Braehead Clan/north Stsnd

Veejag

I took in my first ever hockey game yesterday.

Although I found the music a bit loud and the whole "show" side of it a little over the top, I think there are quite a few things that clubs and fans could learn from the whole matchday experience.

It'd take someone more in the know than me (I quite like my wee seat at the City End of the JHS) but I think it'd be really interesting to see what some of the North Standers make of the atmosphere created at the Braehead Arena, and to see if PTFC could lift a few ideas from the stuff the Clan do off the ice that helps to make everyone have a good time.

For me, it was amazing to see over 3000 fans (hunners of families by the way) totally support a team. I know it's unrealistic to expect any of us to go through 90 minutes without getting annoyed at one of our players (Andy Ross. Hated that guy.) but their unconditional support for all of the team was pretty incredible, even when somebody made an arse of it.

All of that aside, I really recommend going. Great way to spend a couple of hours.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Got a season ticket at braehead. Great night out. Problem with the likes of firhill and nearly all stadiums is that they are naturally much bigger than an ice hockey arena and don't have a roof so sound doesn't echo.

The north stand singing in somewhere like braehead arena would be very loud.

I think the fact that braehead are one of the top teams in the league helps as well. Last year we missed out by one point and this year we are in a good position as well although it doesn't look like it by glancing at the table.

It's a 50/50 split at the hockey between male and female I believe and swearing is a big no no so very popular with parents taking children.

If you've never been give it a go

Braehead fans are great when their team's doing well, but they've been quick to turn when results aren't going their way. The Clan experience is not one I enjoy, the hockey takes place during breaks in entertainment, not the other way round. Far too much emphasis on giving away sombreros for Mexican restaurants distracting from the main event. The music is a bit too loud and the songs are absolute dross that is fit for a children's party, encouraging fans to put their hands up in the air instead of watching the game.

I'd much rather have a North Stand experience than a Braehead experience, even though at Braehead you can drink beer from your comfy seat indoors while watching the game. I'm not sure I could spend a whole season watching the Clan, whereas I wouldn't have problems with similar arena teams like Nottingham or Belfast who have the right blend of entertainment and attracting families while keeping the focus on the sport. pt12fc makes a great point about the roof. If you pack an old rink full of 3,000 fans they can make an incredible atmosphere and you don't need to play "the wheels on the bus" to encourage them. I've seen games in about fifty rinks in ten countries and Braehead is the only one I've found cringeworthy.

All that said, it's working. They've done a great job of attracting fans when there were huge doubts about hockey's viability in Glasgow at the outset. Hockey is a notoriously difficult sport to remain solvent in, especially in the UK and Neil Black and the Clan management are to be commended for a job well done, though other clubs in the league would love to have their levels of investment and facilities.

• Like 1

I really enjoy games at Braehead and there are definitely things we could learn / copy from them, however the dynamic is very different as previously mentioned - there's no real rivalry, no swearing, all family focussed, lots of stoppages etc... It also helps that the stadium is enclosed and always almost full. But as an event it is generally better than a Thistle game, probably helped by the fact that I care much less about the outcome.

Ive got two young daughters and cant get any of them to go to Firhill but they are always eager to see the Clan. If it's a big game the atmosphere is quite incredible and before and after there is far more mutual respect for opposition teams and supporters.

One thing however is the violence on the ice . some of the punch ups ive seen have been brutal. basically bare knuckle boxing but as an evening out for sports fans it is a great all round experience.

I remember a few seasons ago after a thursday night match in Braehead , great facility , can have a beer , warm , brilliant atmosphere, I was at Firhill on the Saturday in the JHS were the rain was Driving in , freezing, cold awful on the pitch, sh1te crowd and thinking for the first time that we had to move to Summer football or the game will die.

The bottom line is however , that fitbaw is better than ice hockey.

Its a family night out at the ice hockey and some of these young kids will be hooked on the game for life. Our kids go free policy is definitely a step in the right direction.

Edited by angry gaz

I try to like it, my brother is Canadian and is daft for it ffs, but it's just not my cup of tea. If I had a wean I'd maybe take them. Didn't like all the family friendly happy clappy stuff with the no swearing, constant music played during the game.

