New Players...

Vinnyjag

So far we have brought in a winger and a central defender. There must be enough left in the kitty to bring at least one more player. As Paukea said, our downfall in a lot of games last season was our inability to score more goals which would have buried teams, instead we conceded late on to throw away points. Its imperative that the next signing is an attacker.

So far we have brought in a winger and a central defender. There must be enough left in the kitty to bring at least one more player. As Paukea said, our downfall in a lot of games last season was our inability to score more goals which would have buried teams, instead we conceded late on to throw away points. Its imperative that the next signing is an attacker.

I think that we will need to shift one from Azeez, Dools or Nisbet before we get in another striker. I would suspect that we will still be playing 1 up front and we won't want 4 strikers on the books. For me, we still look light by one central defender, preferably a naturally left sided one

• Like 1

Amazing signing, we've kept all of our defence together from last season apart from Lindsay but I've got faith in Archie to get a good replacement for him. We've got a very good lineup for the start of the season even if we don't do anymore business (we probably will though) On the first day against Hibs we could have

Cerny

Dumbuya Devine Keown Booth

Osman

Bannigan Barton

Erskine Lawless

Doolan

I love Lawless as he got us promoted and will akways look for the ball but if we want to push on and stay in the top 6 i would say he is a player we need to upgrade. We need more goals and an athlete - taller, stronger and someone who takes care of their body.

• Like 1

Agree definitely an attack minded player but another centreback is more urgent. For much of the season I'd have argued that we weren't creating chances for any striker to score. I'd couple that with midfielders not running past the striker often enough hence so few goals from the likes of Edwards and Welsh. Towards the end of the season the goal scoring chances increased somewhat and by and large if they didn't fall to Dools then they were usually squandered. Not sure which way Archie will go in terms of either bringing in a forward who can be trusted to both provide scoring chances and chip in with a few or sign an out and out striker, We're crying out for some more pace in attacking areas so hopefully that'll be considered as well.

Archie said he wanted 3 or 4 in but that was before Lindsay left. So we should be hoping for another 2 to come. Possibly with one or two going out on loan.

I took it he was accepting Lindsay would be away so one or maybe two to come in. Definitely will require players going out on loan to accommodate further signings. Getting the right club in the right league for whoever goes out on loan is all important and not that easy a task.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

from the squad at the end of season we've lost Lindsay, Amoo, Welsh, Keown, Banton (I know), Wilson, and Ridgers.

So far we've replaced Ridgers with Sneddon, Amoo with Spittal, and Keown with ...eh... Keown.

You could also argue Bannigan and Fraser are effectively replacements for Welsh and Wilson. So that leaves 2 replacements to be found assuming like for like. Also, since promoition we've tended to run with a squad of 22-23 senior players, at the moment we've only got 18 who are over the dev squad age limit. If the likes of Penrice / McCarthy / McLaughlin are going out on loan then we'll need a couple more first team level players when we inevitably get injuries and suspensions.

I think that we will need to shift one from Azeez, Dools or Nisbet before we get in another striker. I would suspect that we will still be playing 1 up front and we won't want 4 strikers on the books. For me, we still look light by one central defender, preferably a naturally left sided one

Correct. Archie said in his recent interview that he still wants a left sided defender, there will definitely be one coming in.

I can't see him running with four strikers so, if we are signing one, one will need to go out. Won't be Doolan or Azeez so Nisbet is key. Archie will either have to loan him out or start giving him some game time and I get the impression he doesn't feel Nisbet is ready yet. As LIB says, it is also important where a player goes to as well. Also, will he be played all the time and will other club pay all his wages?

We've also got young Neil McLaughlin to call on, who scored 28 goals for development squad last season, should we get hit by injuries.

A proven goal scorer would be great but they are few and far between.

Just to suggest to LIB, do you recall the striking partnership of Jimmy Bone and Frankie Coulston? It is that sort of partnership I would like to see us having up front. The two of them weren't much less than telepathic in their mutual understanding. Apart from right now, that was my happiest time being a Jags Fan.

• Like 2

Just to suggest to LIB, do you recall the striking partnership of Jimmy Bone and Frankie Coulston? It is that sort of partnership I would like to see us having up front. The two of them weren't much less than telepathic in their mutual understanding. Apart from right now, that was my happiest time being a Jags Fan.

