Player Of The Year Event 2017

Fawlty Towers

Up till a few weeks ago my PotY would've been looking an easy choice, Sean Welsh. Lately Big Liam has been very impressive and if we continue winning games with a narrow margin I reckon much will be down to his continued great form. It does tho' look that electing a PotY this season isn't going to be plain sailing and that's gotta be a good problem.

Starts at 2.30pm but not sure how long it lasts.

I take it as it starts at 2.30pm that it is a more refined affair. Especially as there will be the kids awards for the Weir Academy and all their parents will be there etc.

A lot different from the past when it was just an evening booze-a-thon.

But I guess the question is relevant. Does the day carry on into the night when those who haven,t been to the wedding turn up for the reception later?

Maybe someone who went last year could enlighten

Danny Devine would be up there for me but his improved form didn't kick in until December, Tomas has made the difference at the back but missed a chunk of the start of the season, Erskine has been great but again has been blighted by injury, Edwards has been great but has perhaps faded as the season draws to a close, Welsh would have been close but again his injury means he will miss a fair part of the season. Only one winner for me....Liam Lindsay. Defensive rock at the back and the goals have added icing to the cake!

Edited by Lindau

• 2 weeks later...

For me it's choice between Lindsay, Doolan or Edwards. If asked to make a choice I would go for Edwards just because of the level of high intensity game after game he is asked to bring to the team. Wouldn't be upset if any of the three won though.

Lindsay. I appreciate that Edwards is a likeable guy, but I can't understand why anyone would pick him over Lindsay, Doolan or Cerny. I'd have Welsh ahead of him if he'd completed the season, too.

Interestingly over the past couple of months I've asked our guests on Jagzone who they would vote for and while they all admitted there were many choices - I think all of them went for Edwards! - id say I asked maybe 5 players and that was the unanimous answer

If there was an award for sheer effort Edwards and Elliott would be clear front runners. Whilst I don't believe you should ever discount industry my idea of Player of the Season has to be based on performance. I felt Welsh was ahead of the pack. In the frame for MotM just about every week and another not lacking in effort. Still time for someone else to challenge Big Liam but imo Lindsay has been consistently solid at the back. Even if you argue it's been slightly easier for him playing in a back three I'd counter that with his contribution of goals and assists being an added bonus. Also at times this season I don't think our defensive midfield has been quite so strong, especially when Welsh has been absent. Last season it was the other way round with defensive mid (Abdul in particular) protecting what could often have been a bit shaky back line.

The constant over the last two seasons has been Cerny. Last season, like Abdul, constantly protecting Frans, Seaborne and a novice (Lindsay). Undoubtedly it's no mere coincidence our turn of fortune this season has coincided with Tomas's return. But if I discount Welsh as he's not played the full season then I'd have to be consistent and discount Tomas. So it's Liam Lindsay for me :thumbsup2:

Interestingly over the past couple of months I've asked our guests on Jagzone who they would vote for and while they all admitted there were many choices - I think all of them went for Edwards! - id say I asked maybe 5 players and that was the unanimous answer

They head too many balls.

Edited by Dark Passenger