Calvin Zola

javeajag

I'm sure it's untrue. Saw Zola play for us against Aberdeen and he was worse than hopeless. And at 32, he's not getting any younger. 3 goals in 4 years is quite telling.

Surely the other way round .. he played for Aberdeen. Looking at his stats, he did OK when playing at a lower level but as soon as he moved up a bit the goals dried up.

One of the worst forwards I've seen in a Jags shirt in the last ten years was Lucas Akins. Clearly couldn't hack it in the old first division and I'd have said at the time he'd have struggled in our third tier. Akins has gone on to play well over 200 games in England and is currently playing in the Championship.

Akins I think was a 20 year old when we had him for that short spell. Today I imagine only two clubs in Scotland could afford to sign him these days. OK, Ade is 3 year older than Akins was when on loan to us but Azeez is still young and in any case way ahead in development. Because Azeez is termed a striker folk are expecting to see an immediate return in way of goals. That's natural but just because he's not doing the business at the moment doesn't mean he won't in the future. Time and resources may dictate whether any success the lad has is with us.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

One of the worst forwards I've seen in a Jags shirt in the last ten years was Lucas Akins. Clearly couldn't hack it in the old first division and I'd have said at the time he'd have struggled in our third tier. Akins has gone on to play well over 200 games in England and is currently playing in the Championship.

One thing I will say in his defence is that he was a trier. Wasn't a very good player for us, but he certainly wasn't lazy. I had a friend who played at Hamilton Accies at the time who said that he had great potential simply because of his work rate. I obviously dismissed his observation, but have been proven wrong.