Lindsay>>Leeds?

angry gaz

Agree with PT's post.

We need to be realistic and talk of holding English clubs to ransom is extremely naive and is not what will happen if any of them want Liam.

Personally I would be happy to see a deal being done that allows him to remain with us till the end of the season.

Patterson may well have missed out on a big money move, but a bit closer to home and maybe not at the same level Bannigan also missed out last season.

Although we have Lindsay on a contract, are we really going to stand in the way if he gets an offer. Do we want a player demotivated on the pitch

Patterson may well have missed out on a big money move, but a bit closer to home and maybe not at the same level Bannigan also missed out last season.

Although we have Lindsay on a contract, are we really going to stand in the way if he gets an offer. Do we want a player demotivated on the pitch

Can't see us ever standing in a players way if a half decent move comes up. As long as we get the price the club is looking for, he will be off. We were talking in the Strathmore last night if the Weirs would be entitled to anything if any of the Dev squad went for big prices. They are funding most of it after all. Hopefully it would just fund the Dev squad for a few more years and enable us to bring in a replacement centre back

Edited by Lindau

I agree with Lindau. If we can gain a reputation for giving young players to develop and not standing in their way if an acceptable offer comes in, it will almost become a self perpetuating thing with other young talent willing to come to Firhill.

The caveat would be that the offer would have to be one which benefitted the club and allowed future investment in youth development.

I see it as the way forward for us. It would be extremely frustrating if we had a similar strategy to Ross County, discarding half a team at every transfer window.

• Like 1

Agree with PT's post. We need to be realistic and talk of holding English clubs to ransom is extremely naive and is not what will happen if any of them want Liam. Personally I would be happy to see a deal being done that allows him to remain with us till the end of the season.

Talk of millions may be silly but he is on an extended contract for another 2 years so money will have to change hands. Championship clubs though poor compared to EPL are rich compared to SPFL. If there is genuine interest - and that's always a big IF as rumours can start just because a players is one of many who are being looked at - then I would reckon a few hundred grand would be reasonable with much more than that only likely if 2 or more clubs have a real interest.

The main things would be if he does go, to try to get him loaned back until season end and to have sell-on clauses to make sure we get a percentage if he progresses and later gets a really big transfer deal.

I agree with Lindau. If we can gain a reputation for giving young players to develop and not standing in their way if an acceptable offer comes in, it will almost become a self perpetuating thing with other young talent willing to come to Firhill. The caveat would be that the offer would have to be one which benefitted the club and allowed future investment in youth development. I see it as the way forward for us. It would be extremely frustrating if we had a similar strategy to Ross County, discarding half a team at every transfer window.

No danger at the moment. This is the current state of players signed up for next season (and we won't be letting any go if we stay up):

Keepers

Cerny (2018) Scully (2018)

Defenders

Booth (2018) Devine (2018) Dumbya (2018) Lindsay (2019) Barton (2019)

Midfield

Bannigan (2018) Edwards (2018) Erskine (2019) Lawless (2018) Osman (2018)

Forwards

Azeez (2018) Doolan (2019) Nisbet (2018)

That's already quite a decent squad with Welsh and Elliot likely not to be difficult to deal with if we want to re-sign them..

I would say a fee of around 500k would be realistic if going south. Loaned back til the end of the season & a sell on clause of 20% or so would be good business.

It is quite unbelievable that he has not yet got a Scotland u-21 cap or even been called up to a squad. He's been a regular for us the last 2 seasons, one of our best players over that time but unknowns who are either on loan at lower league clubs or never made a 1st team appearance in their lives are continually picked. Bit of a joke & not a good reflection on the Scottish youth set up at all that a consistent & regular young performer in the top league in Scotland can't get a sniff of the youth squad.

• Like 2

thats us kept a clean sheet in the last 135/180 mins and lindsay hasn't played, I'd get shot of him right away! I think about 150-200k would be the highest we would turn down, folk quoting 500k - 1 million are aff their heids.dunno how west ham paid as much for Hendrie but that will never happen with us.