Don't think we ever play with two up long or often enough to get that sort of telepathic partnership. Best I suppose we've got to offer is Doolan &Erskine who have a great understanding.

As a slight aside my major gripe about Azeez isn't so much his blatant misses as such, more his decision making. He shoots when he should run in. He passes when he should retain the ball or more often than not vice versa. If he could just drastically improve on that part of his game he too could form a useful partnership with one or two other attacking players.

Btw I don't believe mentioning the Somner/Craig pairing in the same breath as Bone/Coulston would detract from your comments re the latter. I'll happily sit on the fence if anybody wants to argue which twosome were the most effective. :)

I think most folk realise that. However it's important that we got at least one CB in early and we've done that - not only that he's a guy who will slot straight into the team with no need of acclimatisation. So we have a solid back 4 and Barton and Elliot for cover which means the pressure is off a bit: the manager can afford to wait to sign the best player we can get. It's a big improvement on the situation of recent seasons.

Regarding another forward, again everyone agrees we need another goal-scorer but I don't think Nesbit will go out on loan, at least not right away. This is his season to try to break through. If he doesn't do it he may go out on loan in January so we can bring another forward in. At the moment though I don't think we'll bring a forward in or at least not a guy who is purely a forward, more likely another winger or an attacking midfielder who can also operate as a forward - and hopefully can give a decent goals return.

Everywhere else in the team we are well covered: defensive midfield, Bannigan, Osman, Barton, Edwards; attacking midfield, Erskine, Lawless, Spittal (and both Bannigan and Edwards can play further forward; Elliot who can fit into a number of positions and young McCarthy will likely feature also.

Midfielders need to start scoring and putting away the chances they get. Looking at the highlights from the last few seasons and the midfield have had many great chances to score and secure those games we ended up drawing or losing, The Ghost knew where the net was and j believe that wasn't as good a squad as this. Would like to see our current midfield players stats for games played/ goals scored and I think it would make poor reading. Hope I am proved wrong but this would take the pressure of everyone not just Dools.

Midfielders need to start scoring and putting away the chances they get. Looking at the highlights from the last few seasons and the midfield have had many great chances to score and secure those games we ended up drawing or losing, The Ghost knew where the net was and j believe that wasn't as good a squad as this. Would like to see our current midfield players stats for games played/ goals scored and I think it would make poor reading. Hope I am proved wrong but this would take the pressure of everyone not just Dools.

Could we sit our midfielders down with the last but one promotion winning video and ask them to ponder and replicate the running and finishing of Danny Lennon, Derek Fleming and Martin Hardie? A lower standard granted, but they must have nabbed approx 30 goals between them, Even half of that would be a huge upgrade on the current midfield scoring statistics.

Edited by partickthedog

Could we sit our midfielders down with the last but one promotion winning video and ask them to ponder and replicate the running and finishing of Danny Lennon, Derek Fleming and Martin Hardie? A lower standard granted, but they must have nabbed approx 30 goals between them, Even half of that would be a huge upgrade on the current midfield scoring statistics.

Why not our last promotion season when Lawless and Erskine scored more than those three combined?

Why not our last promotion season when Lawless and Erskine scored more than those three combined?

I would regard those two as forwards supplementing the midfield rather than midfielders supplementing the attack. It is the particular skills of the latter in running beyond the forwards or arriving late in the box a la Frank Lampard that we need to re-learn.

Edited by partickthedog

I said months ago that we should sign Meekings, but there are rumours that he's talking to Dundee.

We should be looking at a season-long loan for Michael O'Halloran. Rangers want him away, he did well at St. Johnstone and can play in a number of forward positions. Would he come to us? Not sure but he'll be looking for regular first team action. Could see him returning to St. Johnstone but we should enquire, IMO.

Hearts want Sammon out, hope to God that Archie is not interested.

I said months ago that we should sign Meekings, but there are rumours that he's talking to Dundee.

Just over ten months ago I doubt if many of us had heard of Niall Keown and Adam Barton. No denying Meekings is a decent centreback but I trust Archie to dig up another mystery man. If he turns out to be not as good as Meekings it's more likely to be down to finances rather than not chasing the player.

• Like 1