Partick Thistle Vs Heart Of Midlothian

jagfox

Woeful?...really. Honestly were you at the game? Thought we were excellent today and we certainly weren't scared shitless of Hearts. From where I was in the North it looked a clear foul on Tomas at the goal, but need to see it again. Thought Chris Erskine and Danny Devine were excellent and both him and Liam (despite a few dodgy moments) are building a good partnership. Thought Azeez was good up front. Agree what most are saying about Pogba and was disappointed in Osman and Booth both of whom don't look up to speed at the moment. Gutted at the ending but consoled by the fact that we played really well

Unlike some I don't think losing at home to a mediocre Hearts team is 'excellent'. This small team mentality drives me up the wall and really needs to be shaken off for good. It's not Tommy Bryce in charge with a team of ex juniors any more.

ETA : looking back on this thread I see ridiculous comments like 'I'd be happy with 0-0' etc. Why are people so scared of these teams? I'm genuinely perplexed.

Edited by Vaila Street

THought we played ok and definitely deserved a point. Sat too deep for long spells in the game, showed them too much respect in my opinion but that seems to be archie's way (in the 2 home league games anyway) sit in against these teams that play out from the back, hit them on the break, i'll leave the tactics in archie's capable hands.

Hearts are a decent enough big team and will definitely be top half, we did well but we do need to start taking points off the "big teams" our record against them is awful.

Calum Patterson has really matured into a smashing player, I think he's the most complete full back in the league.

Unlike some I don't think losing at home to a mediocre Hearts team is 'excellent'. This small team mentality drives me up the wall and really needs to be shaken off for good. It's not Tommy Bryce in charge with a team of ex juniors any more.

ETA : looking back on this thread I see ridiculous comments like 'I'd be happy with 0-0' etc. Why are people so scared of these teams? I'm genuinely perplexed.

Entitled to your opinion, but you honestly think Hearts are/were mediocre?? Your perplexed?....I'm baffled by your comments! Hearts are a good side but didn't play as well today because we played well! I have seen us defend to the hilt against the Celtic and Aberdeen's over the last few seasons but am astonished that you can throw that accusation at us today. As a few have said, the game changed when Pogba came on and nothing stuck up front, putting more pressure on the defence.....it certainly wasn't a case of us sitting back

Edited by Lindau

Because some of us don't live in utter fantasy land and understand that, looking at our squad and looking at theirs, we were always going to be underdogs.

• Like 2

Can't agree that the small team mentality played any part today. To my mind, that was one of the best games of football I have seen at Firhill for a while, with two teams looking well matched and some nice skill and passing ability on display. It was unfortunate for us that we lost but we could just as easily have won the game. That's what happens when the game is so open and chances are being made by both teams. It's all down to the finishing and it's a shame that Dools didn't have his shooting boots on today otherwise it might have been different. I've always said that as long as we compete, I'll walk away happy and we definitely did today. Deserved at least a point. It was the same scoreline as last week yet both games were different stories. We didn't look on the same level last week but today we certainly looked as good as Hearts. Frustrating as it was today, we were entertained and Thistle were unlucky to lose.

The only questionables for me are Lindsay and Pogba. Lindsay looks shakey at the back and I'd rather he was a squad player for another year rather than an automatic first team pick. He needs protection as he's such a young lad and I think he'll cost us too many goals over the season if we continue with him. Pogba didn't show enough energy when he came on and when we had our chance at the end from Erskine's cross (when it was 1-1) I was looking at him and he was labouring into the penalty box for the cross. Not good enough from him.

• Like 4

I'm not trying to be controversial by mentioning the "W"-word before anyone starts with the "he's just your scapegoat" talk. But I honestly thought we looked a lot sharper and quicker through the midfield without Welsh today. Barring the odd game, that was the first Thistle team for the best part of a year I've seen play without Welsh being a starter, and I just thought for once we actually showed some bite going through the middle rather than our over reliance on wing play.

• Like 2

For me it seemed that hearts were the home team and we were the away team. Hearts had most of the ball and we threatened on the break. The last 15 minutes had hearts with the ball the majority of the time and for me they looked the more likely to score. Their winner was a result of 3 defendable instants - Thomas should of had a better punch, Abdul should of headed more strongly & Thomas should of got something on watts angled shot.

Hearts were the better team overall but we could of won the match if we were a tad more thoughtful in front of goal.

Agreed it is about time we got points from the great unwashed, the sheep and Edinburgh rangers cause I think we are good enough.

You wanted Pogba to start. That's real fantasy land.

I thought a big physical forward would be a good approach to the game, and Pogba is the only one we have. He was crap when he came on, but that doesn't change my point.

You seem to be suggesting that we should expect to beat teams who, looking at the teams, are quite simply better than us, and suggesting that a draw wouldn't be s good result. That's absolutely laughable.

I was disappointed no gutted to lose the goal but pleased with team performance. A very entertaining game. Good atmosphere. Nice weather. Good away support. Good play from both sides.

Hearts look a big team. Physically strong. They have a lot more money than us. From a Scotland perspective their keeper, Souttar and Paterson look decent players.

I couldn't fault any of our team. I do think we lost something with Azeez and Doolan off, it was the first time I saw Azeez play and he looks decent. Erskine showed some good touches. Defence was fine. Edwards played much better in the "sitting" midfield role than I expected. We had several fluid passing moves and our shots were just not there either not getting enough on ball or time just not there.