Given the amount of money sloshing about down south, I am a tad astonished that folk here have a starting point around the half million. jags on tour must be a buyer! Given their wealth, I would think that the starting figure should be around two or three million quid. Perhaps the fact that he also scores goals should add a bit to his worth?

Personally, I'd prefer it if the lad played out his entire career with us. Perhaps we could get Mr Doolan to talk to him?

thats us kept a clean sheet in the last 135/180 mins and lindsay hasn't played, I'd get shot of him right away! I think about 150-200k would be the highest we would turn down, folk quoting 500k - 1 million are aff their heids.dunno how west ham paid as much for Hendrie but that will never happen with us.

And why do you think that? He is under contract for another 2.5 years, he is one of the few up and coming central defenders in Scottish football, I would imagine he is the highest scoring central defender in Scottish football, he is reportedly being chased by 3/4 clubs and he has the height, build and power for his position. He still has lots to learn, but you are paying for the undoubted potential that he has shown and if the club accept £150,000 they are off their heads

Edited by Lindau

It's no secret that I am not Lindsay's biggest fan( prone to too many howlers), but if there are,as Lindau says 3 or 4 clubs chasing him then to accept as little as 200k then it would be a total sell out from the board. In any case I am sure that Archibald would keep the board abreast of the minimum bid to accept.

While we are on this subject, how much did we get off Wigan for Jack Hendry, who played 4 first team games in a jags jersey. Anything from £100,000- £250,000 has been mentioned. Why would we accept £125,000 -£150,000 for a young guy that is a first team regular, getting better defensively with the experience he is gaining by playing every week and is Scotland's top scoring central defender?

Edited by Lindau

Lindsay has signed a couple of new contracts over the not too distant past.

If his agent had any sense these will probably have contained a release clause.

If the club had any sense they would have insisted the release clause was fairly hefty.

A bidding war would obviously help drive the price up but I think a few are getting carried away talking millions!

Yes the clubs down South have huge pots of cash to play with but they don't usually spend it all up here. The Scottish league is still a place they can pick up decent talent for fairly cheap prices.

Personally, I don't think Lindsay will go. If his form keeps up and he keeps scoring the odd goal then perhaps he'll be off in the summer.

jags on tour,

You are talking chump change there. The man is worth at least a few million quid, and, unless you were trying to be amusing, I'd have thought you were just playing the naivety card. Would you agree that keeping him would be a better option?

You are both equally wide of the mark.

Yes he does have a bit of time left on his contract. If it was up at the end of this season we would probably get nothing for him. He has also got a good number of top flight games under his belt.

But those facts are mediated by the size of the club he is playing for and the level of the games that he has played in. Add to that he never made it in to the Scotland U21 squad, which would have certainly added some value. The SPFL is a bit of a joke down south and they see it as a level below English League 1 when you take out the old firm. Therefore signing someone like Liam still represents a pretty big risk and he probably won't be regarded as someone who can step straight in to a championship side down there. He has had a few howlers against better sides, that is undeniable and the jury is still out on whether he can be anything more than a bottom 6 SPFL premier league player.

Edited by ian_mac

You are both equally wide of the mark.

Yes he does have a bit of time left on his contract. If it was up at the end of this season we would probably get nothing for him. He has also got a good number of top flight games under his belt.

But those facts are mediated by the size of the club he is playing for and the level of the games that he has played in. Add to that he never made it in to the Scotland U21 squad, which would have certainly added some value. The SPFL is a bit of a joke down south and they see it as a level below English League 1 when you take out the old firm. Therefore signing someone like Liam still represents a pretty big risk and he probably won't be regarded as someone who can step straight in to a championship side down there. He has had a few howlers against better sides, that is undeniable and the jury is still out on whether he can be anything more than a bottom 6 SPFL premier league player.

Can we take it from that that you are not his agent?

Accies seem to get good money for not such great players. Besides Hendrie, they got £1M for Tony Andreu who is on loan at Tannadice.

