a basket case of a club. Surprised he then dropped to League Two in the summer though. I thought at the time that he turned Blackpool down because of the Celtic link that January.

Can't see us accepting anything less than £100k for Bannigan.

Edited by ThickAsThieves

We have a real chance of doing something this season with the way the team are playing. Whether that's finishing in the top 6 or going on a cup run.

Bannigan is probably our best player this season, the team is built around him. Take him out of that and I think we can say goodbye to this being a landmark season for the club. I'd go as far as saying that I would be extremely concerned about whether we could even stay out of the bottom 2 if we were to lose Bannigan at this stage of the season.

So I wouldn't sell Banzo in January under any circumstances.

People citing the Kenny McLean example should remember that any hope of St Mirren staying up that season vanished as soon as they sold McLean. So even if they did pocket £250k at the time, the financial cost of relegation was far greater than that. So it was ridiculously short sighted of them to sell their best player at that stage of the season, of that their can be no doubt.

• Like 1

People citing the Kenny McLean example should remember that any hope of St Mirren staying up that season vanished as soon as they sold McLean. So even if they did pocket £250k at the time, the financial cost of relegation was far greater than that. So it was ridiculously short sighted of them to sell their best player at that stage of the season, of that their can be no doubt.

Short sighted regards the team and the league they were playing in, yes. But they needed the money to survive until the end of the season. If they hadn't sold him, they were in a real financial mess.

Hold him until the summer, we aren't desperate for the cash. Think he is better than Aberdeen & spfl level, he needs to pick the right club down south and further his career there.

Hard being a Thistle man when this happens, always will be the case though, we need to try and ensure the weir academy conveyer belt starts throwing out some more quality and Archie can supplement with the gems that he finds to take the edge off losing guys like Banzo.

• Like 1

Think Aberdeen would be a great (and well deserved) move for Bannigan.

I wouldn't be too keen on losing him during this window though. As others have pointed out, St Mirren fatally suffered (on the pitch) from cashing in on McLean this time last year. Others may disagree but I don't think Bannigan is quite as integral to us as McLean was to St Mirren but nonetheless, I wouldn't want to lose him whilst we're still battling to stay out of the dogfight at the bottom.

If we were to cash in this month, rightly or wrongly, £100k is probably the maximum that we could get. Finishing positions in the league increase in £50k increments - is Bannigan's presence in the team going to see us finish two places higher than we would in his absence?

If my estimate above is undervalued and Aberdeen were willing to offer more to get him now, it would be a tough decision for Archie and the Board.