Stevenson Away

Magyar55

Sadly a huge disappointment, obviously the Hearts spotted that as a professional his attitude and commitment was lacking. seems like a Scottish trait, do as little as possible don't work on areas you should be trying to improve on and pose about, oh and cover yourself with pointless tattoos. I wish him good fortune and all the best

Sometimes it just does not work at a club. There are countless examples of people who do nothing at one team and yet are stars elsewhere.

I honestly think there is "trying too hard". You do not need to tear about like a lunatic to be trying your best. He IS a good player for whom it has just not worked for whatever reason. Anytime I've heard him on the radio or tv he comes over really well.

And at the Dumbarton closed door match pre season I was standing near enough the group of players who were not on the park at the time and it was patently obvious he was getting on with the rest of the squad. A lot of laughter and kidding about and he was central to it.

Can't see how that has deteriorated to the point there is a rift n the relatively short time since. It has just not worked and Archie saw it the way most of us saw it. Both side cut their losses?

Best of luck Ryan. And thanks for the effort you put in at the Jags.

• Like 2

Not buying this whole "bad influence in the dressing room" nonsense. Folk whose noses are still out of joint from Tynecastle have seen an opportunity to vindicate themselves of the moronic behaviour exhibited since then.

It hasn't worked out for Stevenson here; even he wouldn't dispute that. But that hasn't been for a lack of effort and he's tried his best whenever he's pulled on the jersey. That's all I ask of a Thistle player and I wish him the best of luck, be it at Ayr or elsewhere.

• Like 4

What I do admire is his unequivocal love for Ayr United. I'm sure their fans will be looking forward to his return and I believe he will prove to be a great player for them. So I wish him all the best and perhaps envy Ayr fans for having a player who will be truly committed to the cause. Best of luck, Ryan.

Edited by The Sunnylaw Jag

His relationship with Archie broke down...after Tynecastle.

Doesn't mean to say he was a bad influence in the dressing room. Many players cited him as a positive influence. Not least, on their development as players.

One falling out they couldn't move on from?

Either way, it would seem his time with the club has come to an end.

One things for sure, many are trying to paint him as some sort of pantomime villain. It looks a tad immature and petty.

I remember his reaction to his first goals against Hamilton. He looked like the world had been lifted from his shoulders. I don't think he wasn't trying, I think he himself might look back on his time at thistle and say it was frustrating, but I still think that he was a decent player for us.

Edited by allyo

I have nothing personal against the guy and I don't know if there were tensions between him and the manager or not, but I do know that I'm not sorry to see the back of him. His contribution in his time with us was negligable and I honestly don't see that comment as petty or immature, just accurate. I was as delighted as most Thistle fans when he signed as it seemed to indicate the club was moving up a level in terms of ambition and aspiration, but the reality of Stevenson's performances with us was all too reminiscent of 'big name' players who signed in the past, usually at the end of their careers and often from the Old Firm, who simply went through the motions to pick up a salary. He was never a Thistle player: he was always just Ryan Stevenson.

• Like 2

To support my earlier post the general consensus amongst Ayr fans appear to indicate that Stevenson has fitness concerns. They thought he played OK during the first half on Saturday. McCall subbed him after 66 minutes. Scaling things up a couple of divisions and I'd suggest if he'd stayed with us he was some distance off getting a start and perhaps only considered fit enough as a third substitute (say playing no more than 15 minutes).

So even if everything was hunky dory between him and the manager one of our highest earners wasn't fit enough to play for us.

One things for sure, many are trying to paint him as some sort of pantomime villain. It looks a tad immature and petty.

It might do, yes. As immature and petty as refusing to celebrate a goal because you have an issue with the manager. That's not what I'd expect from a respected senior pro.

I still think Stevenson's problem stems from not being afforded the same level of adulation he experienced at other clubs. That's probably a result of him being past his prime, but you could also trace that to the way Archie's utilised him during his times at Firhill.

He looked red hot against Kilmarnock and Dundee at home, but Tynecastle, rightly or wrongly, marked the true turning point in his relationship with some sections of the support. And the manager.

What exactly did he do at Tynecastle? I wasn't at the game and have never heard exactly what it was.

The video was posted on here at the time...Stevenson gave a token wave to Thistle fans when he was substituted and enthusiastically applauded Hearts supporters in the three other sides of the stadium. Can't say it bothered me that much.

I never really took to Stevenson...my comment after our first game of last season when we thumped Ross County 4-0 was that he looked a bit of a square peg and not notably fit. That probably sums up his time at Firhill.

With Amoo, Pogba & Muirhead not showing much flair, I had hoped he might step up his game this season but while I am more than happy to hear the gossip about his departure, I am keener to find out if Archie has a game-changing player in the mould of Erskine or Higgy on his list for the January Transfer Window.

Has he been injured?

Otherwise it sums up the man's attitude to Thistle that he is only fit enough to play 65 minutes for a 3rd tier team.

Thistle fans stuck with him last season till he eventually played a few good games. Then quickly reverted to garbage and has been ever since.

I never EVER denigrate a jags player during the game and Over many years I can't think of many that did not give 100 p c. Perhaps Lee Hinds? I have always given Jags players complete backing and encouragement as the crowd can really help a player going through a bad spell. But I just watched Stevenson and thought he was taking the piss. Still didn't shout at him but muttered under my breath.

Glad he has gone and time to encourage 1 or 2 others who have struggled a bit on to greater feats- Amoo and Pogba- and appreciate those like Banzo and Booth who knock their pan in every week for the cause.

Think some of the comments above are very harsh on Stevenson. Whether he was worth what we were paying him is open to question but he played a big part in us staying up last year.

It's clear that he had fitness issues in his time here. What the reasons are for that is difficult to come to conclusions based on what information we have. He certainly did improve in the second half of last season.

He is a player who I have always liked and hope he does well for Ayr. They are a decent club and it would be good if McCall got them back into the championship.

Edited by Alan Murray
  • Like 2