New Players...

Vinnyjag

I always quite liked Sean Welsh as a player...decent passer and good at keeping the team shape...but too liable to get caught in possession...and maybe his lengthy injury absences counted against a new contract. Good luck to him in the future...except if he plays against Thistle.

Although we have a number of options in midfield, they all have question marks:-

Bannigan was a class act...will he be as good after his injury?

Fraser - he has hardly payed in the last 2 seasons and hadn't really progressed before that...but he is a talented footballer and that goal at Tynecastle was special.

Osman - key defensive role in the side but he hasn't been very good this season. Has he been struggling with injury too?

Barton - more suited to a 3 man defence...I'm not sure he is of the same calibre as a midfielder

Edwards - loads of energy & commitment...I've seen him have a couple of good games but far more indifferent ones,

McCarthy - never seen him play...hope he can step up and happy to see him given the chance.

It looked like Dumbuya, Booth & Erskine struggled with injury too so a lot will depend on the fitness of players next season...and who we bring in.

Not surprised or disappointed to see Amoo leave...he had one of his better games against Inverness beating the full back about 20 times but failed to create a clear chance. He just seemed to lack footballing fire.

Think we need to see another attacker at least who can, when called upon, get beyond Doolan. A Steven Naismith like player who can sit in behind, and also provide an outlet for Doolan. Just read that despite his 14 goals this season, Doolan is the only striker on the top goalscorers list not to provide an assist, which would suggest that we could really do with helping the guy out.

Osman, Booth and Erskine have been playing through injuries for quite a while now.

Booth in particular has laboured lately by having to play games for which he probably was not totally fit. As reflected in his performances.

Dumbuya I believe is another story.................

Edited by Barney Rubble

Good Luck to Sean , an important player in our recent rise. I dont think he can have any complaints over the way the club treated him during his injury spells either

I never thought him and Osman were the best fit in midfield however and our low goal scoring record may have been somthing to do with both of them sitting too deep at times. I dont think Archie has really ever solved that problem of getting central midfielders into the box and scoring.

Amoo annoyed the tits off me .Half the time looked as if he wasnt s arsed and oher times he could score goals like the one against St Johnstone.

Hope to see an improved Muzzyand Booth next season.

Edited by angry gaz

I will put it on record today Sean Welsh will whoever he sign's for will come back to bite us on the bum...Thinking back to all the donkeys we have had over the years never thought sean would be shown the door this year.... all the best......

Got to agree with Jimmy Mcd, Sean Welsh was undoubtedly one of our better players when fit and at 27 is probably coming in to the best years of his career.

Not really sure where the love in for Gary Fraser is coming from ( apart from the goal at Tynecastle ) , watched him and he's never dictated a game or the pace it should be played, he's never improved in the 3 years at Firhill , still taking the wrong options ( continuously shooting from ridiculous distances and trying Hollywood passes which usually end up giving the opposition possession ) , attitude leaves a lot to be desired as well , chucking it when things are going wrong .

Hopefully Archie has got something up his sleeve because Gary Fraser won't replace Sean Welsh IMO

Strange decision from Archie

Nothing against Welsh ..... but IMO always slowed down play and went backwards or sideways. Not a holding player like Osman so what did he provide going forward. Crap corner after crap corner!! Goal record!!! Defence splitting pass/ dribble. None of that. He has reached is peak with us and we need and require better to get further on in this league. All other midfielders you can see real potential or have been better when fit so a great decision from Archie who once again shows he is not afraid to make the tough decisions!! IAWT

Was surprised to see Welsh leave but I believe it's the right decision. Had his best season this year but all too often would get caught in possession or slow the play down as he was far too slow on the ball. He also has one of the worst shots I have seen at this level though still believes he can score from 30 yards out.

Fraser has a big 6 months ahead of him as it's make or break for him at this level. Not only will he need to prove his fitness but he will need to prove his attitude.

Just read that despite his 14 goals this season, Doolan is the only striker on the top goalscorers list not to provide an assist, which would suggest that we could really do with helping the guy out.

On the subject of assists I saw some chart depicting the most assists this season. Not surprisingly Hayes at Aberdeen was top of the pile. What caught my eye tho' was that not one Jags player was listed in the top 18 (and it may well be poorer than that). I suppose not having a settled team this season is largely responsible, That in a way has worked well for us with our new found strength in depth but it's still slightly a surprise that not one player made that list.

