What Would You Choose...

Mediocre Pundit

What would you choose...  

63 members have voted

1. 1. ...between...

• Lose in Scottish Cup on Saturday but finish in the top six
    • Reach the Scottish Cup final but have a final day 'winner takes all' match to avoid the playoffs

With the Dundee United game on Saturday it would be interesting to gauge how we would regard Scottish Cup success against Premiership survival.

Note in the options that I've not said whether we'd win the Scottish Cup or the 'winner takes all' game to avoid the playoffs - the choice is between comfortable league success and an uncertain, potentially glorious but potentially heartbreaking, end to the season (see Wigan Athletic...)

Thoughts?

Edited by Mediocre Pundit
  • Like 1

Really no idea and I've not voted yet. On the one hand, we haven't reached a final (other than the Ramsdens) in far, far too long and I can imagine if we did then that single day would be one of the greatest of my life.

Yet on the other hand, we spent far, far too long outside of this league and I've really enjoyed the past few years. So I'd be reluctant to give it up.

You've called it a winner-take-all play-off match, but for this to be realistic it would need to be within the parameters of the two-legged format, where we'd have the advantage of the second leg being at home. So would we win the play-off matches? Hard to say as Rangers and Hibs (& even Falkirk) look Scottish Premiership standard right now.

It also depends who's in the final with us. If it was Annan, I'd definitely go for it. If it was Celtic, I'd think twice.

**** it - go for the cup final option. Even if we go down, we've got the bulk of a great squad signed up for next season so we'd probably bounce back straight away!

Edit - however, if the top six option meant that we finished in a European position, then I'd go for that. Would love to go to France, Netherlands, Italy or Azerbaijan with the Jags. :borat:

Edited by ThickAsThieves

For clarification, the winner-takes-all option should be regarded as the last game of the league season against, say, Killie or Accies, where we need to win (or maybe draw) to finish 10th - i.e. it's still in our hands but is going down to the wire. (see Ayr United...)

Ah, apologies!

I'd definitely take that option then.

This is a hard one and here is why...

In my lifetime I fully expect that we will go up and down between divisions. I see that as inevitable unless I have an unfortunate accident.

In my lifetime I would love to see us win the cup. This is less inevitable, but if it happened it would be with me forever. It would be fantastic.

However, I don't want to win a cup and get relegated in the same season. I saw Wigan do that a couple of years ago, and while I'm sure it was a great day for their fans, I reckon it would be forever tainted by relegation in the same week.

So I suppose what I'm saying is, league position really has to come first, and the cup can follow.

• Like 1

I'd go for top six. As said previously in the thread, we've spent far too long in the lower divisions. I'd like us to be a mainstay, something that St Johnstone have become, in this league. If we're in that boat, cup success will come eventually.

It is a very difficult choice though. Thankfully the two are not mutually exclusive.

F*ck me. A whole thread now on why it might be ok to lose in the Scottish Cup. :wall:

Make caveats for defeat and defeated ye shall be.

100% all out effort for victory at Tannadice please Thistle. Bodies on the line, concentration from beginning to end. We've done them over lately, with the right attitude we can do it again.

Lest there be any doubt, I wouldn't touch this stupid poll with a barge pole.

• Like 2

Win a bloody cup every time!

Finishing sixth so what!!!! Wow we are above seven but below fifth!!! That will look great in the history books!

I can still remember everyone talking about that year we finished sixth in the 50s / 60s or 70s or does everyone go starry eyed when recalling '71? Name that eleven?

Cannot believe people genuinely would rather finish 6th. That would be a finished topic of conversation when we secured that position before the first pint was done BUT to see Abdul lift the Scottish Cup, Archie at the end of the line waiting for his handshake and medal ........ Would need at least a fortnight AFF work

• Like 1

Win a bloody cup every time!

Finishing sixth so what!!!! Wow we are above seven but below fifth!!! That will look great in the history books!

I can still remember everyone talking about that year we finished sixth in the 50s / 60s or 70s or does everyone go starry eyed when recalling '71? Name that eleven?

Cannot believe people genuinely would rather finish 6th. That would be a finished topic of conversation when we secured that position before the first pint was done BUT to see Abdul lift the Scottish Cup, Archie at the end of the line waiting for his handshake and medal ........ Would need at least a fortnight AFF work

I am going for the death or glory option.

Finishing in the top six would be a decent season...but one of the biggest highs I have had watching Thistle in recent years was that night at Tynecastle when we won 4-2 to secure our place in the top division...I still get shivers just thinking of Gary Fraser's thunderbolt exploding in the net. So a win or bust game would definitely be exciting and if we can't finish above Killie & Hamilton this season, we will deserve to be in the play-off.

Add on a Cup Final...a big day out, the club's profile being raised and the chance to win a trophy.

Our record in both the Scottish & League Cups is truly awful...but the one proviso is that we play in the final with a bit of style and flair. I would actually be quite disappointed if we won after a 0-0 borefest and penalties(unless it was against either of the Ugly Sisters).

If I had been asked on 22 October 1971, if I would trade a spectacular victory the following day but would never again see Thistle in a Final or beat Celtic, I would probably have hesitated...but looking back, well believe me the sheer joy of that day of glory was worth all the bad times since.

Edited by Winter of '63

Amazing the number of differing opinions on this Mediocre Pundit.

I am 48 and have never seen my team win a major trophy ( ok was 4 in 1971 )

I reckon 1921...1971....like may others 2021 could be a big year, but like many others, I believe and hope it will come sooner.

We are on a great track, built over the last 3 managers and in Archie I trust.

It will come, hopefully tomorrow but if not then next year or the one after. As long as the team continues to have SPFL status then we will never be in a stronger position.