If we play like that then we'll do OK this season. Onwards and upwards.

thought today we competed well today

cerney did well today always feel confident when he is between the sticks i'm sure the players feel the same

gordon was a bit subdued for me he looks and acts like a team leader. more a midfield player imo

booth doesn't look match fit or carrying an injury still not at his best

devine played well today a few "daft" moments but did ok

lindsay he did play well but allowed a free header for the the first goal when we were enjoying a good spell

scored a good equaliser

osman played his usual solid game though booked again but would get a nose bleed when he crossed the halfway line

edwards i like edwards but he is not a midfield player imo did ok

erskine on the ball today he was our best player

lawless clever player on and off the ball always a goal threat

doolan quiet sort of game for doolan but did well when ball was played to feet together with erskine and lawless they had some great interplay

azeez did really well today surprised when he was subbed

pogba really contributed very little to the game when he came on imo azeez is far better in fact nisbet would be a better option

i enjoyed the game today apart from the sucker blow at the end

but we do need a dominant centre half and a centre midfield player capable of driving the team forward and who also carries a goal threat

btw i still stand my earlier team selection elliot at fullback and gordon in midfield along with osman

Hearts were mediocre because ?

That was hard to take. They put in 100pc, played some great football, tried to attack, entertained but still lost.

Erskine, Edwards, Devine, Ziggy were all superb. And some others were good.

But Hearts are a better team. And bigger and stronger. Lawless played some delightful stuff and kept at it but I would have subbed him shortly after we scored because we never won a midfield challenge all day and conceded possession at will. We were muscled out. When Azeez went off their no 14 had complete freedom to roam. Wave after wave repelled almost till the end by a very good back 4. I thought Wilson should have been on for Lawless.

Defeat is tough but I was well entertained. We could have won it if Callum had delivered a better cross just before they scored st the end.

Hearts have some excellent young SCOTTISH players so good on them. They are better than Sevco. And we won't play against a more physical team all season.

Afraid I could have written the script today before a ball was kicked. First of all let me say that this was probably as good a game of football as your likely to see at Firhill this season. We really didn't deserve to lose.

That said fortune favours the brave and Hertz finished the likelier team to be honest.

For the second week in a row we've come away with nil points in a game we should at least have drawn. I guess that'Ll be what concerns Mr Archibald the most.

Finally in my 40 years of supporting the Jags this was not an uncommon outcome!

Disagree with a couple of comments about Edwards. Firstly I think he's played better in his normal more forward role. Also thought he was just that split second too late in the anticipation you need for the defensive side of playing midfield. Not unlike Gary Fraser when he's been asked to play a less free role. Still feel Ryan had a good game going forward.

I suppose the nature of the 1-2 defeat today makes it a lot harder to take than the same score last week. That said once again I feel in both matches the biggest disappointment has been not scoring when we've been on top and when we were creating decent chances. I suppose over the two games we should really have picked up a couple of points but I'm far from pessamistic with our start to the season.

2 things about today, Hearts seemed to get the break of the ball all day including at the winner & Hearts have 8 players named International squads this week.

I thought we played really well and were very unlucky to lose. Onwards & upwards, if we keep up the same performance all season we'll do ok. Erskine is our main man & will win matches for us

• Like 1

Seems our youth players are on a hiding to nothing, probably best to scrap the thistle weir academy because if they come through and ain't messi they are shite!
Well said if we cant find a better player then Pogba then what's the point. Edited by sabbath

Pogba................Your having a laugh Archie, Its as if brother Paul was giving you £10,000 a week to give him a game. If we cant find a better player in the development, then look to the stands, there are hundreds of better players watching that's better than him......voluntarily going down to ten men was not a wise move..............Pogba............FSake

This was one of the best games I've seen in a long time. Really disappointed to lose, but felt we played well throughout and very well in patches. Hearts also played well and like Thistle, controlled the game at certain points. In the cold sober morning perspective, we lost 1 point. We had a draw, tried to get the win, but lost the match. I would rather see that than trying to hold on for a draw. We started with 2 forwards, 1 defensive midfielder and the excellent Erskine. We are not too far away from being a good team, and possibly the best Thistle team since Glavin and co.

• Like 1

I think the most pleasing aspect of yesterday was that we set up to try to win the match rather than hoping not to lose it.

Surprise surprise that in turn allowed us to create more chances, be infinitely more exciting to watch and this bodes well for the rest of the season - particularly if we can add one or two in key positions in the next few days.

Oh and please Archie - don't insult our intelligence by playing that bag of cement Pogba ever again - had over a full season to get fit and is still so far off the pace it's frightening!

Sore one yesterday, could have won it only to lose it at the end.

Hearts are some size of team, they must have a minimum height policy. Despite that they had lots of possession without creating clear cut chances. Tony Watt looks a player, almost everything went through him.

From a Jags point of view, yesterday showed how thin our squad is with a few missing. looking at the bench there was not much to change it.

Pogba.... Nope. Nothing else to say there.

Need a centre half, a midfielder even on loan (given the injuries and inevitable suspensions) and a replacement for Pogba.

Very winnable next few games though. Onwards and upwards.

I agree with most of the above comments. It was a smashing game and we did well against a very good team. I thought Devine, Edwards, Erskine, and Azeez were our best players but everybody gave full effort and we deserved a draw. I did feel we would have taken off Lawless who was struggling with their physical approach. Of course their free header was down to Big Liam but I would also hope a keeper would come for a cross in the area. But overall an improvement over our efforts at Pittodrie and hopefully we'll be ruthless against weaker teams over the next few weeks. Well done,lads,we look a better team than last season.

• Like 1

You have to wonder what games some people watch or whether they were indeed at the game. We have Vaila Street saying Hearts were mediocre and that we were woeful, yet everyone else has posted how well we played against a very good side. The mind boggles!