New Players...

Vinnyjag

Amazing signing, we've kept all of our defence together from last season apart from Lindsay but I've got faith in Archie to get a good replacement for him. We've got a very good lineup for the start of the season even if we don't do anymore business (we probably will though) On the first day against Hibs we could have

Cerny

Dumbuya Devine Keown Booth

Osman

Bannigan Barton

Erskine Lawless

Doolan

A solid defence will be made even better once we get in the Lindsay replacement (probably some English guy we've never heard of I think), the midfield IMO is one of the best in Scotland and the forward line has two very creative wingers and a reliable 10-15 goals a season striker plus we might sign Eli Babalj (the trialist striker in our friendly today).

We'll have an even better team than last year and hopefully finish top six again. IMO our challengers for top six are Killie and Hearts, don't believe in all the hype about Hibs, bang average team with Brian Graham, Simon Murray and Martin Boyle as their main strikers, John McGinn is probably away so they'll be weakened and won't finish top six. We could maybe even push for a Europa League spot with that team! (Sorry if this post is a bit long)

• Like 1

Very pleased with Keown's signing.

If you look at the players we released at the end of last season and who has come in we are in a good position.

Amoo replaced by Spittal; Ridgers replaced by Sneddon plus Welsh & Wilson will be replaced by Bannigan & Fraser so we still need another Centre Back to replace Lindsay. Another striker who can take some of the pressure off Doolan would be nice as well.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Amazing signing, we've kept all of our defence together from last season apart from Lindsay but I've got faith in Archie to get a good replacement for him. We've got a very good lineup for the start of the season even if we don't do anymore business (we probably will though) On the first day against Hibs we could have

Cerny

Osman

Bannigan Barton

Erskine Lawless

Doolan

A solid defence will be made even better once we get in the Lindsay replacement (probably some English guy we've never heard of I think), the midfield IMO is one of the best in Scotland and the forward line has two very creative wingers and a reliable 10-15 goals a season striker plus we might sign Eli Babalj (the trialist striker in our friendly today).

We'll have an even better team than last year and hopefully finish top six again. IMO our challengers for top six are Killie and Hearts, don't believe in all the hype about Hibs, bang average team with Brian Graham, Simon Murray and Martin Boyle as their main strikers, John McGinn is probably away so they'll be weakened and won't finish top six. We could maybe even push for a Europa League spot with that team!������������ (Sorry if this post is a bit long)

Total and utter mince. Mark my words as my predictions on here are never wrong. We will NOT finish in the top 6. 11 or 10th if we get lucky.

That is fantastic news.

On the topic of who we need, perhaps another centre back and someone to share the strain with Doolan? We need another left central central defender, imho, and someone else that is a goal threat (read, can actually score goals).. The rest of the team seems kinda OK?

I am pretty sure Archie is working on it. ;-)

• Like 1

... the midfield IMO is one of the best in Scotland and the forward line has two very creative wingers and a reliable 10-15 goals a season striker plus we might sign Eli Babalj (the trialist striker in our friendly today). We'll have an even better team than last year and hopefully finish top six again. )

Looked him up. His over all record isn't much better than Azeez - and Azeez is a few years younger and could improve - so I don't see the point. In fact I don't see the point of any forward kind of player unless he's got goals in him. Lawless, Erskine, Spittal, even Bannigan and Barton will create chances and even contribute the odd goal and we have three forwards - so if we bring in another attacking player, whether forward or midfield, he's got to have some reasonable record of goals scored (even if it's not world shattering which we couldn't afford anyway).

That is fantastic news. On the topic of who we need, perhaps another centre back and someone to share the strain with Doolan? We need another left central central defender, imho, and someone else that is a goal threat (read, can actually score goals).. The rest of the team seems kinda OK? I am pretty sure Archie is working on it. ;-)

If Bannigan - who is now fit again - gets back the form he was showing just before he got injured we will have virtually a new player and one who would have cost us a lot of money to sign if he wasn't already with us. Erskine, Lawless and Barton are a bit inconsistent** but are capable on their day of damaging opposition teams (and Spittal probably falls into that category too) so I'd say our midfield is a lot better than OK. Now we've signed Keown our back four looks pretty solid though we now need a good left sided back for cover/balance. In fact we've got a pretty good all-round team. Our only weakness (though I suppose it is a big one) is we're too dependant on Dools for goals.

**By inconsistent I mean in showing their best form. Even when not at their best they are always hard working and trying their best, something the whole team has.

Edited by Mr Bunny

I really hope he comes back. For a while he was my favourite PTFC player. Fingers crossed!

I am totally confident he will be back. My one slight doubt is whether he will re-find the terrific form he was on before he got injured. He has such a great attitude and mentality for the game though that I'm sure he will still be a first class player for us regardless.

We still need a left side CB and a striker for the first team

I never say we didn't. The left sided CB is a given but I don't think we'll make any further first team standard signings without a player going out on loan. I'm also not that sure that Archie has changed his formation philosophy so much that he'll sign an out and out striker as opposed to another wide attacking player with a reasonable goal scoring record.

What is indisputable is that here we are on the 1st July wondering whether to expect just one or two further signings. I'd guess at this time of the year we're usually expecting one or two leaving and three or four being signed. Worth pointing out we haven't even brought in any loan players to date. One decent replacement for Liam and I reckon we'll be sound. Add another decent quality attacker and we'll be better off than ever.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 2

Archie has now paid for Barton and Keown so its about time we pay for a decent striker. Love dools to bits and he will always chip in with goals but we are way too reliant on him and even though he is fit as a fiddle he ain't getting any younger.

I honestly can't believe we have some on here saying "a left sided centre back and we are fine" are you serious..if we have any hope of staying were we finished last season or improving we need another goal threat..we lost so many points last season by not finishing teams off..defence was not our issue last season it was scoring goals..We must recruit another goal scorer

• Like 5

Cerny

Osman

Bannigan Barton

Erskine Lawless

Doolan

We'll have an even better team than last year and hopefully finish top six again. IMO our challengers for top six are Killie and Hearts, don't believe in all the hype about Hibs, bang average team with Brian Graham, Simon Murray and Martin Boyle as their main strikers, John McGinn is probably away so they'll be weakened and won't finish top six. We could maybe even push for a Europa League spot with that team!������������ (Sorry if this post is a bit long)

dont think Murray is as bad a striker as your making out mate. Archie tried to sign him so must have rated him

In my humble opinion, we are still going to finish a bit off 6th with this current team. At the back, I am still not convinced by Devine. Yes he improved as the season went on, but even at his best, I thought he was...'just fine.' Two silly red cards against Hearts and Aberdeen in the cup, and we don't have much cover other than shoehorning Barton in at CB again, which I don't think is his best position.

Up front, we must remember that Erskine and Doolan will turn 31 this season. In terms of typical progression, their best days are behind them. Even last season I noticed that Erskine wasn't as brisk on his feet as he once was. And it certainly isn't fair to lay the burden again exclusively at the feet of Kris Doolan for goals, especially since Lindsay's goalscoring heroics won't be there. One hope I have is that Fraser will get fit again. Despite him not being the best footballer in the world, his goalscoring record from CM is actually pretty impressive. It is also imperative that Edwards gets amongst the goals.

I still think we need three more players: defender, midfielder, and striker.

Total and utter mince. Mark my words as my predictions on here are never wrong. We will NOT finish in the top 6. 11 or 10th if we get lucky.

I never said we WOULD finish in the top 6 I said hopefully IMO I think we'll be 8th. Plus someone on the P&B was tipping us for 4th so you never know!

Edited by Knightswood Jag