I haven't been to a clan game right enough, been to see the Eagles a good few times at the old Centrum and at Braehead. They like the Warriors seem to be rapidly growing though, so fair play to them.

Edited by Hankey

The OP has made a valid point that football clubs can pick up pointers from other sports (or from football in other countries).

One of the improvements I think could be made would be to follow rugby and insist that referees made consistent, unambiguous hand signals and whistle signals that would inform spectators as well as the players on the park. Surely we've all heard a whistle blown after a free kick has been given and not known if it's to stop the kick from being taken or to get it taken. It may be obvious to the players, who are closer at hand, but who's paying to watch this?

Viking tried to copy the "match day experience" that our local ice hockey team the oilers had, they installed big screens, players came out to fireworks and music, had piped music at various stages of the game, flashing lights and horns when goals were scored etc, it failed, footballs a different breed and the venues don't work for it.

I find the hockey false and as such boring

• Like 1

I'm sure there are a few things we could learn from them but my problem with the Warriors and the Clan is that the atmosphere is completely manufactured and false, as Norge has just said. The atmosphere at Firhill could be better but at least it's organic and driven by the fans instead of the announcer conducting the crowd like performing seals.

The most worrying thing about the Warriors and the Clan is that they are probably responsible for taking away business from us more than anyone else. I know loads of parents who prefer taking their kids to the Rugby or the Ice Hockey rather than Firhill. Price has a lot to do with it, as does the fact that they can get a pint if they fancy it.

I'm sure there are a few things we could learn from them but my problem with the Warriors and the Clan is that the atmosphere is completely manufactured and false, as Norge has just said. The atmosphere at Firhill could be better but at least it's organic and driven by the fans instead of the announcer conducting the crowd like performing seals.

The most worrying thing about the Warriors and the Clan is that they are probably responsible for taking away business from us more than anyone else. I know loads of parents who prefer taking their kids to the Rugby or the Ice Hockey rather than Firhill. Price has a lot to do with it, as does the fact that they can get a pint if they fancy it.

Price. It's £22 walk up or £20 with a fan card. Under 16's free. Price is very competitive.

Pint. If you're taking kids usually you are driving especially to Braehead so that's ruled out.

Atmosphere. This is the big one. The "pie and bovril" mentality dies not appeal to families or kids. It appeals to a minority but usually very vocal fans. Swearing and giving abuse to players turns a lot of people off. Scottish football is like a failing old mans pub. Regulars say it's great but it appeals to a minority. Then the pub is revamped and more family friendly. "It's no the same" they grumble but it's busier and takes in more money.

Football needs to learn from the Clan, Warriors and also from my experience rugby league in England and Australia and dare I say it MLS in USA.

Price. It's £22 walk up or £20 with a fan card. Under 16's free. Price is very competitive.

Pint. If you're taking kids usually you are driving especially to Braehead so that's ruled out.

Atmosphere. This is the big one. The "pie and bovril" mentality dies not appeal to families or kids. It appeals to a minority but usually very vocal fans. Swearing and giving abuse to players turns a lot of people off. Scottish football is like a failing old mans pub. Regulars say it's great but it appeals to a minority. Then the pub is revamped and more family friendly. "It's no the same" they grumble but it's busier and takes in more money.

Football needs to learn from the Clan, Warriors and also from my experience rugby league in England and Australia and dare I say it MLS in USA.

The Clan is working as its new and at Braehead plus they are winning, that atmosphere isn't conducive to open top (or open ended) stadiums

The warriors have smaller crowds since leaving Firhill except for the big games

Rugby league crowds (the big ones)are as rough as those at any Scottish ground and is classed as a working mans sport still in likes of Wigan, Hull etc, even Wales where Rugby booms have very small crowds for normal rugby

The MLS is so reliant on rich owners, sponsorship money etc we can't and shouldn't compare, a top league of 10 teams with no relegation pulling from a population of 350million people, and still can't fill the grounds, and they ensure they don't play when baseball or NFL clashes

• Like 1

I don't think people bother about things like swearing as such to any great extent.

What the Warriors and the Clan offer outwith the manufactured atmosphere is simple. Better catering, seats not broken or covered in pigeon shit, facilities that look like they regularly get a scrub.

• Like 1