'sit Effin Doon'

westertonjagfan

As much as I expected the usual goading and threats from the Greyskull hordes around us, I wasn't quite prepared for Jags fans just about coming to fisticuffs. I was sitting near the bottom of our section when one guy started screaming 'Sit Effin Doon' ( add your own expletives) at another Jags fan in front of him. It was pretty obvious the guy standing was going to sit down ( it was 3.01) after clapping the team, but it quickly turned into a real rammy, with all the usual 'Want to come outside and fight about this then, pal?' etc. I know lots of folk were standing through the game-which is fine, you just stand up too, but this was a bit mental. Is our league position making us all go mad?

Tell that to the bell end that decided he was standing all game as he cannae be doing with all this "sitting doon pish" despite him being the second front row next to me and standing right in front of two or three kids who looked about 5 or 6 who couldn't see a thing. Even his boy sat down so they could see but naw this plank stood arms folded for the entire first half blocking the view of god knows how many folk. A true 'big man'.

Finally sat down in the second half but yesterday reiterated to me that if I had to sit next to some of our support every week then I think my trips to firhill would be severely reduced. Every support has an idiot element I guess.

Edited by kennymac29
  • Like 7

Tell that to the bell end that decided he was standing all game as he cannae be doing with all this "sitting doon pish" despite him being the second front row next to me and standing right in front of two or three kids who looked about 5 or 6 who couldn't see a thing. Even his boy sat down so they could see but naw this plank stood arms folded for the entire first half blocking the view of god knows how many folk. A true 'big man'.

Finally sat down in the second half but yesterday reiterated to me that if I had to sit next to some of our support every week then I think my trips to firhill would be severely reduced. Every support has an idiot element I guess.

I fear that standing up is primarily to get noticed and part of the "I'm a better fan than you" syndrome. Personally hate sitting at football but would only ever stand when on a terracing (and being short, standing isn't a huge advantage in any case!).

• Like 1

Totally selfish act by this individual when young kids are unable to see for him.

Interesting to see that this thread is currently next to "Last Jag Standing"

I prefer standing if the opportunity is there to do so (and I hope it is not part of a "Better Fan Syndrome"). I just feel more flexible and relaxed and generally involved in the game, and can perhaps see a bit better. But I will always aim for the back row if possible, so there is no one behind me to be inconvenienced and if that cannot be done I would never ever insist on standing if that would obstruct anyone else. Personal freedom should never extend itself into arrogant selfishness.

• Like 2

There's the mental torment to be considered as well. At Rugby Pk the other week I had the misfortune to be seated in front (or nearby at least) to Charlie Commentator. This guy for 90 minutes must have thought he was in the dugout with a loudhailer. Subjected to an hour and half to the likes of " Square ball, Callum! Sit on it, Abdul! Run diagonal, Chris! Release it now, Stevie!". Absolutely nothing wrong with his patter in isolation but ninety feckin' non-stop minutes of it was unbearable.

Interestingly, I stood up on Saturday because I couldn't see half the pitch if I was sitting. I was then shouted at by some older lady who couldn't understand that if I sat down that I couldn't see the game due to people standing up to my right. She took it as a personal attack on her and claimed that I just didn't want to sit down and was nothing to do with a view. Had she asked a bit nicer rather than grabbing the back of my jacket then I might have been less of an *********. I ended up having to move. She then must have realised she was wrong in the 2nd half as she moved further up the stand.

All areas are seated... Supporters have the right to support their club how they like, I do not allow people to disregard the elderly, sick, disabled or young supporters from any club. This being said why is no-one pointing out that the club who is selling the tickets should be responsible for the fans that they sell them to?

If you have spectators that want to stand then sell tickets that are at the back of the section, if you want to sit sell tickets from the front. That is common sense.

Frankly, people have got to behave with manners as well as common decency at a game. I find a lot of this standing at matches to be nothing more than an affectation: which shows no regard for the elderly, sick/disabled or kids who quite frankly can't see the game if people insist on standing in a seated are.

Aye, there's a large group of 'standers' at West Ham's new ground causing lots of bother as they're doing it in front of weans etc. An affectation indeed.