New Players...

Vinnyjag

so when Paton and Erskine signed in 2013 we could have torn them up then

No, they're not binding on the player. If Murray has signed a PCA with us then he can stay with United if he wants though it might cost him some dough - think St J ended up getting £40k for Brittain as an out of court settlement even though he never kicked a ball for them

What Simon Murray would bring (if true), and I say this as a compliment is that element of bad-tempered nastiness which is a balancing counterpart to the positive role model personalities of such as Kris Doolan and Chris Erskine. In that sense, although in a different position, he would replace the double-edged fire and brimstone we have perhaps lacked since Higgy's departure.

I've always thought the Murray rumour strange and will only believe it when I see it. As much as I hate them United are a bigger club with a bigger budget and I was really hoping they would lose tonight. Sadly I think they will come up now

Pie and Bovril rumours

Amoo, Ridgers and Welsh away.

Fraser has been offered a 6 month contract and all the dev players over 19 apart from Nisbet have been released. Also Simon Murray has signed a pre contract.

If these are true I am a bit surprised about Sean Welsh, as he has had one of his best seasons and also a bit surprised that Gary Fraser is getting a contract, though maybe Sean has decided it's time to move on. Time will tell.

If true about Welsh that would be a major surprise after the fine part-season he had. It could be related to his latest injury though

Stephen O Donnell released by Luton - I would be delighted to see him return to Firhill. If we are looking to progress further I would see him as a progression on some of our fullbacks

I just posted as a new topic at the same time :)

• Like 1

Heard a rumour which would be great if true but as it's a rumour it probably won't be that we are interested in Myles Hippolyte of Falkirk. Very highly thought of and only 22. However as with the case with Simon Murray think there will be bigger clubs looking at him. He is definitely one of the stars of the championship in Scotland tipped to do great things

Heard a rumour which would be great if true but as it's a rumour it probably won't be that we are interested in Myles Hippolyte of Falkirk. Very highly thought of and only 22. However as with the case with Simon Murray think there will be bigger clubs looking at him. He is definitely one of the stars of the championship in Scotland tipped to do great things

I'm not the least bit in the know but the Hippolyte and Murray rumours were doing the rounds at least six weeks ago. Both make sense.

Of all the players that have left us, I really thought SOD and ATS would have hit the ground running down south. Both now freed. With Callum Booth having hit a brick wall in the last few months and continuing doubts about Muzzy's fitness I wonder if Archie will consider a move for either. Both are still younng guys.

Edited by Lindau
  • Like 1

Stephen O Donnell released by Luton - I would be delighted to see him return to Firhill. If we are looking to progress further I would see him as a progression on some of our fullbacks

SOD isn't a progression. He could barely defend and was limited going forward we have recruited better since he left.

The club is always bigger than the individual and he isn't going to come cheap so we should let him try and find a second div team to take him on, failing that there is always Jags B teams in Falkirk or Ayr.

• Like 2

He is though a progression - you say going forward he wasn't that great - pretty sure he has scored as many goals in the premier league as Muzzy and Elliot put together. His crossing ball in was a significantly better.

Defending- I wouldn't say was any worse than Devine, booth or even Elliot (to be fair defending is something he Was not signed for anyway and it is testsimony to his character that he is able to undertake such changes, but he is not better than SOD).

While he had a fantastic few months until January 2016 Muzzy has by and large because of injury been a complete nonentity since and there's nothing I see which suggests he is completely over his injuries in fact unfortunately it is looking like he seems to come back for a few games and then is injured again. Therefore against that backdrop SOD would be a significant improvement

Edited by Third Lanark
  • Like 1

I agree.SOD was brilliant going forward.

He's easily Scottish Prem standard and if we don't sign him, one of our rivals will. I'm surprised Luton haven't offered him a contract. Could be that he has something organised down south but if not, we should snap him up. May be tough on Christie who has looked good at RB but completion for places is positive.

realistically our budget will allow for the 3/4 targets that Archie has in his sights - central defenders x 2 and 1 or 2 forward/ progressive players - SOD will not be part of that budget nor ATS.

our right back dumbaya was injured last season and therefore we signed Ziggy. Dumbaya appears to be injured again so more than enough room to sign SOD since I doubt very much we will go after Ziggy again

The central defender role is ongoing Liam and Niall might stay, the club might have an offer in for a £1 million which can affect any budget

Again regards central defender if we require one and ATS plays in that role with Doncaster and having the advantage that he knows the club and Archie knows him very well then I would think he would be of serious consideration

While additionally although we may have defenders in Booth, Devine etc if some of the keystone cop defending we have witnessed at times from them this season is to be repeated then we may need some serious competition for them in defence

Edited by Third Lanark

Major factors that need addressed for next season in a nutshell - major improvement in fitness (no accident so many late goals), more physicality (we're a "soft" team all over the park) and a couple of players with a bit of devilment who can drag the rest along when things not goIng so well - and prepared to scrap when need be. Oh and another goal scoring forward - John Baird, Pogba and Azeez got to be 3 of the worst signings Archie has made. Hopefully top 6 cash and decent crowds of late will help attract better quality players.

It's a shame such a good season has been soured but hopefully we can get off to a better start next season to set groundwork for another successful one

• Like 1

Craigen?!

He was an honest player for us, scored a memorable goal against Morton and was good with the fans.

He isn't the type of player who is going to help us get top 6 again next season.

We need to look to improve, not sign guys who weren't deemed good enough in a team less superior to the one we have now.