2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

We really need a central defender. Seabourne is a bombscare at times and his distribution is horrendous. Lindsay constantly gets caught out between chasing the ball or staying with his man. I know it's his first season but I just don't see what people are sometimes raving about. Frans is a decent back up option but a bit on the slow side but would be happy for him to sign an extension.

And yet, we have the (joint) best defensive record outside the top 3. These players must have been doing something right. Out of the three you mention, I would say that Seabourne and Lindsay played the most (I've not checked this though) and therefore made the greatest contribution to this laudable defensive record. I think we might struggle to do better. And Lindsay shows real promise for only a single season in a position where experience is a big advantage.

The defensive record is more to do with the keeper and not the defensive line.

Just look at the last few games when Cerny hasn't been there and the number of goals we've conceded. Not exactly a good defensive record is it?

Sorry, I do not accept this. Yes Cerny makes a difference and is much better than Scully. But a keeper alone does not make up for a poor defence. During the time Scully has been in goals, there has been even more enforced defensive changes than before, and Osman has been limited by a niggling injury. We also played a young inexprienced side on Tuesday. To say it's all down to Scully is unfair.

I'm not saying that Scully is to blame.

What I'm saying is that a strong keeper makes up for weaknesses in the defensive line in front of him. My major concern is that Liam (who is still young and inexperienced) is being influenced by Dan beside him, who as another poster said is bombscare a lot of the times and gets away with a lot of blatant fouling. He's lucky not to have conceded around 10 penalties this season.

With a weaker keeper in goal, the defensive line frailties are there for all to see.

• Like 2

Has anyone got a list of who's now signed for next season ?

I compiled this and think it is accurate (but am open to corrections):

Cerny (to 2018)

Fraser (to 2017)

Elliot (to 2017)

Dumbuya (2018)

Booth (to 2018)

Lindsay (to 2017)

Edwards (to 2017)

Erskine (to 2019)

Doolan (to 2019)

Pogba (to 2017)

Nisbet (to 2018)

Osman (to 2018)

Amoo (to 2017)

Looks good but an obvious gap is at centre back where we only have Lindsay signed for next season.

Edited by Mr Bunny

Seaborne has been an excellent defender. Yes he has made the odd mistake but who hasn't? Just watch some of the defending in tonight's pretenders game. Both these teams would have benefitted from Dan playing for them.

I don't care that he can't play like Hansen or shaggy. Win the ball and clear. That's his job. To describe him as bombscare is plain stupid.

I think Cerny is one of the best keepers I have seen; not just down to shot stopping or taking crosses but through organising defence and positioning. Never appreciated this till scully replaced him. Sorry, he is not good enough. Gal is a better bet.

Lindsay is a left sided player and struggles at RCB. Have faith with him but he should compete with seaborne while Miller and frans should compete on the right. As long as they all sign!

Alston would be a terrific signing. Think he has said that he is leaving though I wonder it that would change if they win the play off. He turned 24 in March, so don't think a fee will be required though not 100% certain with these things!

Edited by Lindau

We won't be the only ones after him I'm sure so this is probably got no chance of happening but I'd love to bring in Blair Alston from Falkirk.

Would we owe them training compo?

no compensation according to Falkirk fans as he is 24 and they are annoyed that he can leave on a free. Good chance Falkirk will get promoted so can't see us getting him unfortunately

I hope he signs, and I particularly like this quote from the big chap -

“The fans are good and the games are intense. If I’d ended up at another club the experience might not have been as good but Partick Thistle give me a great feeling.

“I’ve never known such a close group of players. I’ve told the staff I could stay here forever.”

“People talk negatively about Scottish football and say that even League One in England is better but it’s terrible football there as well."

I actually spat my drink laughing at that. There's a wonderful candour about the way people involved in football for whom English isn't their first language express themselves. Klopp has been the same.

I see on SSN that St Johnstone have made Sutton available for loan or transfer, surely he would be better than Pogba. Aberdeen have also released Goodwillie, he's probably too similar a player to Doolan and not really a targetman, dunno if he would be worth a shot? Wouldn't be surprised to see him end up back at Dundee Utd as he's probably received so much abuse from every other fans!

• 2 weeks later...

Always thought Craig Slater was half decent and surprised to see Killie offload him. Not sure whether this total clear out from Killie will work. It's a brave move from Clark considering the apparent financial situation at the club. Could be a great move to get rid of all the deadwood and start again or it could backfire spectacularly!