The Partick Thistle Football Club Trust (Ptfc Trust)

Fearchar

There is an uncomfortable sense of the club deluding itself (to this viewer, anyway) not just because the new board-appointed trust snatches the mantle of fans' shareholder from the Jags Trust, but also when the results of a survey are announced which say "Communications between club and fans" are a major concern of fans - just after locking away much of the online communications behind a paywall and then patting themselves on the back for it. Is this doomed to be another of the club's futile gestures and campaigns (real Scottish football, TAG, "leap of faith", etc.)? :o

OS link:

https://ptfc.co.uk/p...es-for-thistle/

Edited by Fearchar

• 4 weeks later...

Not exactly great planning is it? I bet there are a few people who would quite like to attend the meeting and the development game.

A cynic could argue that they maybe don't want a large attendance so they can just get on with doing what they are wanting without any resistance? Borrowing tactics from the JT?

• Like 2

Not exactly great planning is it? I bet there are a few people who would quite like to attend the meeting and the development game. A cynic could argue that they maybe don't want a large attendance so they can just get on with doing what they are wanting without any resistance? Borrowing tactics from the JT?

The Jags Trust could not reach a decision that way because a meeting would then be inquorate. However, it may be worth asking if this new trust, as a creation of the Board, has anything in its constitution to keep meetings with light attendance from making decisions - or, indeed, if it has any power to make decisions rather than being a focus group to provide feedback for the Board.

I was at the meeting this evening (just back) and I will put a more in depth summary up tomorrow evening but I thought it was very useful and there was one bit of info which made me very happy (and I think will please a lot of others as well).

I'll wager the meeting wasn't as much fun as was the finish to the U20s game :clapping:

I was at the meeting this evening (just back) and I will put a more in depth summary up tomorrow evening but I thought it was very useful and there was one bit of info which made me very happy (and I think will please a lot of others as well).

Can you tell, or sworn to secrecy?

I'll wager the meeting wasn't as much fun as was the finish to the U20s game :clapping:

Exactly. We were getting ready to nip off when wee Neilly scored the equaliser. Then the winner from young Callum was the icing on the cake. I just wish he would do something with his shorts, looks as if they are a couple of sizes too big for him...lol. Not a great performance, but a great result from the young lads. That will be my last game of the season as I think the lads games now move to Airdrie. We really do have a few promising young kids on the books!

So Martin, put us all out of our suspense. What made you happy?

So here is a recap of the meeting last evening.

First we will deal with the negative - the attendance was only 10 (plus the 4 trust board members). It was explained that the meeting was originally planned for the 5th of November but when the game was moved to the Friday evening it needed to be rearranged. As people who completed the survey indicated they prefer a Saturday matchday date for meetings the club looked for the next one but that is not until the 31st of December so not really an option. It was accepted that having it on a midweek would impact on the crowd but the trust also wanted to get a meeting held so that there would not be a long break between the initial meeting and the next one.

The first issue discussed was communication between the club and the fans. All those in attendance were of the opinion that things have improved a great deal in recent years but things can still be made even better. The new website and Jagzone were praised. In regards to Jagzone it was asked if there had been any feedback re having to pay for things which had been free in the past. The answer was that there has been some comments on this but that is expected in these circumstances however the majority of comments have been positive. Jagzone is more of an add on as core items (manager & player interviews) still are put on the website but Jagzone gives you things that are going on behind the scenes.

Fan engagement was also discussed and this is when the issue which made me happy came up. Now please remember that I am a sad person so what makes me happy might not seem that much to others! The club will give the fans the chance to pick our home strip for next season! This is something I have been on at the club to do for years hence my happiness. Joma will present 3 options to the club and fans will be able to vote for their favourite and the winner will be the kit. It is hoped this will take place in December. The club are also looking at the possibility of having a dedicated member if staff for engagement.

