Celtic / Rangers Fans

SussexJag

Geography prevents me going to many games but the Celtic game reminds me that, all in all, I always found journeys to Parkhead fine compared to going to Ibrox, which was always horrendous. I remember that even after a 5-1 defeat (maybe Ian Cameron got the consolation in about 1993) our away support got attacked by some very unpleasant people - around about the same time, we came away unscathed despite cuffing Celtic away.

Any views on whether the Celtic fans are less vile than Rangers'?

It goes without saying that I hate both clubs and all the cr-p that they stand for.

Geography prevents me going to many games but the Celtic game reminds me that, all in all, I always found journeys to Parkhead fine compared to going to Ibrox, which was always horrendous. I remember that even after a 5-1 defeat (maybe Ian Cameron got the consolation in about 1993) our away support got attacked by some very unpleasant people - around about the same time, we came away unscathed despite cuffing Celtic away.

Any views on whether the Celtic fans are less vile than Rangers'?

It goes without saying that I hate both clubs and all the cr-p that they stand for.

Undoubtably Rangers fans are worse. Ibrox is the only ground I leave hiding my scarf.

In the ground Celtic fans rarely react to us and usually it's in good humour, if a bit patronising. Rangers fans on the other hand are always quick with some sectarian bile and pure hatred against anyone who isn't part of the 'people'.

I remember being at Parkhead in 1992 at the legendary Geordie Shaw win. Celtic supporters coming away from the ground shaking our hands, saying we deserved it and wishing us well for the season.

Contrast that to Ibrox, last game of 94/95 season - the Alex Taylor 1-1, Andy Goram comeback game. Spat on by old ladies, pies thrown and sectarian abuse raining down etc at the party where the league trophy was presented to the orcs.

Although I would say both are as blinkered as the other in respect to each other, and the fans whose team is in the ascendancy at any particular moment are generally worse at that time.

despise rangers fans, even the decent ones (which include friends) as they have the 'superior' attitude that they think allows them to do as they please.

a sort of safety in numbers cowards approach to their treatment of people that don't share their views.

• Like 1

despise rangers fans, even the decent ones (which include friends) as they have the 'superior' attitude that they think allows them to do as they please.

a sort of safety in numbers cowards approach to their treatment of people that don't share their views.

Whereas the Celtic "everyone is against us" mentality means that we are just a nuisance.

Whereas the Celtic "everyone is against us" mentality means that we are just a nuisance.

My own experience is of sectarian bile outside Parkhead which, in any normal city, would have had the offenders lifted for threatening behaviour. No physical violence, though. By and large we have managed to avoid Ibrox in recent years, or been among large numbers of the good guys, but if anything they also believe the whole world is agin them too.

Both clubs have had ample opportunity to put their houses in order, but have failed. It is a scandal that the footballing authorities bend over backwards to let those two clubs suck the life out of football as an enjoyable spectacle. The more we see of these horrible clubs, the more often normal parents reject football as a spectator sport for their families - which is why the liquidation of the old Rangers led to a boost in the overall numbers watching Scottish football.

We've all had different experiences but in my opinion they are both as bad. I've been assaulted in maryhill road after a Celtic game, and also my car was covered in spit just because I had a mini Thistle strip in the back window the night we gubbed them at Hampden

Anyone who has any doubts about this just wait until the orcs get back to the top league (which will happen by hook or by crook - particluarly the latter).

If anything it will be worse than before as they have spent the last few years blaming anyone but themselves for thier predicament and gathering their bile to keep it warm and poisonous.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I dislike both in equal measure. So many unpalatable features present in both clubs.

If I was really pushed hard on the matter, I might be inclined to cite the ultra humongous chip on the shoulders of the blue cave dwellers since Rangers FC expired. The omnipresent WATP mantra induces a boak reaction within me that outdoes even their usual toxicity levels.

Text to wee Buhly who's heading to the corner shop for his staple 20 L&B and 2x 3 litres of strong cider: "Haw Buhl, gonnae get us a packet a tampons while your doon therr honey. WATP."

"Whit, ma giro only covers essentials ya selfish cow. WATP."

Groan.

In my experience both sets of fans (if that is the correct description) hate each other more than they like their own team. I play 5 side with 9 celtic supporters and they're psychopathic about rangers. I have never known a set of people to dislike another organisation like how they do. If I behaved in the same fashion about Clyde they'd get me sectioned. 10% of their 'football' chat is about Celtic the remaining 90% is about rangers. Thats no basis for being a football supporter. Whats more despite me wearing a jags top every week the claim I'm a closet rangers fan and I'm subjected to being called a H*n very regularly.

Both sets are not football supporters.

• Like 3

As clubs, they are two cheeks of the same arse in my opinion.

But my old man was of the green and white persuasion so I have spent more time amongst them than the other mob and found many of them to be decent people, although misguided in their choice of football team.

i have met a few sevco supporters that are decent people too.....but not many.

Sevco are considerably worse. I can't stand the religious crap of both but with Sevco it's a more bitter, scummy violent thing. Walking round Celtic Park yesterday before and after the match I had no worries at all in showing my colours, in fact I had a decent chat with random Celtic fans and it was exactly the way it should be. Celtic still play the victim, but I think Celtic are evolving quicker than their Govan counterparts.

• Like 1

I've been to both grounds as an away fan several times, and have never had any bother going to or from Parkhead.

Had trouble on 2 separate occasions leaving Ibrox, and was lucky to avoid being attacked on both of them. When we went there around 02/03 we got chased all the way to the Clyde by h*ns with glass bottles.

Remember standing in the subway queue after a defeat at Ibrox wearing my colours and a passing Sevco fan stopped to give me dogs abuse. After he had finished his rant and was obviously annoyed that I had smiled all the way through it, he left When I looked at the Sevco fans standing around me their embarrassment was all too clear.

• Like 1

I've been chased on two occasions and punched once (well, junkie-slapped...) all by Sevco fans when wearing Thistle colours. I don't think we'd actually played them on the days in question, it was just general Saturday night stuff but was clearly football related. Never had any problem with Celtic fans.

Both sets are clearly a bunch of jakes though.