Archie Offski?

Lindau

Happy days....take Azeez with you.

Need a manager who has a plan B, plays attacking football and never got a coaching badge at Largs.

McNamara build a team that Archie got the credit for.....In the end by dropping himself and playing Dowie won the league..

Bottom feeders with no prospect of anything better, not much of a CV. were it not for the upheavals of other teams we certainly would not have lasted as long. And don't kid yourself, Arch with Scooby Doo buggered off to Dundee Utd for the bright lights as well.

We are where we are, its time to move on. No more negative rubbish. Onwards and Upwards

Lets face it, Archie only has to look at how McNamara's career turned out going to a team that was doomed. He could go down and last 12 to 18 months and find himself without a job. He is bullet proof here and potentially has a job for life. Even if he took us down folk on here would still laud him as our greatest manager of all time. The timing of it all is terrible, we have a big 2 weeks ahead and the focus must be on that.

• Like 1

Happy days....take Azeez with you.

Need a manager who has a plan B, plays attacking football and never got a coaching badge at Largs.

McNamara build a team that Archie got the credit for.....In the end by dropping himself and playing Dowie won the league..

Bottom feeders with no prospect of anything better, not much of a CV. were it not for the upheavals of other teams we certainly would not have lasted as long. And don't kid yourself, Arch with Scooby Doo buggered off to Dundee Utd for the bright lights as well.

We are where we are, its time to move on. No more negative rubbish. Onwards and Upwards

So did McNamara build the team that has kept us up for the last three years and missed a top 6 finish by one goal last season? If another firm offered me substantially more to do the same job as I am doing just now, would I knock it back to stay loyal to my current employers? Gimme a break. Dundee Und will have offered him far better wages than Thistle. We have never finished in a play off position so I don't know where you get the "we wouldn't have lasted so long were it not for the upheavals at other clubs" Archie has his faults, like every other manager, but if he leaves quite a few on here that clearly have no time for him could be in for a reality check. Be careful what you wish for....there are plenty of Dick Campbell's out there looking for a job!

• Like 1

I have to say that I am in 2 minds about this one. First of all, Archie owes us nothing. He has been an excellent servant to the club and if he thinks that Shrewsbury Town is a move that will enhance his career then he deserves the chance to go for it. I like Archie as a manager. He doesn't give out all of that manager bullshit, or rubbish other clubs and players. He is very considered in his comments to the press and conducts himself with great dignity. He has been a very safe pair of hands, keeping us in the Premiership and I have absolutely no doubt that he will do the same again.

That said, I'm not convinced that he is the man to take us to the next level, top 6/europe. There are a couple of areas which he has failed to address in his time with us, late goals conceded and a regular scoring striker. Maybe it is time to role the dice and bring in some fresh thinking. It has to be said that it would be a roll of the dice as with the resources at Thistle, it could easily go very wrong. There is no room for error in this league and no crystal ball to say what a new manager would do.

Some of the points made above remind me of the dying days of Alan Curbishley at Charlton - many fans saying he had taken them as far as he could. They were 7th in the EPL. That proved to be correct with every successive manager thereafter taking them further and further down the league structure.

Archie, who like any manager is not without his faults, has improved our league position for four consecutive seasons so there is no evidence he won't do so again

Hopefully with such an exciting crop of youngsters coming through and a great board backing him he will stay. The stubbornly low attendances must be a push factor though

Edited by Stephen1876
  • Like 5

Archie like all other managers is leaving the only question is when

Clearly the club and I would suggest most of the supporters don't want him to leave therefore it will be his choice

The key factors will be the situation at shrewsbury and the financial rewards and that's for him to decide

If he leaves now he will be remembered as a very successful manger at the club

• Like 2

on what basis do some jags fans think we have some kind of right to be top 6 and pushing for Europe. I've followed thistle for 33 years and it's not exactly been our 'expected' position.

"We have no right" wins Thistle fan cliche bingo today. Loser talk. The "we know our place" attitude was written all over our last visit to Ibrox.

It's not wrong to have higher ambitions than relegation struggles versus Hamilton. It's pointless being involved in professional, competitive sport unless you are always striving to do better.

Edited by milhouse
  • Like 3

I don't think anyone is saying it is a right, certainly I'm not, It should though be our next target for progression

Progression gets harder and harder as we are finding out this season, a season in which our efforts aren't being helped any by a lengthy, and potentially lengthening, injury list.

I desperately hope that Archie remains as our manager but we perhaps need to take a step back and take as dispassionate look at our Club as we can and try to view it from an ambitious young manager's perspective.

We are enjoying our longest unbroken run in the top flight since the 1990s and prior to that the late 70s and early 80s. For a whole generation of Thistle fans this has been as good as it has been. Yet the turnout of Thistle fans at home games remains around the 2,500 mark. With tight budget controls the manager's job is always going to be to not finish lower than 10th. Okay we might finish top 6 on occasion or even win a trophy - St Johnstone are the yardstick in that respect - but at this level we are a small club and chances are at some stage the manager won't manage to finish no lower than 10th. Chances are we will at some stage be relegated. Even if that doesn't happen where does he go in Scotland to progress his career. Hearts? Aberdeen? Finish 3rd or 4th rather than 9th or 10th?

If relegation follows then there's not going to be a queue to poach a relegated manager. If he leaves now Archie would leave a highly successful manager despite what any flat earth believer might tell you. He would be going to a presently struggling club granted but Burton Albion are in the Championship and I don't see why similar couldn't be a long term ambition for Shrewsbury. He might not achieve that but if he is successful there then he wouldn't be short of suitors in bigger English clubs. If he is offered the post it seems a no brainer to me to accept it.

Which would leave us scrambling about to find a new manager when there is no obvious candidate inside or outside the club. Troubling times.

• Like 3

Think it answers one question though, Archie will go if the deal is right.

Was gutted when McCall left, gutted when McNamara left and will be gutted if Archie leaves, however we will regroup and get on with it as per when the other two managers left. Still hope he decides against the move though!!

Similar to what I said last night Tom. Yip, they are struggling but if he goes and keeps them up, bigger English clubs will take note. Re the no obvious candidate wonder if the club would consider promoting Shaggy with Scott McKenzie as his deputy. They know how the club runs, but they certainly wouldn't be coming into the job at a thriving time. Guess we will know in the next day or so!

Edited by Lindau

Was gutted when McCall left, gutted when McNamara left and will be gutted if Archie leaves, however we will regroup and get on with it as per when the other two managers left. Still hope he decides against the move though!!

The club were 'lucky' (they still had to make the appointments after all) when McCall left that in McNamara they had a senior pro to step into the role and when he left they had Archie, senior pro and on the coaching staff, there to step in.

That isn't the case now. Assuming Shaggy were to go with him it would need to be an outside appointment unless they went with Scott McKenzie even as a caretaker. A managerial appointment is always a gamble but more so when there is no obvious candidate and when the price of getting it wrong is potentially very severe.