On the subject of assists I saw some chart depicting the most assists this season. Not surprisingly Hayes at Aberdeen was top of the pile. What caught my eye tho' was that not one Jags player was listed in the top 18 (and it may well be poorer than that). I suppose not having a settled team this season is largely responsible, That in a way has worked well for us with our new found strength in depth but it's still slightly a surprise that not one player made that list.

A lot of the goals, especially at the start of the season, came from set pieces. I can remember 6 or 7 from corners that Lindsay nodded in, one from a direct free kick, and maybe one or two indirectly from free kicks.

Fraser has a big 6 months ahead of him as it's make or break for him at this level. Not only will he need to prove his fitness but he will need to prove his attitude.

Agreed and I trust Archie's judgement here. Fraser still has raw talent and real potential. I think he may yet come good and fulfill this at Thistle.

• Like 1

Re the Doolan nae assists comments... it's fair to say Doolan's assists have been few and far between over the last few seasons, but those Stats sites are doing him a dis-service; I don't even know why they bother trying to tag assists in the Scottish game, as they've been a dogs dinner of it for years with no sign of improvement.

He started off with an assists hat-trick in the knock-about at Cirencester and followed on with 4 in competitive action this term:

26.07.2016 Stenhousemuir [a] W4-1 (League Cup Group E - game 3)

Kris Doolan (4-1, 86 mins)

20.08.2016 Aberdeen [a] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 2)

Kris Doolan (1-2, 90 mins)

21.01.2017 Formartine United [h] W4-0 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)

Kris Doolan (3-0, 30 mins)

01.03.2017 Dundee [a] W1-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 27)

Kris Doolan (1-0, 29 mins)

Are we also looking for a new mascot ? IIRC The Kingsford deal was for 2 years, so that will expire in the summer and we will need a new shirt sponsor. I just hope that they can come up with a mascot that is as news worthy.

That might explain why there has been no mention of the new strip for next season

Re the Doolan nae assists comments... it's fair to say Doolan's assists have been few and far between over the last few seasons, but those Stats sites are doing him a dis-service; I don't even know why they bother trying to tag assists in the Scottish game, as they've been a dogs dinner of it for years with no sign of improvement.

He started off with an assists hat-trick in the knock-about at Cirencester and followed on with 4 in competitive action this term:

26.07.2016 Stenhousemuir [a] W4-1 (League Cup Group E - game 3)

Kris Doolan (4-1, 86 mins)

20.08.2016 Aberdeen [a] L1-2 (SPFL Premiership - game 2)

Kris Doolan (1-2, 90 mins)

21.01.2017 Formartine United [h] W4-0 (Scottish Cup 4th Round)

Kris Doolan (3-0, 30 mins)

01.03.2017 Dundee [a] W1-0 (SPFL Premiership - game 27)

Kris Doolan (1-0, 29 mins)

I know you have posted on the subject before, but I get annoyed by the definition of an assist. For example, if a player takes a corner to the back post, it gets headed back across the goal and another player puts it away, I feel that both the corner taker and the player who headed it should get an assist. This is how it works in ice hockey. Similarly, if a player takes a shot that is saved and another player scores from the rebound, I feel the first player is due an assist too.

I know you have posted on the subject before, but I get annoyed by the definition of an assist. For example, if a player takes a corner to the back post, it gets headed back across the goal and another player puts it away, I feel that both the corner taker and the player who headed it should get an assist. This is how it works in ice hockey. Similarly, if a player takes a shot that is saved and another player scores from the rebound, I feel the first player is due an assist too.

I get annoyed about assists too, but my beef is all down to mis-identification and complete inconsistency of application; the mis-reporting of Doolan is just the tip of the iceberg. As regards the plays themselves, I think your first scenario is valid as it is clearly in the spirit of rewarding a decisive action which results in a goal. The problem is, once you accept the principle of more than one assist per goal, where does it end? What if there’s a lovely bit of head tennis between three that results in a goal, do you award three assists? And although your header back across goal example sounds like a perfect candidate, the reality of real-time plays very rarely leads to such perfect, easy to judge scenarios. The two assists principle would lead to all sorts of subjective decision making on a week-to-week basis and, frankly, in my opinion, there can be no room for subjectivity when it comes to compiling stats. Your second scenario is a complete non-starter for me – in no way, shape or form should a failed attempt on goal be rewarded with an assist.

The Player Fund.......................................

At the beginning of last season the club started the player fund where-by you could setup a direct debit and contribute if you were in a fortunate enough position to do so.

Has there been any feedback from the club as to how it is progressing? Basically, is there enough people contributing to make it worthwhile?