I agree with much of Iain's post. A lot of recent Scottish exports have failed to cut it: Hemmings and Greg Stewart have bombed in the EFL so far as did Stevie May before them. McArthur, McCarthy and Robertson all made a big impact though.

I do find it funny that Liam Lindsay has been slaughtered on here yet there are now people demanding we hold out for millions in a transfer fee.

• Like 1

In August 1983 we played a pre-season friendly against Leeds Utd preparing for our second attempt to return to the premier league after relegation. We beat them 2-0 - http://partickthistl...s+United%2C+2-0

Mo Johnson scored both our goals. At 20 years old he'd had two seasons in our first team, scoring 9 goals in the top flight and 21 in the first div. He went on to score 10 goals in the first 14 games of our campaign, which had us sitting pretty as strong title contenders. Watford swooped and signed him for £200,000 in November.

Watford "...were struggling against relegation from the First Division a season after finishing second. His arrival revived their season as they recovered well to finish mid table, as he scored 20 goals in just 29 league games. He also helped them reach their first ever F.A. cup final..." * The previous year Watford's Luther Blisset was the league's top scorer with 27 goals in 41 appearances which earned him and Watford a £1m transfer to A.C. Milan in june '83.

Thistle, without Johnson's fire power, finished the season 3rd, 5 points off a guaranteed promotion in 2nd place. It took us 8 years to work our way back to the top flight.

£200,000 for MoJo in 1983 was arguably, on the face of it, a fair price for a young talented player, but in hindsight there is no question who did best out of the deal. Thistle maybe did not make the best out of the cash but Watford "won a watch".

I'm not equating Liam to Mo Johnson. Nor am I suggesting 1983's £200k necessarily translates to £1m at today's prices. The game has moved on and Scottish and English leagues have progressed at different paces with different opportunities and results. However, there are comparisons to be made, lessons to be learned and a very reasonable argument to be made that investment in Liam's future services and fair compensation for developing them thus far and losing out on the result should be thoroughly considered when negotiating and evaluating a satisfactory deal for all effected by a voluntary change.

I don't know the details of Liam's current contract, I don't know what will be written into any agreement which might rescind it, but if it does not respect our investment in him and offer some protection against the potential serious consequences of losing his services, we need to hire lawyers, and businessmen who will robustly defend our interests rather than merely meet our legal obligations.

I'm not advocating for Jim Maclean style, ball and chain type, treatment of players but neither should we allow our crop of talent to be plundered. Yeah, we are a "selling club", but we must be steadfast if we are ever to be a profitable, enduring and successful one. I'm not expecting us to be waving Liam off with a cheque for £1m in our hands but neither should we turn our backs on a 4 year relationship for a quick buck saying "thanks for the memories". We cannot guarantee Liam is a "golden egg", but let's not allow ourselves to be the gutted goose.

* from wikipedia

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz

When thinking of a potential fee you have to consider how much, Leeds, or anyone else wants him.

Do they want him to walk into their first team or do they see him as potential and worth a punt in a cheap market,

If the former then great especially if others are interested. If the latter then nobody is likely to pay too much or get involved in a bidding war.

When thinking of a potential fee you have to consider how much, Leeds, or anyone else wants him. Do they want him to walk into their first team or do they see him as potential and worth a punt in a cheap market, If the former then great especially if others are interested. If the latter then nobody is likely to pay too much or get involved in a bidding war.

True but to a lot of these Championship sides a few hundred grand is peanuts. While a million or more may be over optimistic a club like Leeds would easily pay 6 figures on "a punt".

True but to a lot of these Championship sides a few hundred grand is peanuts. While a million or more may be over optimistic a club like Leeds would easily pay 6 figures on "a punt".

Would be amazed if we got a million for Liam. Anything between £300,000 to £400,000 with add ons for future transfer moves would be pretty good business and even though we are debt free, realistically the club could not turn down that type of money. A loan back for the rest of the season would be good business as well.