The second issue that had been identified from the survey was getting more people to games. This is a very difficult issue as there are so many factors involved and some are things which the club can't control. There was a lot discussed here and being honest you could probably guess what was said so I don't intend to go over everything here. The main point was the club are willing to try things and some of these could be things that have maybe been tried as a one off in the past with some success. The matchday experience was brought up and that is something the club will be looking at. It was recognised that the JH Stand is starting to show its age and the club are trying each season to do bits and pieces in different areas to address issues that appear. The Bing was also mentioned and ideally we would have a 4 sided stadium but that is something which is not likely to happen anytime soon. The shape of any future development and fans having an input was discussed and the trust would seek opinions at the appropriate time to feeback to the club board.

Involvement with the community is also something the club acknowledge they need to be more structured in as at the moment it is a bit hit and miss with the club doing some stuff, the community trust doing some stuff and the academy doing things as well. This links in the the possibilty of having a member of staff dealing solely with engagement.

The next meeting is on a Saturday matchday - 18th Feb '17 - and there will be more of a push in the build up to that to get people along as this is for us the fans to have our say. Personally I don't think there has been a better time for fans to get their ideas across as the club are being open and are receptive so don't sit on the sidelines or wait for something to happen then say "nobody asked me" or "I could have come up with a better idea".

I realise that I have not covered every single thing that was discussed so if you have a specific question post it here and I will respond to that.

• Like 1

So here is a recap of the meeting last evening.

First we will deal with the negative - the attendance was only 10 (plus the 4 trust board members). It was explained that the meeting was originally planned for the 5th of November but when the game was moved to the Friday evening it needed to be rearranged. As people who completed the survey indicated they prefer a Saturday matchday date for meetings the club looked for the next one but that is not until the 31st of December so not really an option. It was accepted that having it on a midweek would impact on the crowd but the trust also wanted to get a meeting held so that there would not be a long break between the initial meeting and the next one.

The first issue discussed was communication between the club and the fans. All those in attendance were of the opinion that things have improved a great deal in recent years but things can still be made even better. The new website and Jagzone were praised. In regards to Jagzone it was asked if there had been any feedback re having to pay for things which had been free in the past. The answer was that there has been some comments on this but that is expected in these circumstances however the majority of comments have been positive. Jagzone is more of an add on as core items (manager & player interviews) still are put on the website but Jagzone gives you things that are going on behind the scenes.

Fan engagement was also discussed and this is when the issue which made me happy came up. Now please remember that I am a sad person so what makes me happy might not seem that much to others! The club will give the fans the chance to pick our home strip for next season! This is something I have been on at the club to do for years hence my happiness. Joma will present 3 options to the club and fans will be able to vote for their favourite and the winner will be the kit. It is hoped this will take place in December. The club are also looking at the possibility of having a dedicated member if staff for engagement.

The second issue that had been identified from the survey was getting more people to games. This is a very difficult issue as there are so many factors involved and some are things which the club can't control. There was a lot discussed here and being honest you could probably guess what was said so I don't intend to go over everything here. The main point was the club are willing to try things and some of these could be things that have maybe been tried as a one off in the past with some success. The matchday experience was brought up and that is something the club will be looking at. It was recognised that the JH Stand is starting to show its age and the club are trying each season to do bits and pieces in different areas to address issues that appear. The Bing was also mentioned and ideally we would have a 4 sided stadium but that is something which is not likely to happen anytime soon. The shape of any future development and fans having an input was discussed and the trust would seek opinions at the appropriate time to feeback to the club board.

Involvement with the community is also something the club acknowledge they need to be more structured in as at the moment it is a bit hit and miss with the club doing some stuff, the community trust doing some stuff and the academy doing things as well. This links in the the possibilty of having a member of staff dealing solely with engagement.

The next meeting is on a Saturday matchday - 18th Feb '17 - and there will be more of a push in the build up to that to get people along as this is for us the fans to have our say. Personally I don't think there has been a better time for fans to get their ideas across as the club are being open and are receptive so don't sit on the sidelines or wait for something to happen then say "nobody asked me" or "I could have come up with a better idea".

I realise that I have not covered every single thing that was discussed so if you have a specific question post it here and I will respond to that.

FT, I assume the 4 sided stadium idea will not happen in the near future due to planning permission and no cash available for such a development.?

FT, I assume the 4 sided stadium idea will not happen in the near future due to planning permission and no cash available for such a development.?

Without going through the whole PropCo thing again it comes down to planning permission and the market for such a development. What ever is built would have some facilities for the club though.

