2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

Is that true? I thought the league cup ties are played then

Good point jaggy.

"The 2016/17 league season start will follow the group stages of the new format of the Scottish League Cup when eight groups of five teams will play each other once each in a round-robin format across five July dates (16th, 20th, 23th, 27th & 30th), subject to TV selections."

SPFL website.

Aye the Club have said to hold our horses re this one and will let us know shortly.

eta And talking of pressing needs evidently cider bottle labels can only be spelled with a "Y" (cyder) if the product is a first pressing of apples. I'll e mail the Club to get confirmation if this info is accurate.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Apparently we are doing a West Country tour playing Cirencester Eastleigh and Bath ....last week in July

According to the local rag in Cirencester, it's Wed 29 June.

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/sport/14514514.FOOTBALL__Cirencester_Town_to_play_pre_season_friendly_with_The_Hoff_s_favourite_club_Partick_Thistle/

Ach we don't need him, we've got Amoo and Erskine and mibby Lawless. Mark Kerr started the playoff final before him so he canny be that good (although he did get in the championship team of the year). funny to see Lee Wallace didn't get in the team, Leahy from Falkirk was at left back.

Heard a little rumour that Archibald is interested in Robbie Muirhead and wants to invite him in for pre-season. I know a lot of people were not overly impressed by him, but I think he has a lot of promise under the right manager, and could be a replacement for Bannigan and/or Lawless.

Heard a little rumour that Archibald is interested in Robbie Muirhead and wants to invite him in for pre-season. I know a lot of people were not overly impressed by him, but I think he has a lot of promise under the right manager, and could be a replacement for Bannigan and/or Lawless.

I would take him as well.

hes only just turned 20 didn't get that much time and was on loan from another club who were our relegation rivals make it even harder for him back then nor did he get a pre season with us. If people say Pogba has not been given enough time and he's 24/25 then Muirhead more than deserves a chance. He has obviously been quite highly rated in the past and being young there's real potential

Muirhead is a guy I would like to see us take a punt on. Definitely a lot of potential.

I don't believe you'll get many disagree re the lad's potential. We all however know too many young players who for various reasons have never fulfilled their potential. If Archie is indeed interested in the lad then I'd suggest bringing in Muirhead is a far more calculated decision than simply taking a punt.

One major difference in management style Archie displays compared to say the likes of Ian McCall is he doesn't just take a punt. He gets the odd signing wrong like most managers but he won't sign anyone that doesn't display the right attitude and character. If Archie does sign Muirhead I'll be chuffed as not doubting his potential it will mean the player has also passed the other criteria.

Based on no info whatsoever I wouldn't be surprised if any one from Muirhead, Nesbitt, Chris Johnston or even Higginbotham is in our squad next season.

Colin Weir ?

There's nothing wrong with having a sugar daddy, I was just pointing out that their support alone should on the face of it allow them no bigger budget than us (though I'd imagine they'd have to pay players more to go there). The problem with a sugar-dady is whether he puts his money in the club in a sensible and sustainable way. I reckon long term Ross County will go backwards when that money is no longer available (and for small clubs like us and RC sugar-daddies are always short term).

He is doing OK at the moment because they seem to invest in decent players that suit and improve the club. Morton btw are an example of the opposite, an example of a sugar-daddy (in every sense) spending the wrong way and leaving the club in a mess when the money runs out. RC seem to be more sensibly run but when the money does run out they will find it hard to sustain their top league place.

The Weirs on the other hand have invested in a sustainable way. They haven't put a penny in towards buying players but they have helped finance the first proper youth policy we've ever had which seems to be starting to give results. They've "invested" to help clear our debt. OK that frees up some money for players but it's not direct investment in players. Whatever happens next is up to how well others run the club: they have helped put us in a position where if we do things right the club has a good future. From now on it's how the board/manager run things and if they do it right the club has a sutainable long term future even if the Weirs were never to give us another penny.

• Like 1