Tv Games

stuart_adam

Is it just me being paranoid, but surely Ross County's game v Celtic being played on 16th April on TV which is the last game before the split gives them an advantage 're the result they may need to get into top six.

Everyone else plays on Sat 15th, therefore all other games will be complete before County play Celtic. I know we might say they are playing Celtic and will probably lose, however chances are Celtic will have won the league by then which puts a different slant on things.

Like I said at the start its maybe just me being paranoid!!!

Is it just me being paranoid, but surely Ross County's game v Celtic being played on 16th April on TV which is the last game before the split gives them an advantage 're the result they may need to get into top six.

Everyone else plays on Sat 15th, therefore all other games will be complete before County play Celtic. I know we might say they are playing Celtic and will probably lose, however chances are Celtic will have won the league by then which puts a different slant on things.

We'll be comfortably into top 6 by then anyway, so if they join us it means a potential away day to Dingwall. ;)

As for no TV game for us, wouldn't be too disappointed and hopefully means more fans at the ground... Well won't hold my breath on that.

No, that's a valid point, tho' part of me is saying anything that makes this ridiculous split more authenticated (like all kicking off at the same time) should be avoided. It's better to be seen for what it is, an inane tool to ensure the ugly sisters get their 4 league games per season.

• Like 1

No, that's a valid point, tho' part of me is saying anything that makes this ridiculous split more authenticated (like all kicking off at the same time) should be avoided. It's better to be seen for what it is, an inane tool to ensure the ugly sisters get their 4 league games per season.

Absolutely spot on. Stupid.

Wrong game. The sellout was late 80's just after the stadium opened. 20 years ago we did ok until about Nov when St J turned us over 4-0 at Firhill then it all went downhill rapidl at the time.

I believe you are correct Jaggy - the sellout was in 89-90 (?), a 2-1 game when Chic scored at the end and Jim Dempsey was rightly red carded for a horrid challenge. It was the game of the day on Sportscene that evening which was unusual in itself.

Sadly, our results against St J in sason 96-97 outwith the Sky game were 0-4, 0-2 and 0-4.

Edited by Barney Rubble

I believe you are correct Jaggy - the sellout was in 89-90 (?), a 2-1 game when Chic scored at the end and Jim Dempsey was rightly red carded for a horrid challenge. It was the game of the day on Sportscene that evening which was unusual in itself.

Sadly, our results against St J in sason 96-97 outwith the Sky game were 0-4, 0-2 and 0-4.

My recollection is that after a slow start (not surprising after the traumatic relegation of the season before), we had put together a run of 5 wins in a row. We were challenging top placed St Johnstone and all set for a showdown on a Saturday afternoon at Firhill, when St Johnstone managed to postpone the game because one player had been called up for an international.

This drained all the momentum from the Thistle juggernaut. The game against St Johnstone was re-scheduled for a snowy midweek night. Although it seems incredible in retrospect (perhaps someone can correct me), my memory is that despite us being the home team, half of our players were delayed by transport difficulties and did not turn up in time. We were forced to put out a weakened side and were duly demolished 0-4 by the rampant Perthites.

Edited by partickthedog

My apologies in advance for highlighting that today is the 20th anniversary of one of the worst games ever covered by Sky - St Johnstone 0 Thistle 0.

A game that was so pitifully awful it could have had football permanently banned.

Aw man, I took a colleague to that game....

He's never been back to a football match since.

My recollection is that after a slow start (not surprising after the traumatic relegation of the season before), we had put together a run of 5 wins in a row. We were challenging top placed St Johnstone and all set for a showdown on a Saturday afternoon at Firhill, when St Johnstone managed to postpone the game because one player had been called up for an international.

This drained all the momentum from the Thistle juggernaut. The game against St Johnstone was re-scheduled for a snowy midweek night. Although it seems incredible in retrospect (perhaps someone can correct me), my memory is that despite us being the home team, half of our players were delayed by transport difficulties and did not turn up in time. We were forced to put out a weakened side and were duly demolished 0-4 by the rampant Perthites.

Correct, and it enraged me at the time. It was Calum Davidson called up for the Under 21's iirc

• 2 weeks later...

I've still got an unwatched VHS of that game somewhere. I got it taped for me at the pub then went to the game. I genuinely have no recollection of the game apart from the score line. Did anything actually happen?

No.

But the club probably made 60 grand out of it.

By quite some distance it was the worst televised game in history, and while there have been a fair few since to challenge that 'accolade', none have come close to overcoming it.