2016-17 Pre Season Thread!

Lindau

There's nothing wrong with having a sugar daddy, I was just pointing out that their support alone should on the face of it allow them no bigger budget than us (though I'd imagine they'd have to pay players more to go there). The problem with a sugar-dady is whether he puts his money in the club in a sensible and sustainable way. I reckon long term Ross County will go backwards when that money is no longer available (and for small clubs like us and RC sugar-daddies are always short term).

He is doing OK at the moment because they seem to invest in decent players that suit and improve the club. Morton btw are an example of the opposite, an example of a sugar-daddy (in every sense) spending the wrong way and leaving the club in a mess when the money runs out. RC seem to be more sensibly run but when the money does run out they will find it hard to sustain their top league place.

The Weirs on the other hand have invested in a sustainable way. They haven't put a penny in towards buying players but they have helped finance the first proper youth policy we've ever had which seems to be starting to give results. They've "invested" to help clear our debt. OK that frees up some money for players but it's not direct investment in players. Whatever happens next is up to how well others run the club: they have helped put us in a position where if we do things right the club has a good future. From now on it's how the board/manager run things and if they do it right the club has a sutainable long term future even if the Weirs were never to give us another penny.

Agree with everything that you say. I thought that your initial post was a moan about sugar dadies in general. What the Weirs are doing is different to the norm, and I respect both them and the current club management for the way the money is being used. As you say, it does release cash for building the squad that might have been needed elsewhere, but I believe that the club would be sustainable even without any further cash from the Weirs

(If they do want to spend a bob or two, I have heard that Ibrahimovich is looking for a new club. Might be the sort of target man that could do a job for us)

(If they do want to spend a bob or two, I have heard that Ibrahimovich is looking for a new club. Might be the sort of target man that could do a job for us)

----------------------------------

Yeah, he'd get a few games here and there but inevitably Kris Doolan would see him off and still finish the season as top scorer

• Like 3

Re "West Country tour" - Hope this is true! But don't see anything on either Cirencester or Bath websites. Both are only about 15 miles for me :-)

Bath will give us a game, they're always up for a challenge. But can't see Cirencester giving us any problems (3rd tier of non-league). Would have been good to stand in the away end of my adopted Bristol Rovers for a change!

Edited by Wiltshire Jag

I don't imagine the seemingly imminent vacancy at Hibs will cause us any difficulty as regards our management?

Personally can't see it being a problem....................

Breaking News!!!

Arbroath have reluctantly given Dick Campbell permission to speak to Hibernian FC regarding the vacant position of manager at Easter Rd.

Breaking News!!! Arbroath have reluctantly given Dick Campbell permission to speak to Hibernian FC regarding the vacant position of manager at Easter Rd.

Would Dick not be more interested in a move to Montrose which would make him the first person to manage all the teams in the Angus Quadrangle?

Friendly at Starks Park on the evening of July 5th posted on official site.

Must be the best timed and situated friendly ever. I am on holiday in Crail (only 25 miles away) that week!

Reminds me of the time we were on holiday on the west coast of County Limerick and realised that Thistle were playing Glentoran in Belfast. Ireland was a lot wider and longer than we had anticipated and it was a colossal drive on slow roads. Fortunately Trigger McLean squeezed in a late equaliser (it was not really a proper goal as it did not hit the back of the net) to give us some reward for writing off a whole day of our lives.

• Like 2

Shame that Big Fred has decided to move on. Remember thinking at the game v Dumbarton at the Science Park last pre season, how big and powerful our central defence looked with Miller, Frans, Seaborne and Lindsay all playing. It's not something we have had in our locker for a long time. I do think we need a bit more pace at the back, so was happy to see one moving, but losing two is a blow and it will be an even bigger blow if Gary Miller doesn't sign up. Hopefully Archie has a few up his sleeve for the centre back position