6 Degrees Of Separation

BowenBoys

Here's a topic for International break week.

Can you prove the 6 degrees of separation theory by linking yourself to a Jags player, past or present?

Kris Doolan's wife's uncle's wife goes to the same knitting club as the mother of a friend of mine.

That's 3 (I think!) degrees.

https://en.wikipedia...s_of_separation

can't get to six...

Lindsay Hamilton is sitting 3 yards away from me in work.

I used to work beside Grant Tierney.

An ex work colleague is best mates with Alan Dinnie, I met him and took him to Kenny Arthur's testimonial swally in the Aitken Suite.

Another ex colleague is best pals with Chico and his brother.

I went to school with and played in the same football team as Ricky Gillies.

An ex work colleague drinks in the same pub as Jordan McMillan and Derek Lyle. :happy2:

I helped Will Snowden with his Final Home Electricity bill when he left the club.

This thread has quickly become an obscure claim to fame thread.

Edited by potty trained

Convoluted but :

Brian is the starter at my golf course

Brian has a fellow shift worker David (the Killie fan).

David used to work in the same EAC Leisure office as Jackie.

Jackie's granddaughter is called Darcy.

Darcy's mum is called Claire.

And Claire is married to the guy who will soon (very soon please) pass the one hundred goals scored for PTFC.

Trivia about KD. He has two Higher Geography passes. (And yes I cheated, a lot, since I taught him from age 14)

• Like 1

I once went to the odeon film centre with my friend , alan rough, jim Docherty and eddie mcculloch. Eddie ran sighthill ams ,who I think were a thistle nursery team at that time [70s].

Roughy and my friend played with sighthill, but not at the same time. Budgie mcghee works for the same company as myself as did chris Erskine. My niece is friends with archie,s wife.

My friend who I have not seen for many years is the owner of thistle bloodstock, by the way.

Edited by mulguy jag

I used to coach Ian Maxwell when he played at U14/U15 level before joining Queens Park

I used to deliver Joey Pathaks newspaper

I was coached at boys club level by Joe Gaughan, father of Kevin Gaughan

My old neighbour was best pals with Jim Melrose, he used to take me to games where we had complimentary boardroom passes

There's loads more, which is the advantage of supporting a club where the players are grounded rather than overpaid 'superstars'

Does anyone know how the degrees of separation thing works? Cos I don't. Is it the gap that is a degree?

For instance, in my example - Kris Doolan's wife's uncle's wife goes to the same knitting club as the mother of a friend of mine.

If we assume that Kris's wife's uncle's wife is known to Kris and my friends mother is known to me, is that one degree of separation? The gap being between the wife in the first instance and the mother in the second.

Does anyone know? Or care?

Sat on a train going up to an Aberdeen away game - late 70s or thereabouts

In the opposite block of four seats is Harry Johnston - going to Montrose to whence he had returned after signing for us from Montrose

Fast forward 30+ years and son has a Mr Johnston as his PE teacher

Ask son to ask Mr Johnston why he only scored for us against the (now defunct) Glasgow Rangers (well 2 out of his 3 goals for the club)

Son duly asks said teacher - Mr Johnston just smiled apparently

Another that I am a bit ashamed of - and isn't really valid as it isn't 6 degrees of anything:

10 year old school kid waiting at bus stop

Notices a familiar looking student walking from his University

Irritating 10 year old shouts "Denis!" from a distance towards poor unsuspecting student

Student looks up - a bit disconcerted - after all he is playing for a team in the 2nd division!!

10 year old school brat doesn't let on it was him

Sorry!! :-(

Does anyone know how the degrees of separation thing works? Cos I don't. Is it the gap that is a degree? For instance, in my example - Kris Doolan's wife's uncle's wife goes to the same knitting club as the mother of a friend of mine. If we assume that Kris's wife's uncle's wife is known to Kris and my friends mother is known to me, is that one degree of separation? The gap being between the wife in the first instance and the mother in the second. Does anyone know? Or care?

end of your first line (and last sentence) is pretty accurate. It is of course extremely tenious in many cases. Therein lies the fun

To be topical, I could argue I know a guy living in the village on Lewis who knows who stays in the house that Donald Trump's mother lived. The owner now knows DT so I am connected by 3 degrees...maybe I shouldn't admit that!!!

Be back with my jaggy ones later.

BTW do any of the Hebridean Jags know the origin of the house in Gress called "Firhill" which long had yellow, red & black paint on the gateposts?

Does anyone know how the degrees of separation thing works? Cos I don't. Is it the gap that is a degree?

For instance, in my example - Kris Doolan's wife's uncle's wife goes to the same knitting club as the mother of a friend of mine.

If we assume that Kris's wife's uncle's wife is known to Kris and my friends mother is known to me, is that one degree of separation? The gap being between the wife in the first instance and the mother in the second.

Does anyone know? Or care?

Each connection is a degree.

1 Kris Doolan has a wife

2 his wife has an uncle

3 his uncle is married

4 his wife goes to a knitting club with another woman

5 that woman has a son

6 that guy is your pal.

You could cut it down a little by saying Kris Doolan's uncle in law's wife goes to the same knitting club as a woman you know. That's 4.

The idea of six degrees of separation is that it will always be six or less. For example I got served in Greaves by David McCallum (and also served him years later at the bar in Hampden when he was a coach there). That's one degree. If I knew potty trained I would be 2 steps away from a tonne of thistle players. Etc etc.

How did you start this without understanding it?!