Any Juicy Rumours? Who Are We Hoping To Bring In?

jagfaelivi

Some people really do live in Teletubby Land, time to get back to reality folks. I am completely baffled by some of the gripes here.

3 players for every position? About as realistic as Dick Campbell taking over at Stamford Bridge, complete Twilight Zone stuff. When have we ever had that size of squad in the history of Partick Thistle? How many other teams in the league have that kind of cover? Celtic, maybe, and that's it. Aberdeen don't even have that big a squad.

So those criticising Partick Thistle for not having that size of squad obviously have very little knowledge of our club at all.

Left and right back are notoriously difficult positions to fill. We had two cracking young guys doing the jobs during our promotion season and we all kinda knew they'd be plundered at some point.

Archie and Shaggy have now replaced them with 3 dudes which fill their boots more than competently and it can be seriously argued bring improvements to the team with certain aspects of their respective games. Miller, Dumbuya and Booth have been terrific additions to the squad.

Further to Mustapha's 2018 extension announcement in December today's news of Calum's prolonged commitment to the Jags is very welcome news. Kudos is due to the gafffer and his team for their business nous in both these deals. Hope they might be able to use the same acumen to persuade Gary Firhill is the place to be.

Today the spotlight's on Calum. A player who has unquestionably fitted in ably to the team and grown in stature and confidence to make the shirt his own, and one that will take some fight to take from him. Well played Calum, keep it up.

Delighted and really quite impressed with the news coming from Firhill over the past couple of months.

Chin High, chist oot... We are Thistle!!! :fan:

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 2

Some people really do live in Teletubby Land, time to get back to reality folks. I am completely baffled by some of the gripes here.

3 players for every position? About as realistic as Dick Campbell taking over at Stamford Bridge, complete Twilight Zone stuff. When have we ever had that size of squad in the history of Partick Thistle? How many other teams in the league have that kind of cover? Celtic, maybe, and that's it. Aberdeen don't even have that big a squad.

So those criticising Partick Thistle for not having that size of squad obviously have very little knowledge of our club at all.

You haven't read my post properly. I've no criticism of the club. I know we have a restricted player budget. However, in, I think in key areas it is 'ideal' to have three solid options. The centre forward position would be one. Archie said quality over quantity this season and, I am quite happy, as ever, to trust his professional judgement on that.

You haven't read my post properly. I've no criticism of the club. I know we have a restricted player budget. However, in, I think in key areas it is 'ideal' to have three solid options. The centre forward position would be one. Archie said quality over quantity this season and, I am quite happy, as ever, to trust his professional judgement on that. ������

We have 3 center halls (Frans Seabiscuit and Lindsay)

3 goalkeepers

2 right backs

2 left backs (albeit Elliot is one and Banzo can cover)

5 center midfielders

3 forwards

We actually have plenty of cover

We have 3 center halls (Frans Seabiscuit and Lindsay)

3 goalkeepers

2 right backs

2 left backs (albeit Elliot is one and Banzo can cover)

5 center midfielders

3 forwards

We actually have plenty of cover

True. But I think it would be 'ideal' to have more than two solid option centre forwards and three centre backs covering two places. If money allowed, I think Archie would be thinking pretty much the same thing. I think Elliot as left back cover is fine. Banzo not so sure about. We do have 4 or 5 central midfield players but definitely lack defensive midfield cover.

True. But I think it would be 'ideal' to have more than two solid option centre forwards and three centre backs covering two places. If money allowed, I think Archie would be thinking pretty much the same thing. I think Elliot as left back cover is fine. Banzo not so sure about. We do have 4 or 5 central midfield players but definitely lack defensive midfield cover.

We only play one up front. So I think two centre forward/strikers are ample with a third, Kevin Nisbet, waiting in the wings. Nesbitt and German will join Amoo, Lawless and Elliott and I feel we should expect goals to come from that grouping.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I seem to remember the first team squad that Gerry and Derek had was huge (just to show squad size isn't everything) I might be wrong - I am sure others will correct me if I am - but that is the only time I can remember a squad that big.

If it's the top league squad then they inherited it from Gerry Collins. But you're right about a huge squad, Tommy. Unarguably a case of quantity over quality. I reckon only Grady, Rowser and Grant Murray were certain to start that season. Every other position was up for grabs each with about three contenders.

• Like 1

I seem to remember the first team squad that Gerry and Derek had was huge (just to show squad size isn't everything) I might be wrong - I am sure others will correct me if I am - but that is the only time I can remember a squad that big.

I've got a calender from that season. I'm sure there's 4 goalies in the team photo.

Grant Murray is my all time least favourite player. And, without doubt, our worst captain of all time. There can't be many players in the history of Scottish Football who have captained a team to back to back relegations.

Dreadful captain but he was one of our better players that first season tho' that's not saying much. How can a guy play worse the lower the league he played in? Weird.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1