Pitch Covers.

Jimmy McD

IF we know that we have a problem with an area of the pitch would it not be an idea to try and protect it from the elements i.e. cover over it ..The money the club has lost over postponed games recently must be staggering even going back to the selic new year game last season.I dont hold out much hope that Tuesdays game will go ahead..

Simply covering the pitch in tarpaulin won't really solve the problem. The water would merely sit on top and would spill on to the pitch anyway when the covers were removed. There's also the additional danger of the water freezing, resulting in the pitch covers being impossible to move. Now that really would be embarrassing.

You would need a tent-like marquee structure covering the whole playing surface. Similar to what they have at Wimbledon for the tennis. Only ours would need to be a hell of a lot bigger. Then there's the issue of how to erect something like this, it would probably take a team of guys to come in every week to put it up and take it down. Additionally, there's every chance that it could simply blow away in high winds, which we've definitely had recently. Then there's the issue of water running underneath that and on to the pitch anyway. We would need to put additional measures in to stop this and to stop water running down the bing on to the pitch as well. All in all, you are talking about a 6 figure sum to get this up and running and to maintain it year on year.

I don't see a way around it to be honest. I used to be dead against, but I am now firmly in favour of summer football as the way forward. The only problem I see with that is, how would the transition be managed? You would have to stop a season half way through to make the transition from summer to winter football.

Edited by ian_mac

"The only problem I see with that is, how would the transition be managed? You would have to stop a season half way through to make the transition from summer to winter football. "

Not a huge problem, play each other twice in a shortened season and don't play the cups. Biggest issue would whether it would be fair to have promotion or relegation in a "half" season

• Members

Schedule a winter break for the whole month of January and extend the season. Any games postponed pre January, can be played, weather permitting, during the break. Clubs to have the option of playing any scheduled forthcoming midweek games on a Saturday during this period also. Also as this is during the transfer window, it could cut down the unsettling of players at their present Clubs during this window.

Don't play the cups? How do you think the Sponsors of said cups would feel about that?

It was only a thought for the "half" season as I doubt they could squeeze in 3 cup competitions. Cups would resume effectively 6 months later. The only thing about the traditional end of season Scottish Cup final is would they want to play in late November?

It was only a thought for the "half" season as I doubt they could squeeze in 3 cup competitions. Cups would resume effectively 6 months later. The only thing about the traditional end of season Scottish Cup final is would they want to play in late November?

Ps I'm not pro or anti summer football, just made a suggestion about how they could make the switch.

I don't see a way around it to be honest. I used to be dead against, but I am now firmly in favour of summer football as the way forward.

I'm having similar resignation to the above, albeit replace 'summer football' with 'an artificial pitch'

Indeed it could be good timing for this with the Warriors seemingly having outgrown Scotstoun - a pitch like at Killie would allow us to groundshare with them again, helping the cost of install and giving us ongoing revenue, while giving them increased capacity for big games.

• Like 1

seen it on another comment but its still the best solution.......Summer Football

Short memory of our last summer when it's possible games could still have got called off. More to the point playing football during a wet summer would knacker the pitch at a time when it's traditionally been reseeded and being allowed to get into good condition. I fully realise the state the pitch is in just now but unless you guarantee benign conditions throughout the period of the summer the ground is in use you would be little if no better off.

I agree with Will to a point. Well nearly entirely. I just feel that a 16 team league would take the pressure of getting re-scheduled matches done and dusted before this split thingy. To that extent the season wouldn't need to be extended to any great degree. The league cup sections would be completed by late summer with no real likelihood of postponements.

btw I don't care one iota for any argument from the clubs with plastic pitches when they inevitably argue they can play their fixtures during the shut down period. In fact any incentive short of full summer football that negates the benefit of such pitches would be welcome.

Meant to say this tho' I did mention it some time back. Went to an U20s match at Firhill a couple of months ago. It had rained incessantly that day and I was really surprised the game took place. In fact the pitch was near perfect, even the "naughty corner". That indicates to this layman at least the major cause of flooding is a saturation problem. In other words the pitch can take so much and that's it. If there's a sustained dry spell the surface could probably deal with a torrential downpour.

The other side of the coin would mean if there's been sustained heavy rainfall even a moderate downpour a few days later could present a problem.

Wimbledon was mentioned earlier, so why not have a retractable roof over the entire stadium ?

OK, so we would have to develop the bing, create structures in each corner and maybe do something about the main stand. It would certainly stop any problems of matches being postponed due to the weather and as a bonus, teams could no longer come to play the long high punt up the park.

at end of season, club needs to dig a big hole where the flooding occurs, and from there dig and lay fishbone drainage system that runs length of the front of the bing, and connect it to the main drains on firhill road. that way runoff from the bing as well as pitch will be carried away and should avoid future seasons of this embarrassing issue.

• Like 1

Wimbledon was mentioned earlier, so why not have a retractable roof over the entire stadium ?

OK, so we would have to develop the bing, create structures in each corner and maybe do something about the main stand. It would certainly stop any problems of matches being postponed due to the weather and as a bonus, teams could no longer come to play the long high punt up the park.

How many millions do you think the club or the Weirs should put into that?

The Centre Court retractable roof at Wimbledon is estimated to have cost between 80 and 100 million quid.

I'd love it, but you and I and everybody knows that it ain't ever gonna happen.

Edited by Jaggernaut

Years ago, the ground used to flood in front of the Main Stand. it took them years to discover there was an old drain that ran down from the canal and it had collapsed, hence the flooding. Wonder if there is something similar at this end of the ground?

I remember that well and the problem once diagnosed was cured. As you suggest, I think it's a fair bet that the current cause is similar.

The whole of the pitch doesn't appear to flood, just the same area.