Robert Watson

Lindau

20 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

Should also thank Lindau who started this thread.

I will make a short guest appearance just to respond. Thanks AJ.   What a brilliant plaque to remember Roberts short, but eventful life.  A fantastic effort from everyone involved. 

• Like 3

On 21/03/2018 at 7:48 PM, Auld Jag said:

The memorial plaque was put in place today in the north stand.We would like to thank  Bowen Boys who did a last jag standing to help raise money and also Digger who took a collection at the Ross County game last season.We would like to thank Ian Maxwell who helped getting the ok from Thistle.Last but not least we would like to thank everybody who donated any  money to get this done. I know that Robert would be surprised that this has been done in his honour as he was a very modest young man.I hope as many fans as possible come along and see the plaque and  say hello as well.We have about £600 left(the plague was £250 from Garner Memorials in Paisley) if anybody has an idea what to spend that on I am open to suggestions. An idea I had was to sponsor a player or 2 next season in Roberts memory and have a competition on the forum and the winner or winners get the top at the end of next season.

memorial 003.JPG

A splendid plaque, Rab's looking good there.

Glad to see there's no mention that he played for Clyde!

Weel done a'bdy.  :thumbsup2:

21 hours ago, Auld Jag said:

If you are in the north stand come and say hello.

I will do AJ. For the first time since the Morton game I will be in the JHS for the Killie game as I am meeting a few long lost mates and they have ST for JHS. Will be back in the North for the first home split game. Will look out for you!

• Like 1

On ‎23‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 1:41 PM, The Jukebox Rebel said:

A splendid plaque, Rab's looking good there.

Glad to see there's no mention that he played for Clyde!

Weel done a'bdy.  :thumbsup2:

The full picture is of Robert with his runners up medal when the Clyde wheelchair football team finished runners up in the league.It was taken April 2014 at Ravenscraig sports centre Motherwell.The team had a squad of 7 and 4 of them are no longer with us.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:24 AM, Sinistar said:

The plaque is great AJ and I'm really glad you chose to place it in the North Stand.

I think it is a wonderful idea to sponsor a player in Robert's name next season and to hold a competition for the strip.

Can I suggest that the Jags fans who take part in the competition contribute towards it and the money raised is used to sponsor another player for Robert the following season?

I would be happy to pledge to this and I'm sure others would too. Would be nice to see Robert's name in every match program.

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 10:41 AM, lady-isobel-barnett said:

It's all been said. I'd just like to echo previous posts.

I particularly like the gist of Sinistar's suggestion. Instead of using up the remaining funds we could run the player sponsor over two years (maybe even longer?). Fans/posters again donate with any slack, if it occurred, underwritten by the fund. 

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 11:59 AM, sandy said:

Ditto to Sinistar and LIB.

Thanks to everybody who suggested running a competition in Roberts name but for participants to pay to enter it.If everybody is ok we would like to go with the original idea and for the remaining money of £605 from the memorial collection to pay for it.We will see how much sponsorship deals are next season and take it from there.We feel that since the money was raised to pay for a permanent memorial in Roberts name and that has been done.We now have this money left over and if we have this free competition somebody will get a Thistle top,Roberts name will be in the programme and Thistle will get the money for the sponsorship deal.We hope that everybody agrees.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, BowenBoys said:

See you there AJ.

Will do BB.Lets hope we can start a run of victories for the Jags.This is the only website I go on,if anybody else goes on any other Thistle related media please let people know about the plaque.

Edited by Auld Jag

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The season just finished was a difficult one for every Thistle supporter, as the outcome was not one we would have wanted or at the beginning of the season one we would have expected.For myself it was the first time in more than 20 years I attended every game on my own.Even if Robert was going to respite he would always try and make sure he did not miss a Thistle game,although over the years he did miss a few.So it was a really difficult season for me from a personal point of view.I would like to say that having the memorial plaque at Firhill does help because although Robert is not there in body it does seem as if he is with me(and Thistle) in spirit. I would also like to thank Bowen Boys and Partick the dog who I met at a number of the games.Also thanks to Elevenone and Sinistar who also came over to say hello.I hope to meet more fans in the coming seasons  as I will be standing in my usual spot in the John Lambie stand.I will also be looking to sponsor some players in the coming season/s and will run a competition for the tops .As I have said before we have £600 remaining from the money raised for the plaque and this is what we will use to pay for the sponsorship.Once we have more details on this I will post again.

Edited by Auld Jag
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

I will be contacting Firhill with regard to the sponsorship of players tops in the next week or so. After having a discussion with Phil aka Bowen Boys we have agreed that one of the tops will be a prize in the World Cup competition that BB is running.It is free to enter and you could be the proud owner of a Thistle top at the end of 2018/19 season.So if you haven't already entered,have a go you have nothing to lose.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎26‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 7:17 PM, Auld Jag said:

Thanks to everybody who suggested running a competition in Roberts name but for participants to pay to enter it.If everybody is ok we would like to go with the original idea and for the remaining money of £605 from the memorial collection to pay for it.We will see how much sponsorship deals are next season and take it from there.We feel that since the money was raised to pay for a permanent memorial in Roberts name and that has been done.We now have this money left over and if we have this free competition somebody will get a Thistle top,Roberts name will be in the programme and Thistle will get the money for the sponsorship deal.We hope that everybody agrees.

We have now got the following sponsorships in place.Shea Gordon standard home top,Kris Doolan boots,We have asked for these in memory of Robert Watson  15/7/85 - 24/3/17. Blair Spittal and Jack Storer both away standard top.We have asked for wearethistle forum against these. We shall be offering Blair's or Jack's away top to the winner of Bowen Boys world cup competition.The remaining  tops and Dools worn out (hopefully) boots will be up for grabs in free to enter competitions during the new season.

• Like 6

On ‎04‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 7:54 PM, Auld Jag said:

We have now got the following sponsorships in place.Shea Gordon standard home top,Kris Doolan boots,We have asked for these in memory of Robert Watson  15/7/85 - 24/3/17. Blair Spittal and Jack Storer both away standard top.We have asked for wearethistle forum against these. We shall be offering Blair's or Jack's away top to the winner of Bowen Boys world cup competition.The remaining  tops and Dools worn out (hopefully) boots will be up for grabs in free to enter competitions during the new season.

Cant do a link but all of the sponsorships are now on the official site.If you click on the first team for this season  and click on the above players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Again both truly incredible and inspirational from you AJ - well done again for this

Thanks TL. But most of all thanks to everybody who has helped to make this happen.Robert would be so surprised at what has been done and said in his memory.He did a lot for others but never expected anything in return.He was a very modest young man.

• Like 6

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Semi Nurainen said:

Great stuff, AJ.

Puts our rantings about a mere game of football completely into perspective.

Thanks SN. Yes there are more important things than football. But Thistle is still an important part in my life, as it has been for over 55 years.