Very good question LLD.

The poor attendance (six!) would suggest that the fans have absolutely no interest in how the club is run. This is probably because things appear to be going so well just now, on and off the park.

I remember a meet the board night around 2007, just after Campbell had been sacked, and the attendance was around 500, of which the club could only seat around half.

My immediate concern at the moment would be how much we are relying on the Weirs, especially with Colin not being in the best of health.

Edited by ian_mac

I wonder if fans really do want a say in running the club. It's easy to talk in the pub and type in here but its a struggle to attend a meeting.

Valid point. You can draw a parallel with Jags home attendances. No shortage of criticism of this and that on here from people who can but don't attend. Still only six turning up from I reckon not too far short of two thousand regular match attending adults is very poor indeed. Might have got a few more of us along if the meeting was held an hour later or the U20s kicked off earlier but that's clutching at straws.

As someone who attended the meeting, I was impressed with the outline set out by the PTFC trust and their vision for the future. From the Trust, Jacqui Low, Foster Evans, Ian Maxwell and Pauline Graham were in attendance.

FT's post earlier in the thread is a good summary on the key issues discussed on the night. I'll try and add to it.

The meeting discussed the results of the fans survey which was distributed online back in July. They were impressed with the amount of fans who completed the survey, which I think was 735. The survey captured such aspects from the match day experience, the average age group in the support and season tickets. They emphasised the importance of having such data gathered from the survey to analyse and also to attempt to improve or rectify certain issues. For example, the Club have been in dialogue with the caterers. Ian Maxwell mentioned discussions with the caterers to offer a kids meal deal type offer and to add soup to the regular menu too. They recognised more can be done in that regard.

Our deal with TTL and Joma has been extended. This season was our last in the four year deal we signed in summer 2013. Like FT said previously, we will have three shirts to choose from to be our home shirt next season. I asked Ian Maxwell if there would be any flexibility in a unique shirt design (referencing our puma purple away shirt 2012/13). He said there wouldn't be (not through choice), so it will be three Joma templates most likely. The Trust referenced Morton choosing their home shirt this season and felt this was important to get the fans engaged and involved, which is the Trust's primary objective.

It was acknowledged that communication and engagement with the fans over the last few years via social media, E-mails and Jagzone have improved drastically to what they were before but they are looking to improve all the time. The poor attendance of the meeting was highlighted and I mentioned that the meeting was poorly advertised, despite its re-arrangement to midweek from a Saturday. I put it to them that WeAreThistle forum is a platform they should be utilising for fan engagement and communication. As, although FT brought up details of the meeting in this thread before it happened, you wouldn't know by the title of this thread.

Both previous and current work at strengthening ties in the local community by the PT community trust was positive to listen to. Jacqui Low mentioned that she believed the Club had the smallest office staff in the League. This was reflected by the fact one person at one stage was doing the admin for both the day to day running of the Club and the PT community trust. That has lead to the communication in some regards to suffer, that is something they are keen to address.

RE: City End development. It was raised at the very end and only briefly. There is still no movement to any development because of the state of the market currently. Any development will have Club facilities included in it and a "commitment" to a fourth stand. I put forward, if any development were to occur in the near future, whether or not the PTFC trust would have any consultation with the investors and developers in how any potential stand/safe standing would look like like. They said, as the biggest shareholder in the Club, we the fans would. That is for another day.

The PTFC trust mentioned using the winter break to properly promote and advertise the next meeting which will be held before the Accies home game on February 18th. An idea was brought up to broadcast the meeting live on JagZone or at least to record it and make it available for fans who can't attend.

Edited by northernsoul

To respond to a couple of points which have been made between my post and Northensoul's excellent summary.

There were 10 fans who attended plus the 4 people from the Trust Board so 14 overall - apologies if my initial post did not make that clear.

In terms of the Trust being a decision making or consultative group I would say that it is there to better inform the decisions the club makes. The fact they are discussing the food options with the franchise who run the kiosks was based on info which came from the survey. The next home kit will be picked by the fans and that has come from it being brought up through the trust. So whilst it might not actually make the final decision in each situation it can certainly shape the process and the more people who are involved the more weight that gives it.